Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

An Audi dilemma... (S5 vs S3/TTS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Audi dilemma... (S5 vs S3/TTS)

Hey guys.. (also posted in the S3 section to get a less biased outlook )

I'm looking hard at an Audi in the next 6-8 months, but I'm having so much trouble making a decision. I currently own a 2014 VW CC, and I'm happy with it as a daily, but I'm really ready to move on and get a second car. I previously had a MK6 VW Golf R, which was excellent, but I decided to get out of it before the MK7 came out (probably a good idea considering all of the good press it's getting).

Here's my situation and why this is difficult for me:

- If I'm buying a second car, it absolutely must be a manual transmission. Period. This limits my options. If I'm replacing my CC it's not important (it's currently a DSG).

- I'm really impressed with the MK7 Golf R (a good friend just purchased one), and the S3 has therefore come on my radar as it's essentially the same car underneath. Instead of buying an S5 I've been thinking of trading my CC for an S3, and hopefully this will scratch the itch of replacing my Golf R long enough for other options to come available in 2-3 years.

- The car I lust after the most, the Audi S5, is nearing its model run end and will be replaced in the next 18-24 months by the B9 model, therefore it compares poorly to other cars in its same class.

- The other car that I REALLY want is the MKIII TTS. However, from what I've read all journalists are saying that Audi is refusing to bring this car to the US with a manual transmission.

So my options are:

1) Buy a current S5 once the 2016 becomes available, which will be end-of-summer or early Fall. The S5 is gorgeous, comes with a manual transmission and is at the end of its model run so there may be incentives and value packages available, plus the platform has been well sorted by this point. Issues with the S5: Weight and power. The S3 is faster for nearly $10,000 less...

2) Trade my CC on an S3 in DSG as a daily, and hope that this will be enough of a car for me to wait 2-3 years and possibly look at the new TT-RS (possibly a manual?) or B9 S5, the latter which is supposed to be 200-300 lbs. lighter.

3) Hold on for the slight, remote possibility that the upcoming MKIII TTS will be available with a manual transmission.

P.S.: Financially, none of these options present an issue. Obviously trading for an S3 would be the best option out of these three financially, as it would not incur another large purchase, but none of these options would force a financial stretch.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test drive the S3 and the S5. I saw an S3 the other day, and it looked good to me. Not as good as the S5 but still good.

I have a feeling the S3 may be more rewarding to drive. But I am a lightweight car enthusiast.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

My 2 cents: The reason I bought an Audi "5" was for the styling. From the day the "5" came out, I have wanted one. I picked the S because I wanted more horsepower than the 2.0t, less car as a daily than the RS, and a manual. The styling just rings with me and I feel it will be a classic. The S3 is okay, but doesn't match up styling-wise with the S5. Whether you feel that strong pull is purely a personal decision.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jsausley

- The car I lust after the most, the Audi S5, is nearing its model run end and will be replaced in the next 18-24 months by the B9 model, therefore it compares poorly to other cars in its same class.
I would have to take exception to this statement, since I've seen the S5 go up against the 435i in comparisons and still win. The field was wide open for me when I leased my S5 in January, and I still chose it because it's a GREAT car.

IMO, it is hard to improve on perfection, and the S5 is just about as perfect as it gets from a looks (inside and out), comfort and driving standpoint. It is nice and quiet, but that engine screams when you step on it and the exhaust barks. It hauls and stays planted to the ground. My recommendation is that you drive both the S5 and S3 before making a decision. I think the only advantages to the S3 are upgraded technology and a slightly faster 0-60 time. It is also a nice-looking car, though not a "classic" like the S5.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I mean that it compares poorly, I mostly mean in the technology/options category. Some of the new available options make you realize how old these cars are.

Yes, they are wonderful cars, however. And when I look at how good the S3/Golf R are, in comparison with the last generation, it makes me wonder how absolutely much better the B9 S5 will be.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I mean that it compares poorly, I mostly mean in the technology/options category. Some of the new available options make you realize how old these cars are.
I disagree, my 2014 S5 has the same modern tech as any new car out there. the MMI is great and much easier to use than the mercedes or bmw systems. the S3 is a cool little car but it's very small inside so the value of it being a 4 door is compromised by how hard it is for an adult to get into the back seat. so why but the 4 door when you can get the 2 door coupe that looks better?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mikejaeggi
I disagree, my 2014 S5 has the same modern tech as any new car out there. the MMI is great and much easier to use than the mercedes or bmw systems. the S3 is a cool little car but it's very small inside so the value of it being a 4 door is compromised by how hard it is for an adult to get into the back seat. so why but the 4 door when you can get the 2 door coupe that looks better?
I agree re: the tech. I just traded a '13 Lexus GS F Sport, which was the most recently introduced model in its class, and it didn't have a 3G connection, nor could I use voice command to search "Google Earth" destinations like in my S5. Granted, the S5 has a small nav screen by today's standards, but the MMI system is still much better than the mouse pad in the Lexus. I think the tech only pales in comparison to newer Audis, not compared to other brands. But if cutting-edge tech is what is really important to you, you may be better off with the other choices. Just search the forums and make sure the new tech is actually working. ;-)

Last edited by dseag2; 03-29-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This alone is reason enough for me not to get an A/S3:

Old 04-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, that dash is pretty atrocious.. I actually briefly considered an A3 2.0T Quattro for a daily before I bought my CC, but decided on the CC because it had a nicer, more upscale interior for $3,000 less. Obviously it didn't have as many features and lacked AWD, but the quality is/was better than the more expensive A3.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that dash is pretty atrocious.. I actually briefly considered an A3 2.0T Quattro for a daily before I bought my CC, but decided on the CC because it had a nicer, more upscale interior for $3,000 less. Obviously it didn't have as many features and lacked AWD, but the quality is/was better than the more expensive A3.
You are correct about the cheapness. I had an A3 loaner for 2 days, and I distinctly remember the cheap looking interior.

Quick Reply: An Audi dilemma... (S5 vs S3/TTS)