Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi A5 2.0- Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Audi A5 2.0- Why?

I mean, if I want to buy a premium luxury car I would not want to opt for a 2.0 liter engine. There was a comparison between the BMW 328i and the Audi A4 with the same 2.0 liter engine and it showed that the 328i with the 3.0 engine has better gas mileage. The 2.0 has torque but it is not refined and I still don't understand why Audi would offer this instead of a 3.0 and make a 3.5 liter or bigger for a V6 engine lineup. In comparison to its competitors, Audis have weaker engine it certain category with so-so gas mileage. I am stumped. Couldn't Audi of dumped the 3.2 and make a 3.5 and create a 3.0 with enough power and gas mileage that could match the BMW and Mercedes? Why stick with a smaller engine to achieve good gas mileage? It tells me that they are not thinking. DOn't get me wrong, I am planning to get an A5 with the 3.2, but I don't like the fact you can get it with a tiny engine.....
Old 06-18-2009, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new S cars (S4, 2011 S5) are going to have 3.0 supercharged V6 engines. Audi is downsizing in general in an efficiency effort. They have completely phased out the 3.2 V6 for the A3, A4, and TT for model year 2010. They may end up doing the same for the A5 once the 2011 model year rolls around, who knows.

The current iteration of the 2.0 TFSI is very close in performance to the 3.2 V6, and has better fuel economy. It has also won international engine of the year awards in its size class for 5 years. It's also a more interesting engine if you're an enthusiast looking to tune your car after purchase. A sub-$1K software upgrade would get you performance that should be easily better than the 3.2 V6. If you get bored with a 3.2, you have to buy an S5...if you get bored with 2.0, you chip it.

It really comes down to a matter of preference, but I for one am glad they have expanded the line-up. The cost savings in the 2.0 model also allowed me to add more options to the car and keep within the same budget.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i agree the 2.0 engine is not good

i have driven 3 cars with this engine. it is like a sewing machine. it may run almost as fast as the 3.2 engine but it sounds horrible and just try driving in 90 degree heat with the air on full blast. the freaking engine vibrates. you can fel it in the steering wheel. i would never by an A5 with this engine. there is no comparision in the two engines if you ask me. i think it is a mistake. a car car that cost close to 45k with some basic options does not need this engine.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fandawg
i have driven 3 cars with this engine. it is like a sewing machine. it may run almost as fast as the 3.2 engine but it sounds horrible and just try driving in 90 degree heat with the air on full blast. the freaking engine vibrates. you can fel it in the steering wheel. i would never by an A5 with this engine. there is no comparision in the two engines if you ask me. i think it is a mistake. a car car that cost close to 45k with some basic options does not need this engine.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on what you said about the vibration transmitted to the steering wheel on acceleration when hot outside, it feels terrible and cheap. Should only be refined or forget about it. It fits well for the volkswagen. But, each to their own opinion on what car and engine they prefer. Its just that from a tier 1 premium brand, its dilutes the brand to have a very very small engine to make it cheaper.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

This also depends very much on one's definition of "luxury". To me luxury is comfort, quiet, amenities. All the sound insulation, seats, electronic options are the same in the 2.0T as the V6. We also have a Volkswagen Jetta as a commuter car and trust me, the standard 2.5L 5-cyl in the Jetta is garbage compared to the 2.0T.

Before choosing a car, I drove the A5 3.2 and the A4 2.0T S-line. The 2.0T felt better off the line to me, and doing mostly city driving, I'm more about low-end torque than high RPM horsepower. Again, all a matter of preference and driving style.

Bottom line, I don't think Audi is cheapening or diluting the brand by adding the 2.0 option. It will be an even better balanced car due to lighter engine weight, and it also appeals to lots of Audi enthusiasts who have been aftermarket tuning the turbo-charged engines for years. A great blend of luxury and sport. It's still a $40K+ car with $40K+ amenities. The A4 and TT cost nearly as much and now have the 2.0T as the sole engine option. There is still the option to buy the 3.2 in the A5, so I just don't see what all the complaining is about. Lots of folks have been waiting on a more interesting engine option than the 3.2 who aren't interested in spending S5 money and going to the pump more often. Unfortunately they didn't bring the 3.0 TDI, but the 2.0T is winning awards left and right for a reason. (https://www.audiworld.com/news/09/2.0tfsi-award/)
Old 06-19-2009, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 2.0 is one of the many reasons I bought the Infiniti instead of the Audi. The exhaust note alone made the decision easier. I am still a big fan of the A5 but Audi has a long way to go as far as value for the money is concerned.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

HI,

Europe is pushing to reduce the emission and even more the CO2 pollution.
The 2.0 is the answer to this problematic as all other car manufacturer in Europe are doing the same. In the US nobody care unless gas price is rising again.
Having say that the 2.0 in the same driven condition as the 3.2 is consuming less and produce less co2. period.
This is why the 3.2 is disappearing.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

The A5 is not a luxury car. So, having the 2.0 engine is sensible.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DoubleDoom
The A5 is not a luxury car. So, having the 2.0 engine is sensible.
If it isn't a luxury car, then what is it? I am curious. Entry-Lux? I doubt it. If mean, if its a Audi it should be in the same league as BMW and Mercedes.

Now, I agree with all of you that the 2.0 gives more choices and options and allows you to be more flexible in choosing different engines. I wish Audi would offer the 3.0T here like the 2009 Audi A6 3.0T (thats a sweet engine). Hopefully sooner than later, but it might cut through the S5 territory, so thats probably why they did not bring it to the US since american consumers make car decision choices base on options and value as compared to our fellow europeans. All comes down to preference.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 2.0T is ridiculous. Im sorry, but this is too much car for that engine. Very upset they are devaluing the brand by putting a 4 cylinder on a 40K + car. No need to lower the price on the car. The reason we paid a premium is because we wanted to be more exclusive on the road.

Quick Reply: Audi A5 2.0- Why?