Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 steering wheel vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 steering wheel vibration?

I have a 2009 A5 3.2 with factory 19"s. I occasionally feel a vibration in the steering wheel at around 69-71 MPH. Apparently Audi tech is aware of this issue and has published a service bulletin about it and the current fix is to balance the wheels. My local Audi dealer balanced the wheels under warranty but that did not solve the issue permanently.

Has anyone else with an A5 experienced that issue and if so was it resolved permanently?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by b2bisp
I have a 2009 A5 3.2 with factory 19"s. I occasionally feel a vibration in the steering wheel at around 69-71 MPH. Apparently Audi tech is aware of this issue and has published a service bulletin about it and the current fix is to balance the wheels. My local Audi dealer balanced the wheels under warranty but that did not solve the issue permanently.

Has anyone else with an A5 experienced that issue and if so was it resolved permanently?
Do a search on the board. It can also be a control arm issue.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm thinking this recent thread is your answer:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2745882

I had purchased a second set of wheels that came with the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires, and instantly had the vibration issue. I wondered what the issue was, as my second set of wheels (OEM w/ Wintersport M3's) didn't have any vibration at all. I was fed up, and had them mount my OEM summers (Michelin PS2's) and the vibration is essentially gone.

I should mention that the vibration was all in the steering wheel - not in the chassis.

HTH

Aaron
Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2008 A5 up in Rochester, NY has the same steering vibration issues. I now have 16000 miles and I had felt vibrations ever since I bought it, however, and due to an enormous road noise from my tires I was never able to neutralize or even conclude on anything myself. I took my car to John Holtz Audi and they tested the car 4 times, scratched their heads twice as much and they ended up rotating the tires and balancing my front-right one. In the end.. they claimed they lessened the noise and vibration but as I drove off the dealer, nothing was really fixed. This is most likely the first time I had my vehicle serviced and they couldn't localized the problem or perhaps they do know about it but they would rather not make any repairs until someone else drops by with same issue and vehicle model. Now.. taking into account that there are only 3 A5's and 1 S5 in my area.. I am looking at driving my A5 on vibration mode through the end of its days. Audi America should be contacted and they should focus on this issue and get it fixed through a recall. My car is fully loaded, paid well over 50K, this is ridiculous.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1 for mdg99, here's the thread

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2723885
Old 07-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Banned

Do you know where this service bulletin in listed?? I have the same issue in my A5 in Rochester, New York.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's one source, I am sure there are others I am not aware of:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthrea...324/index.html

I used to live in Roch for 16 years, had a house up in Charlotte.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 AM
Banned

EVERYONE!! Here is the AUDI bulletin on the issue. I believe doing what it indicates won't solve the problem 100%. I suggest to print it out and take to dealer service manager attention along with your car.

LINK: http://www.google.com/search?q=44+08...ient=firefox-a
Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Banned

Does anyone know if a financed/purchased 1 year old A5 can be returned to the Audi Dealer due to failing to their personnel failing to investigate, repair and/or follow up on an issue repair? I am sick of driving my $53,000 brand new A5 with an steering wheel vibration after 50mph and an astonishing tire road noise in my front right tire. The more I dig into this matter through other owner's experiences and outcomes the more frustrated I get. I am tired of emailing and visiting my Audi dealer management and personnel on this matter and getting nowhere. Time is going by, I drive unhappy and worried something else may develop. This is ridiculous!!! I had it already. If anyone can answer me with a conclusive and coherent answer, I would appreciate it very much.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doubt they will take the car back. Contact an Audi CARE advocate - you can email them through the Audi website - click on "about Audi" and then you will see the email link.

The steering wheel vibration has been solved with the installation of new control arms, combined with a tire road force balance; do not let your dealer tell you otherwise - many of us on the forum have had the same problem!

Expressing your displeasure with the handling of this issue with Audi CARE directly will put pressure on the dealer as well.

Quick Reply: A5 steering wheel vibration?