Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Is the A5 too attractive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is the A5 too attractive...

...to cops and thieves, that is?

I'm close to picking up my new A5 and I think it is a gorgeous car. Does that beauty come with a downside though? Does the car draw increased (and unwelcome) attention from law officers? I do have a bit of a heavy foot, so do I need to be more cautious than I was in my much more low-key A4? I know my B5 A4 didn't really call attention to itself when I was passing a cop, but I'm guessing the A5 won't be able to fly under the radar.

What about thieves? An attention-grabbing car surely grabs the attention of the criminal element.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not had any issue with either.

The key and relative rarity make it less attractive car to steal. The top 10 stolen cars in the US are generally the highest selling sedans (for parts).

I've not gotten a ticket in the car yet *knock on wood*
Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No problems with the cops - but you will certainly get attention from the public - I had a guy come up to me this weekend, comment on how "cool" the car was - he then said...."what did this cost you...about $80k I'm guessing"!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AZAudiFan
No problems with the cops - but you will certainly get attention from the public - I had a guy come up to me this weekend, comment on how "cool" the car was - he then said...."what did this cost you...about $80k I'm guessing"!
Yeah. I usually here something in the $70's

A funny upside to the car.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AZAudiFan
Ditto. I was checking the air in my tires close to SMU and had a couple of guys who were college students come up and tell me the car was "sick". They walked all around it and looked inside. When I started it up one guy took pics of the LED's with his cell phone. I also had a woman leading a group of bicyclists wave and give me the "thumbs up" as I was driving by. The public attention is great, but that is nothing compared to how many times I sneak out to the garage to admire it! ;-)
Old 06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Very Interesting, I too have been quoted between 70 and 85 thousand from those who don't know the car.
I'm kind of a lead foot myself and also worry about the attention this car produce's. I don't think it will because of the cars style and rarity.
I've become a firm believer that the color has more to do with it than any thing else. In the last ten yrs or so I've driven a dolphin gray 07 S4, a black corvette ZO6, a nogaro blue 00 S4, and a black 3.2 A4. Out of those cars, besides being stopped 3 times for not having a front license plate on the vette (I had also disabled the amber running lights on it) the only car I was stopped in, repeatedly, was the nogaro blue S4. No summons, but stopped quite frequently. So on my S5 I went with Quartz grey and am contemplating shutting down the DRL's. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What's your logic for disabling the DRL? Isn't it required?

Originally Posted by rocknS4
Very Interesting, I too have been quoted between 70 and 85 thousand from those who don't know the car.
I'm kind of a lead foot myself and also worry about the attention this car produce's. I don't think it will because of the cars style and rarity.
I've become a firm believer that the color has more to do with it than any thing else. In the last ten yrs or so I've driven a dolphin gray 07 S4, a black corvette ZO6, a nogaro blue 00 S4, and a black 3.2 A4. Out of those cars, besides being stopped 3 times for not having a front license plate on the vette (I had also disabled the amber running lights on it) the only car I was stopped in, repeatedly, was the nogaro blue S4. No summons, but stopped quite frequently. So on my S5 I went with Quartz grey and am contemplating shutting down the DRL's. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VictorVictor
What's your logic for disabling the DRL? Isn't it required?
I had contemplated the same thing. The DRLs are very distinctive and call for attention. I had wondered if shutting them off would help me with avoid the notice of the LEOs. Of course, it would also mean losing one of the great features of the car.

And no, they are not required in the U.S.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

to me the A% is not as beautiful a car as the S5...
Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

please forgive my error, That should read A5, not A%..Thanks

Quick Reply: Is the A5 too attractive...