Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi S5 Rewiring & Activating Parking Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi S5 Rewiring & Activating Parking Lights

Hi all:

I have an Audi S5 2010 USA Model and I want to rewire my headlights to turn on the parking lights. Currently, the US model has amber side marker lights that light up and non-functional parking lights. Where the parking lights suppose to be, there is a gray dummy plug in it.

Does anyone know how to rewire the headlights so that instead of having the amber side lights on, the parking light will be on. I like to plug in an LED error free bulb into the parking lights.

I know I can probably switch the headlights to e-code, but they are rediculously expensive ($1600/pair). Unlike a lot of people, I don't mind having the amber side reflectors, I just like to have my parking lights to function.

Thanks for any help
Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should be getting my ecodes this week and they are going to be pre-wired for the city lights. Ill take a pic of the wiring and post it here.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

That would be awsome...thx
Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chucky0731

Does anyone know how to rewire the headlights so that instead of having the amber side lights on, the parking light will be on. I like to plug in an LED error free bulb into the parking lights.
I haven't actually done it on my '09, but in the black 14-pin connector that connects to the headlight housing, pin 13 runs the side marker light, and pin 8 the parking light bulb. You could swap them in the wiring harness before it plugs into the headlight housing, or else open up the headlight access port and do it in there.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thx for the info...I will try that.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cabriolow
I should be getting my ecodes this week and they are going to be pre-wired for the city lights. Ill take a pic of the wiring and post it here.
Really? I although i knew the E-codes have the city lights, I didn;t think anyone was able to get them to work in NA?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zee007
Really? I although i knew the E-codes have the city lights, I didn;t think anyone was able to get them to work in NA?
Just installed my e-codes yesterday and the euro city lights do work. I tried to find out how they were wired but couldn't as it is all internal.

I dont see what the big deal is honestly. Its just this stupid little bulb that is barely noticeable over the LEDs.
Also - with the clear white xenons and the clear white LEDS, the city bulb looks dingy white. I;m going to shut mine off.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cabriolow

I dont see what the big deal is honestly. Its just this stupid little bulb that is barely noticeable over the LEDs.
Also - with the clear white xenons and the clear white LEDS, the city bulb looks dingy white. I;m going to shut mine off.

I agree....with regular bulbs I don't think they look as good. Did you try to replace your City Lights with LED Bulbs? I personally think they look great ON if you replaced them with LED Bulbs.

Pic 1 is City Lights with regular bulbs...very yellowish. The 2nd and 3rd pics are City Lights with LED Bulbs. These pics are actual members' car: Quattrings & TxCarGuy from A5 Owner's Club Forum
Attached Images    
Old 03-22-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chucky0731
I agree....with regular bulbs I don't think they look as good. Did you try to replace your City Lights with LED Bulbs? I personally think they look great ON if you replaced them with LED Bulbs.

Pic 1 is City Lights with regular bulbs...very yellowish. The 2nd and 3rd pics are City Lights with LED Bulbs. These pics are actual members' car: Quattrings & TxCarGuy from A5 Owner's Club Forum
SOLD!!! thanks for the great idea!

thats why i love these forums - even old dogs can learn new tricks
Old 03-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry if this comes off as a dumb question, but e-code headlights - are they just headlights without the amber bits (that are delivered for the US market?)

Quick Reply: Audi S5 Rewiring & Activating Parking Lights