Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi A5 Coupe to debut on June 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also this link... which is already live. LIVE VIDEO: Watch Audi AG reveal all ?new? A5 Coupe in Germany - egmCarTech

Also, is it just me or does it look pretty much exactly like the new A4, except with only 2 doors? What is actually going to happen that will differentiate it other than the sportback? (/sarcasm)

Ugh... I missed the reveal. Thought it started at 1:15pm pacific time. Someone failed timezone math.

Last edited by marnes; 06-02-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that a manual is available for the A5 4 cylinder but if I am reading the press kt correctly, the S5 and the turbo 6 cyl is automatic only...is that correct?
Old 06-02-2016, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you're correct. Here's a quote from the Audi Digital Illustrated website featuring the A5/S5:

The new Audi A5 Coupé comes with a drivetrain solution tailor-made for each engine variant. The manual six-speed gearbox and the seven-speed S tronic are used with the four-cylinder engines as well as the 160 kW (218 hp) 3.0 TDI with front- or all-wheel drive. The eight-speed tiptronic is reserved for the top diesel with 210 kW (286 hp) and the S5 engine. Both engines come standard with quattro all-wheel drive. Audi also offers the optional rear-axle sport differential for even more dynamic driving and precision.

The new quattro with ultra technology is also available for the first time. At the moment it can be combined with the four-cylinder TFSI and TDI engines with manual transmission. Optimized for efficiency, the drive system does not exhibit any perceptible differences to permanent systems in terms of traction and driving dynamics.

Last edited by plat27265; 06-02-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Even though it is not radically different from the existing version, I think it looks pretty good. I like the character line on the side. The car's stance is rather sporty and the fender arch by the rear wheel is very nice. I like the headlights and the front overall looks okay. I do not like the 4 lines on the hood, to me it looks way too busy. In my opinion the hood would have looked better without the extra two creases in the middle. I hated the glued on ipad display in the new A4 and I hate it here as well! The screen should be retractable! Otherwise the interior is okay, same as the A4. I welcome the extra rear seat room, which judging by the pictures is much more generous than in the current model. I think the A5 Sportback version will be a winner, nice sporty and sleek look with a usable back seat. It will look 100x better than the A4.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still totally waiting for the new SQ5. Hopefully announced in Frankfurt
Old 06-02-2016, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverstroke
Even though it is not radically different from the existing version, I think it looks pretty good. I like the character line on the side. The car's stance is rather sporty and the fender arch by the rear wheel is very nice. I like the headlights and the front overall looks okay. I do not like the 4 lines on the hood, to me it looks way too busy. In my opinion the hood would have looked better without the extra two creases in the middle. I hated the glued on ipad display in the new A4 and I hate it here as well! The screen should be retractable! Otherwise the interior is okay, same as the A4. I welcome the extra rear seat room, which judging by the pictures is much more generous than in the current model. I think the A5 Sportback version will be a winner, nice sporty and sleek look with a usable back seat. It will look 100x better than the A4.
I can't say that I disagree on the new design. I expect the front end will grow on me as I look over the pictures more, and I wish the center monitor was retractable. The fact that it is permanent makes me think its a cost cutting decision.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to when the sportback might be unveiled?
Old 06-02-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hood looks like a Ford

Maybe I'm wrong, but hood looks similar to a Ford for me...

Old 06-02-2016, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Videos are up.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DJ 2.7T
Maybe I'm wrong, but hood looks similar to a Ford for me...

I agree! I knew it looked familiar I just could not place it where I saw those lines!

Last edited by silverstroke; 06-02-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MattMan3104
I can't say that I disagree on the new design. I expect the front end will grow on me as I look over the pictures more, and I wish the center monitor was retractable. The fact that it is permanent makes me think its a cost cutting decision.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to when the sportback might be unveiled?
I think the rumor is that it will be unveiled in the fall and will be coming to the US next spring, about 2-3 months after the A5.

Quick Reply: Audi A5 Coupe to debut on June 2