Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Any way to track S5 production / shipping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to track S5 production / shipping?

I took the plunge and ordered a car I've never driven before in September and now I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

My dealer told me it should be in the US in late October and here in NM in mid November.

Is there a system to check on its status or do I have to keep pinging the dealer?
Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is no way to track on your own. You have to go through the dealer.

Also, not to be a downer, but try to test drive the S5. Early this year I bought an S5 without testing it because I loved the looks and assumed any S car would be amazing to drive. When I got it I was a little underwhelmed with the performance (it was fast, but not that fun). I recently traded up for a new S4. The whole ordeal cost me many thousands of dollars, which could have been avoided if I just went on a test drive.

Again, the car is great and if you want a fast cruiser you will be very happy. But if you want a really sporty experience it might not be for you.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TigerJayhawk
I took the plunge and ordered a car I've never driven before in September and now I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

My dealer told me it should be in the US in late October and here in NM in mid November.

Is there a system to check on its status or do I have to keep pinging the dealer?
Welcome and congrats! Also waiting on a car to arrive here in NM, assuming you went through Audi Albuquerque..not much to choose from on the lot at times. As stated the sales rep should be able to give you a more definitive timeline as the order is processed. I just email for an update from time to time.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks

Appreciate the feedback. I'll try and be patient.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose your S5 did not have the Sports Differential. Without it, even the S4 is not fun to drive at all. I tested an S4 without the Sports diff and it was not fun.

Originally Posted by tgdA4

Also, not to be a downer, but try to test drive the S5. Early this year I bought an S5 without testing it because I loved the looks and assumed any S car would be amazing to drive. When I got it I was a little underwhelmed with the performance (it was fast, but not that fun). I recently traded up for a new S4. The whole ordeal cost me many thousands of dollars, which could have been avoided if I just went on a test drive.

Again, the car is great and if you want a fast cruiser you will be very happy. But if you want a really sporty experience it might not be for you.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ayap
I suppose your S5 did not have the Sports Differential. Without it, even the S4 is not fun to drive at all. I tested an S4 without the Sports diff and it was not fun.
I'm sure the sport diff would help. For me it was the acceleration and transmission as well. I've driven the S4 without sport diff and it's still a better performer IMO.

My main point was just to test drive it first and see if it's what he really wants, because our opinions don't really matter in the end.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the S5 with the sports diff. and it's a world of difference with an S5 without the sports diff. That's probably why you didn't enjoy with S5. It's much more fun to drive than the S4, which I have also tested. You see, with the Sports Diff, the S5 can be put on dynamic mode. You didn't experience the dynamic mode in your S5, so you cannot compare. The S5 with sports diff and in dynamic mode changes its character - to me, it's much more fun than the S4.

I'm sure the sport diff would help. For me it was the acceleration and transmission as well. I've driven the S4 without sport diff and it's still a better performer IMO.

My main point was just to test drive it first and see if it's what he really wants, because our opinions don't really matter in the end.

Last edited by ayap; 10-22-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ayap
I have the S5 with the sports diff. and it's a world of difference with an S5 without the sports diff. That's probably why you didn't enjoy with S5. It's much more fun to drive than the S4, which I have also tested. You see, with the Sports Diff, the S5 can be put on dynamic mode. You didn't experience the dynamic mode in your S5, so you cannot compare. The S5 with sports diff and in dynamic mode changes its character - to me, it's much more fun than the S4.
Does your S5 sport diff make the car accelerate any better? Does the transmission suddenly become a dual clutch?

I will give you the steering feel gets better with the sport diff, but let's not get carried away. It's still the same car.

Last edited by tgdA4; 10-22-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tracking...Heck Ya!

Tracking from the factory to the port you have to rely on the dealership's info. Once you have the dates that it gets on and off of the ship (which should take your salesperson all of 3 minutes to look-up) go my thread on tracking your car.

Since you're in NM, I assume your vehicle will arrive at the port of Houston. Looking at the PDF that is reference in my post, the next ship to arrive in Houston arrrives on Nov 7 so your car is on that one or is already stateside. Check with your dealer for the ship load and offload dates!!

As far as performance, $1800 worth of Stasis ECU upgrade for my cab made the difference between a wife and a mistress (so to speak...I love my wife).
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the help, I'll check it out.

Quick Reply: Any way to track S5 production / shipping?