Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

a5 vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hobbes
I wonder why Audi insists on wasting money on new tires when they know it won't fix the problem, and will only frustrate owners. I've 500 miles on my new A5 and it also has the vibration between 60-65. I'm going to wait a little bit to see if Audi comes up with a better program before wasting my time with multiple visits getting balancing and new tires.
+1
Old 06-28-2009, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a A5 owner. and I got the vibration too...although I feel the issue is only mild..

It sounds that the vibration is due to "Resonance" in Physics....and it is directly related to in design of the machine....

Of course any change of parts of the car could alter the resonance...but it remains unclear that these actions would cure the problem or not...
Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kan888
I'm a A5 owner. and I got the vibration too...although I feel the issue is only mild..

It sounds that the vibration is due to "Resonance" in Physics....and it is directly related to in design of the machine....

Of course any change of parts of the car could alter the resonance...but it remains unclear that these actions would cure the problem or not...
Pretty much what I think. Something not quite built to tolerance from time to time.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the exact same problem on my '09 A5. Has happened since I picked up the car a month ago with 100 mi on it. Before buying, I had test driven another A5 on the lot and same thing.

I've held back going to the dealer about it yet, since no one seems to be getting a good fix. Will be interesting to see what Audi does about this one, considering *a lot* of cars seem to be impacted.

'09 A5 Deep Sea Blue
'04 A8L 4.2 Silver
Old 07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am awaiting the arrival of new control arms myself, but if it was me I would take it back in and get the issue documented ASAP. I think the more time you allow to go by, regardless if there is a "true fix", could come back to haunt you. In the end your tactic may work out just fine. I will say this though; I think each owner's experiences are different regarding this issue. Some have gone through hell to get to the point of new control arms, whereas it only took me two visits over the course of two weeks. Control arms may end up being/or are a patch, but at least I am one step further in the process if a subsequent fix comes along. Just my two cents.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NevadA5
OK, not sure if this helps anyone or not. On mine 09 A5 S-line...after reading these posts...I see that: 1) I don't have any vibrations at any speed 2) I recall the dealer telling me (in passing) that I have Bridgestones. After reading this, I seem to be the only one with Bridgestones.

Got my car a month ago...

I have Bridgestones on my car and I have the vibration, so your either lucky or your car hasn't started this possession yet, LOL!

My car will be at the dealer on either Tuesday or Wednesday for new lower control arms and 2 new tires. I hope this fixes it!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LONESTARS5
I am awaiting the arrival of new control arms myself, but if it was me I would take it back in and get the issue documented ASAP. I think the more time you allow to go by, regardless if there is a "true fix", could come back to haunt you. In the end your tactic may work out just fine. I will say this though; I think each owner's experiences are different regarding this issue. Some have gone through hell to get to the point of new control arms, whereas it only took me two visits over the course of two weeks. Control arms may end up being/or are a patch, but at least I am one step further in the process if a subsequent fix comes along. Just my two cents.
With the exception of a forum member on the B8 A4 forum with the user name mnemons (whose dealer improperly installed the control arms on his 2009 A4), the new control arms (and sometimes other fixes) have worked perfectly and are the ultimate cure for these pesky vibration problems.

As I said on the B8 A4 forum, overseas, 10 to 25% of vehicles on the B8 platform have had the problems with vibrations (versus about 50% of vehicles on the B8 platform in North America). Also, the problems with vibrations overseas, while certainly not non existent are far more isolated and get fixed far more quickly with far fewer headaches than in North America.

Also, compared to first year (or two or a few or whatever) production for some of the older Audi models (Mark I TT, B5 A4/S4, B6 A4/S4, C5 A6/AllRoad/S6/RS 6, D2 A8/A8L/S8 and D3 A8/A8L/S8), outside of vibrations, the B8 A4 and A5/S5, though by no means 100% trouble free, have been very good overall in terms of dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction and service. Everything in this paragraph is especially true in North America.

All of the above is based on what I have heard, read and seen (mostly from our fellow AudiWorld members-and members of other Audi forums themselves from all different parts of the world).
Old 09-20-2009, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
With the exception of a forum member on the B8 A4 forum with the user name mnemons (whose dealer improperly installed the control arms on his 2009 A4), the new control arms (and sometimes other fixes) have worked perfectly and are the ultimate cure for these pesky vibration problems.

As I said on the B8 A4 forum, overseas, 10 to 25% of vehicles on the B8 platform have had the problems with vibrations (versus about 50% of vehicles on the B8 platform in North America). Also, the problems with vibrations overseas, while certainly not non existent are far more isolated and get fixed far more quickly with far fewer headaches than in North America.

Also, compared to first year (or two or a few or whatever) production for some of the older Audi models (Mark I TT, B5 A4/S4, B6 A4/S4, C5 A6/AllRoad/S6/RS 6, D2 A8/A8L/S8 and D3 A8/A8L/S8), outside of vibrations, the B8 A4 and A5/S5, though by no means 100% trouble free, have been very good overall in terms of dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction and service. Everything in this paragraph is especially true in North America.

All of the above is based on what I have heard, read and seen (mostly from our fellow AudiWorld members-and members of other Audi forums themselves from all different parts of the world).
I forgot to mention three minutes ago that when the control arms are properly installed (with the other fixes properly done if other fixes are necessary), the ultimate cure for the vibrations is permanent (in North America just as much as overseas). This also is from what I have heard, read and seen (mostly from members of all of the different Audi forums from all different parts of the world).
Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So far I've had or will have:

1) Road force balancing [twice by dealer and once paid for by myself at Discount Tire].
2) Will have the new updated lower control arms installed on Tues/Wed of this week.
3) 2 new tires will also be replace while they are installing the control arms.

What's next when all else fails to fix the vibration? I really like this car but I didn't buy this vibration. Has anyone gone further than this?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Imola Ghost
So far I've had or will have:

1) Road force balancing [twice by dealer and once paid for by myself at Discount Tire].
2) Will have the new updated lower control arms installed on Tues/Wed of this week.
3) 2 new tires will also be replace while they are installing the control arms.

What's next when all else fails to fix the vibration? I really like this car but I didn't buy this vibration. Has anyone gone further than this?
See my reply message posted above posted at 12:03PM and 12:06PM (8:03AM and 8:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time).

Quick Reply: a5 vibration