Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 vs S5

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 vs S5

I am a BMW owner looking to move to Audi. I love the look of the A5/S5 cab but I am not sure which to pick. I currently have a BMW 335 so 300HP and torque. The A5 seems a little under powered compared to that although I drove it and it was pretty peppy. Not sure I want to pay the extra $15-20K that it seems like the
S5s are - seems like I can get an A5 with only a few options whereas all the S5s I have seen are loaded. But am I going to be unhappy with the smaller engine of the A5??? Thoughts?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racquetballtrumpeto
I am a BMW owner looking to move to Audi. I love the look of the A5/S5 cab but I am not sure which to pick. I currently have a BMW 335 so 300HP and torque. The A5 seems a little under powered compared to that although I drove it and it was pretty peppy. Not sure I want to pay the extra $15-20K that it seems like the
S5s are - seems like I can get an A5 with only a few options whereas all the S5s I have seen are loaded. But am I going to be unhappy with the smaller engine of the A5??? Thoughts?
Huge difference in the performance of the two. While the 2.0 is a nice engine, the 3.0 is way more powerful. I would think that coming from a 335, the S5 would be a better match depending on your preferences and driving style.
You can always special order or have the dealer find a model that better suits your needs.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Special ordering is the way to go. The wait is a killer, but at least you get only what you want. Dealers stock a few fully loaded or near fully loaded pricey S5's.

Build one on AMEX/Truecar and have the dealer order. Most should accept 1K deposit.

https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/main..._id=ZAMX000001
Old 05-29-2013, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

One thing that you should like of. It's not what you pay for the car it's what it's worth in the real world years later. A clean low mile S5 Cab holds the value better than an A5 or BMW 335 cab. I can't over emphasize the word CLEAN
Old 05-29-2013, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

The BMW 335i and the Audi S5 are pretty much direct competitors, so if you're used to the 335i and like the amount of power it has then the S5 is the appropriate counterpart.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Special ordering is the way to go. The wait is a killer, but at least you get only what you want. Dealers stock a few fully loaded or near fully loaded pricey S5's.
Agree 100%. The wait is worth it, however.

Originally Posted by racquetballtrumpeto
The A5 seems a little under powered compared to that although I drove it and it was pretty peppy. Not sure I want to pay the extra $15-20K that it seems like the
I previously had a 2010 A5, and it was a great performing car. But...no comparison to the performance of the S5.

Ordered my S5 with exactly 3 "paid" options. Sports Diff (don't buy an S5 without it), the 19" wheels with summer tires, and the B&O sound system.

I do not care about all the "bells & whistles" on cars. I want a car that handles the best it can, and has a nice sound system, as I take a lot of long road trips.

The 6-speed trans is standard, and the Black & Lunar Silver Alcantara seats were a no cost option for 2013.

You can't go wrong with either model. But drive them both, and I will bet you will prefer the S5 more.

Last edited by a5sport; 05-29-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2007 335i coupe for 45k miles, picked up in Munich. It was a nice car and fairly economical, fairly fast, reliable, but the run flats were terrible. I used to look forward to the winter to put on my non-runflat snow tires.

I purchased a 2013 S5 last August for pickup in Ingolstadt. I ordered everything I wanted on it, Prestige, 6-speed, sports diff, 18" wheels, Nappa leather. It was $60k with taxes, rebates, Euro Deliv discount. I think it is a much better car than the 335i; better handling, fuel mileage is identical, much more power from a supercharged six, rather than a turbocharged six, same displacement, more comfortable to drive, less trunk space, but there is a spare tire.

Go for it all. You will love it.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I've had both

I've had both the S5 and A5. I just don't think that the S5 is worth the extra cost. I have a loaded A5 and love it. Plus much better milage!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Other than the engine and a few cosmetic trim pieces, A5 and S5 are the exact same car. Drive both and decide if the extra power justifies the extra $$$$$ for you.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was just in your shoes last week trying to decide between the A5 and S5 and after extensive road tests on each model I decided the S5 was for me. The extra power and the overall feel of the car with the higher horse motor transforms the car from a good car into a great car. Just my opinion

Quick Reply: A5 vs S5