Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi S5 Tint Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S5 Tint Warning

So I figured that I should make this post to warn those that are planning to get their S5 or A5 tinted. Tinting is a mod pretty much everyone gets so this should be helpful.

Yesterday I took my car to a reputable tint shop and well I went to go pick it up and it turned out great . However, as i was driving, I decided to listen to some music and no sound was coming from the the speakers at all. The MMI was working but no sound... I quickly realized that they must have shorted my amp or something with all that water they use and I was right. I went home and opened the trunk and it was pretty wet . I called them back and said I think you messed up my speakers and they said let them dry... I was like are you serious let them dry out. You shorted something. Monday I will go to to the dealership and see if they will replace it under warranty. If not I'm going to make the shop responsible for paying for the damage.

So if you plan on getting tint make sure the shop covers up everything that can get shorted before they tint. It will save you the headache.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well known issue, and it isn't going to be cheap to replace. Have read ~$2K. Best to use towels and plastic to cover the amp during tinting. Search A5OC forums for plenty of examples.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't agree that Audi should replace it, not their fault. Tint shop should be on the hook.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^^^+1. Audi isn't the responsible party over here. Even if they careless enough to let you replace it under warranty (which I highly doubt that), it's still not fair. You have to be on top of it with the shop and don't cut them any slack or else it's your own headache afterward.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
^^^+1. Audi isn't the responsible party over here. Even if they careless enough to let you replace it under warranty (which I highly doubt that), it's still not fair. You have to be on top of it with the shop and don't cut them any slack or else it's your own headache afterward.
I agree that its not audi's fault clearly. If it's covered under warranty they may or may not replace it. However, the tint shop is the one at fault. This isn't their first euro or high end car. They have tinted lamborghini, ferrari, audi, bmw, etc.. They are clearly at fault when they didnt think to cover up the electronics. Also i shouldn't have to tell them to do anything. This is my car that they have to be careful with. They are a business, its not the customers job to tell them to be careful. When you drop your car off to get anything done you dont tell them be careful when you do change the oil or put on new wheels. You shouldn't have to. It should already be guaranteed that they will take all precautions to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Anyways the main purpose of this thread is to make sure other people don't run into this problem of assuming a business will do what it should to ensure nothing goes wrong to your car.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just experienced this same problem as well when my windows were tinted.

Fortunately my Audi dealer replaced the amp even after asking if I recently had the windows tinted.I guess I was lucky.

In any event, I noticed on the work order that Audi also installed a shield over the new amp to protect it from future water damage. A TSB was referenced on the work order. Obviously Audi must be aware of a design defect and has taken precautions to minimize water damage problems with the addition of a metal water shield over the amp.

Sounds like an admission of guilt!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is why you shouldn't cheap out and get it tinted by dealer
Old 03-03-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't understand this happening on a car that's been out for four freaking years.
The tint shop is def on the hook for this... they should know about the B8 design and the amp/electronics being in the trunk.

Hell, I went to a small, one person tint shop in BFE and he knew about it.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by billfga
I just experienced this same problem as well when my windows were tinted.

Fortunately my Audi dealer replaced the amp even after asking if I recently had the windows tinted.I guess I was lucky.

In any event, I noticed on the work order that Audi also installed a shield over the new amp to protect it from future water damage. A TSB was referenced on the work order. Obviously Audi must be aware of a design defect and has taken precautions to minimize water damage problems with the addition of a metal water shield over the amp.

Sounds like an admission of guilt!
I hope they do that for me as well. I guess ill find out next week. Anyways i went to the guy at the shop today and he was nice enough to agree to pay for it if they dont replace it. Always go to a reputable shop. Another lesson to learn is to check the forums for whatever it is you are going to get done to see if anyone ran into problems. Who would have thought window tinting would be so much trouble..
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
I really don't understand this happening on a car that's been out for four freaking years.
The tint shop is def on the hook for this... they should know about the B8 design and the amp/electronics being in the trunk.

Hell, I went to a small, one person tint shop in BFE and he knew about it.
Yeh doesn't make sense. A lot of german cars have a design like this. I figured people would be aware..

Quick Reply: Audi S5 Tint Warning