Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 Doors/Windows Freeze Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: If I recall correctly, someone posted a potential solution to the problem. Search this forum.

Thanks, I found something on it which then pointed me another forum. In case anyone wants to read up it's below.

Someone posted suggested silicone spray. I just don't want to start screwing with my car spraying silicone spray.

I put a call into Audi and my audi dealer. Audi said they would get back to me by Friday, so we'll see.<ul><li><a href="http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/design-fault-5091/index.html?t=5091&amp;highlight=frozen+window">htt p://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/design-fault-5091/index.html?t=5091&amp;highlight=frozen+window</a</li></ul>
Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default the water in the door issue seems to be standard design fault

Most people Ive talked to or read about here have the same issue when washing the car. Dry the driver door window off, wait hours, roll the window down, and when you put it back up, it is soaking wet. Somebody was having a few too many Dortmunders at Audi when they "thought" this one through. Figures it would cause a further problem in winter time.

As much as I love my S5, I can see it is going to be a problem car down the road. The issues on mine are too numerous to count anymore. Each day now I wonder when the next screwed up thing will make its appearance.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carboflo, Gummi Pfledge, Sil Glyde, etc. Some can be had at BMW dealer parts dept, others

from detailer supply places, and some from NAPA.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Pls Geoffrey give details about the other issues, i need to know in advance...
Old 12-22-2008, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default list of maladies for my car -

purposeful (design flaws) :

Aside from the window water issue...

NAV - sucks on the 08, hopefully better on the 09. Cant find stores other than malls in the shopping center category. Navigating map with targeting arrows while enroute is completely lame. No turn by turn directions. So many flaws it is hard to count.

MMI - CD track info, song info on Sirius, unreadable...only get the first few characters. No way to show all the text. (please prove me wrong on this.)

Bizarre, unique and stuck with :

1) whirring noise in front left of driver area. Told it was timing belt, etc. Still annoying. Cant drive car with radio off or cannot focus on anything but the whirring.
2) AC stinks so bad Im embarrassed to use it with anyone in the car. UNACCEPTABLE and still no effort to fix it. Will update after 5000mi service.

hopefully fixable :

1) Washers for windshield shoot cleaning fluid onto the roof.
2) Clunking metallic noise under floorboards on driver side when stepped on. Ridiculous.
3) Back seat lock will not go down....red part remains showing.
4) Rattle in exhaust under and behind engine
5) Something loose behind NAV area - when car moves in side to side motion, over bumps, a clunking noise comes from behind the NAV - getting increasingly loud and annoying. Lame.
6) Vibrating noise from rear of car when in reverse on slow backup. (not unlocked seat)
7) Water inside of fog lights (no power washer used)
8) auto reverse right side parking mirror movement makes a grinding noise during movement when returning to driving position - sounds like something is binding.

Basically, the list keeps growing, and the resolutions have been few and far between.

Dont get me wrong, the S5 is a tremendous car. But MY S5 was definitely built by a bunch of drunken or otherwise distracted Germans. I find the build quality of this car absolutely unacceptable.

By the way, ive only got 4900 miles on it since the end of May 2008. A car shoudl rattle and bitch like this after 100k miles, not 5k. Unless it is a Nissan or Infiniti.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

First really bad one I have heard of. There is always one in the bunch.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: A5 Doors/Windows Freeze Issue

Yes, exact same issue............Really bad this AM............23 degress with a wind chill of around 0.

Still love the car, I'll figure out a work-around.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: A5 Doors/Windows Freeze Issue

Did you happen to read the post (here or on A5OC)? To free the window, take a credit card, slip it between the glass and outer seal, and slide it forward and back. I had the issue yesterday here in Maryland, and it worked great. I could feel the ice/frost separating.
I would suggest using a non-important card, and holding onto it!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:30 AM

Default Re: the water in the door issue seems to be standard design fault

The water in the door issue affects all BMW 3 series cars too. It can take days of dry weather to dry out. I've owned 2 and had a loaner and all 3 have this problem. Never had this problem on a Toyota Solara though.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by geoffrey2k
purposeful (design flaws) :

Aside from the window water issue...

NAV - sucks on the 08, hopefully better on the 09. Cant find stores other than malls in the shopping center category. Navigating map with targeting arrows while enroute is completely lame. No turn by turn directions. So many flaws it is hard to count.
select the nav menu. press "setup". use dial to select dynamic route, and there's something else in there. should give turn by turn. also, select fm/am and pres the bottom right corner to select "sound." use dial to select "nav volume" and turn it up. she'l tell you when turn. too much really. also, in nav set up, if you select compass, it will tell what road you're on on in the display behind the steering wheel. you'l also turn by turn there when nav is active.

[QUOTE]MMI - CD track info, song info on Sirius, unreadable...only get the first few characters. No way to show all the text. (please prove me wrong on this.)[/QUOTE} press fm/am. press setup. station names: scrolling (not fixed)

Bizarre, unique and stuck with :

1) whirring noise in front left of driver area. Told it was timing belt, etc. Still annoying. Cant drive car with radio off or cannot focus on anything but the whirring.
step on the gas and listen to the exhaust. run it at 4k rpm or higher as much as possible -- redline at least once a day. you have a high performance engine doing a lot of things in there. enjoy it. or else you bought the wrong car.
2) AC stinks so bad Im embarrassed to use it with anyone in the car. UNACCEPTABLE and still no effort to fix it. Will update after 5000mi service.
huh? do you live near a dumpster? are a stinky person? how would stink get in there? how would that be the car's fault?

hopefully fixable :

1) Washers for windshield shoot cleaning fluid onto the roof.
yep
2) Clunking metallic noise under floorboards on driver side when stepped on. Ridiculous.
clunking metallic? are you sure?
3) Back seat lock will not go down....red part remains showing.
probably user error.
4) Rattle in exhaust under and behind engine
you probably did't follow the break in procedure, and you broke your car. or you don't know a rattle from a creak or a smell.
5) Something loose behind NAV area - when car moves in side to side motion, over bumps, a clunking noise comes from behind the NAV - getting increasingly loud and annoying. Lame.
possibly something needs a tightening. happens. i've seen it in all makes, porsche, bentley, toyota, doesn't matter. every now and them something doesn't get all the way torqued. can be fixed. that's why there's a warranty.
6) Vibrating noise from rear of car when in reverse on slow backup. (not unlocked seat)
is it the brakes letting go?
7) Water inside of fog lights (no power washer used)
again, it happens. it's like every third car has that problem across all makes. leave the fog on al day with yuor car on a trickle, or leave it in the sun for a few days, and that'll dry it out. or get it replaced. it is warrantied after all. this stuff happens to certain people. it's probably happening to you cuz you're ...

8) auto reverse right side parking mirror movement makes a grinding noise during movement when returning to driving position - sounds like something is binding.
seriously?

Quick Reply: A5 Doors/Windows Freeze Issue