Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 Doors/Windows Freeze Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Doors/Windows Freeze Issue

New to the forum. I have a 2009 A5 out here in Long Island, NY. Anyway, love the car...it's been great in the snow and ice we got last week. I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue though, especially in the more northern states. I park the car in my garage overnight, but when I go to work, I park it outside. When I get out at 5pm, the windows are frozen. This wouldn't be an issue in most cars, but as most of you know the windows go down about 1/3" when you open the car door. The doors open, but then won't close because the windows won't go up fully. It takes a good few minutes for the car to warm up inside for them to close, or you have to carefully(from the outside) maneuver the window under the molding and then push on the door for it to close.

Saturday night, my gf and I got in my car, and she's pulling the passenger door trying to close it, and I went outside and see that because the window is stuck in the up position, it's banging against the molding!!!. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Similar issues, but not that exact issue...

I think this car allows water in places it shouldn't. I do notice the car doesn't like the cold and probably because there is no frame around the windows water gets down into the door - others have noted this when the roll the windows up and down as well - seems to do this more than other cars I have had. The sunroof is the most annoying when water gets around the seal and freezes making all sorts of noise. I have never had that happen on a car, but I guess its because the sunroof is so big it gets flexed more so than on other cars.

The S5 works well in the foul weather, but you can tell it doesn't like the cold (and neither do I). Just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Im in long Island, and I havn't had any problems yet.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Im in long Island, and I havn't had any problems yet.

Thanks for the feedback. Mike, have you had an issue with the windows freezing up? I'm wondering if the window seals on mine aren't good, and water is getting into the door, thus freezing the windows.

If your windows freeze up, it's an issue given the design.

I should clarify that this has only started happening since thursday of last week. But it was a real pain over the weekend.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

No, and it's been below zero lately in Chgo. Does sound like excess H20 inside doors.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I havn't had any issues at all.

This morning obviously everything was frozen, but the doors opened up with no problem. The trunk needed a little help, but the doors were fine.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 AM

Default Re: I havn't had any issues at all.

thanks for the info. I think they're may be a problem with my window seals since moisture is getting in there and freezing up the windows. The doors open but the windows freeze up creating a problem with the doors being closed.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 AM

If I recall correctly, someone posted a potential solution to the problem. Search this forum.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue. I thought the seatbelt was caught in the door. Queens/LI here.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, have issues with water/moisture on door glass after washing car

Quick Reply: A5 Doors/Windows Freeze Issue