Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

after a 6-month wait, my Amethyst Gray A5 S-Line arrived [lots of photos]

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
Amethyst is a gem stone that is purple in color. GORGEOUS CAR!! WOW!!! is this an Audi Exclusive for an additional cost? I don't see it in the brochure.
Thank you for the compliment.

Yes, there was some additional cost to get this color. The color was on Audi's color palette, and is a standard/brochure color for certain other Audi vehicles in other parts of the world (the Q5 in regions outside the USA, and the A5 Sportback which is a vehicle that is not sold in the USA). But considering that most colors in the USA brochure cost a little extra as well, it wasn't a big deal.
The window sticker came through showing "Audi Exclusive Color", but its not one of the specific Exclusive colors that costs a bundle.
Initially, after I placed my order for the car, my dealer was given incorrect pricing (too high) by the Audi distribution center, so I sought the assistance of AoA, and came across a rep named "Ben", who was very helpful in getting the proper special order color info to the dealer etc, so that the special order process would go through properly. "Ben" told me that he himself was ordering a bright orange (I forget the color name) S4, so he had already researched the issues and was familiar with the process. He had commented something about Amethyst Gray not being Audi Exclusive, but what he meant was that it was not one of those specific Exclusive colors, and was not a paint-to-match-sample color either. Its a color in Audi's current color palette, so it gets the lower pricing, and should not be a problem in ordering. But evidently some magic words or letters need to be on the order form in order for the distribution center to understand it properly.

Last edited by uroplatus; 10-28-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sesame60
If you get a chance please post some pics of the car in sunlight, would love to see what it looks like.
As soon as its sunny on a weekend, I'll take more photos and post them.

Thank you to everybody for the compliments.
So far its been a joy to own and drive. I haven't been an Audi owner since getting rid of my B5 S4, but I've been a fan of Audi's since the UrQuattro in the 1980's.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

The car looks amazing in that color! There can't be many Amethyst Grey S-Line's in the US. Congrats!

When you get a chance, can you take a few pics from the rear of the car, and of the backseat area?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uroplatus
As soon as its sunny on a weekend, I'll take more photos and post them.

Thank you to everybody for the compliments.
So far its been a joy to own and drive. I haven't been an Audi owner since getting rid of my B5 S4, but I've been a fan of Audi's since the UrQuattro in the 1980's.
If you have a partly cloudy day where the sun goes behind the clouds but it's still light out, you will get better results. Lots of sunlight makes photography very harsh looking. Also, as the sun sets, it creates a really nice lighting that makes colors pop.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ack_
The car looks amazing in that color! There can't be many Amethyst Grey S-Line's in the US. Congrats!

When you get a chance, can you take a few pics from the rear of the car, and of the backseat area?
I was told by an AoA rep that its the only A5/S5 car ordered in Amethyst Gray color in the USA market, from 2008 to present. I don't know if thats true, but thats what I was told. Maybe the photos of this car will inspire others to order that color, or maybe AoA should make it a choice on next year's A5/S5 color selection for the USA market.

I'll take more photos, and post them soon.

Thanks again to everybody, for all the nice compliments.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 AM
ksn
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uroplatus
The B7 A4 was given to me by my dealer for the last two months as a free loaner car. It was written into the sales agreement when I ordered the new car. The deal was that if my special order new car didn't arrive by a certain date (4-months after the order date), the dealer would provide me with a free loaner car to drive. Their loaner cars are Audi vehicles. When the 4-month time approached, I half-jokingly said I'll take the used S5 that they had on the used car lot, but of course the answer was no. But they happily gave me a 2008 B7 A4 from their loaner fleet to drive until the new car arrived.

I had placed the new car order immediately after the 2012 order guides became available (before 2012 pricing was available), and I had hoped that the car would arrive in 4-months since I needed to take a road trip during a certain week. But, its always good to anticipate potential problems, so I wrote in a number of specific requirements and "outs" into the sales agreement. Although I have other vehicles that I could have driven, I wanted there to be an incentive in the contract for the dealer to push for arrival of the new car. And me having one of their cars was certainly a good balance for both myself and the dealer. I had this in mind when I went to the dealer to order the car, but as I recall, the dealer salesman brought it up before I mentioned it.

While on this subject, its important to note that the sales agreement is a written contract, and written contracts should be written in anticipation of something or everything going wrong with the deal. So you want everything that you consider a significant or important aspect of your verbal agreement/understanding with the dealer put into the written agreement.
Thanks for the info. I will have to be sure to look into similar options when I make my purchase.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thats a legit color, congrats on the unique car, prob the only one
Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Beautiful color! I've seen it on a 911 and it truly fantastic in person. It works very nicely with the Titanium package accents, IMO.

Enjoy!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sexy! Nice choice. Enjoy!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So Sweet... Congrats