Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anything to watch for in a windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM
XS
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything to watch for in a windshield replacement?

Sucks. Less than two weeks since I picked it up, and I'm having to have the windshield replaced. I opted for the OEM windshield, and mentioned the rain-sensor/rain sensing wipers to the folks scheduled to replace it.

Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks.

Love the S5!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure they use OEM seals/gasket for proper fitment and to prevent excessive glue usage.
The following users liked this post:
dezurita07 (12-18-2023)
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

^ Ineed. Some shops will use cheaper seals even with OEM glass. As cited, insist on OEM throughout.
The following users liked this post:
dezurita07 (12-18-2023)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 PM
XS
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks guys!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I believe when these windshields get replaced it calls for the rain sensor to be replaced and maybe something else that goes to the mirror but not sure.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just bought a 2005 a5 from a non Audi dealer. The windshield had to be replaced, but the rain sensors work. I'm a newbie when it comes to Audi
Old 05-19-2012, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XS
Sucks. Less than two weeks since I picked it up, and I'm having to have the windshield replaced. I opted for the OEM windshield, and mentioned the rain-sensor/rain sensing wipers to the folks scheduled to replace it.

Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks.

Love the S5!!!!
My post from a similar thread on another board:

OEM = Pilkington. Make sure it's that brand before install or they even touch your car. ... If it doesn't say the Pilkington on the Glass (same as your side and rear windows) then it's not OEM quality. Sekurit used to be a supplier as well - they've supplied glass to VW since they started. My '54 Beetle has all Sekurit glass.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took a rock to the windshield on the way home from work tonight. It was low-speed (> 30 mph) but with air temperatures over 100F I had a 12-inch crack in under a minute or two. So, new windshield coming up for me.

The information in this thread has been informative. Thought I would bump it to see if anyone has more advice on replacement to add.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Stick with OEM as indicated. If you have it done by one of the companies that replace it in your driveway, make it clear to them that OEM is all you will settle for, no 'OEM Quality' wavy Chinese glass. Check the corner of the glass for manufacturer before you let them install. I was very clear with the place I dealt with, went into the shop and spoke with them in person. Made it clear that OEM was the only acceptable replacement. The guy was at my house the next day and did a great job of carefully removing and replacing my windshield. Later I noticed some odd 'motion' as I looked across the windshield. Checked the corner and it was Chinese glass. Read them the riot act and they were out with an OEM windshield. I had to pay an extra $100 or so, which I would have been glad to pay the first time for the right glass.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Find who your local Audi certified body repair shop is and ask them who they go to. I did mine with EuroGlass in Redmond, WA and the quality/customer service was excellent. My insurance carrier had a fit about me not using someone in their network and initially only approved 90% the cost of the OEM glass but everything else OEM (seal, sensor) at 100%. I didn't waste anytime calling up people including a lawyer and they finally said they'd cover it.ver it.

Quick Reply: Anything to watch for in a windshield replacement?