Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 Automatic transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Automatic transmission problem

Hi,

I'm new to the Audi Forums and unfortunately my first post is related to a problem I have with my almost new Audi. The car is a 2011 A5 w/ premium plus package.

My problem is with the automatic transmission. When the car was around 500 miles the transmission started to be very “jumpy” while switching gears and this was mostly at low speeds (between 15 and 40 mph)

I took the car to Audi's service center and was told that the scanner didn't show any type of problems; in fact they told me they run the scanner twice.

In addition, I was advised by a friend to let the engine adapt to my driving style and that the problem may probably go away.

Today my A5 has around 2,500 miles and the problem not only continues but now I have a new issue: when I start the engine for the first time in the mornings I now hear a sporadic noise for a few seconds when I start driving.

Again the car has not shown any error messages and Audi Service keeps telling me that the car is fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Leon
Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Leon, welcome aboard!

Would it be accurate to describe the transmission issue as harsh downshifts?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

There was a TCM firmware update in January of this year for the 2011 tiptronic specifically to address "harsh shifts" (up and down). Have the dealer check that the installed is the most current.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since they are at it. Make them flush the transmission fluid. Whenever the car experience jerky up/down shift, your transmission may produce quite an amount of metal shaving and those will come back haunting you down the road.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2011 A5 with about 2500 miles on it and i am experiencing harsh down shifts (up and down). I will be taking it in tomorrow. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mtruhan
I have a 2011 A5 with about 2500 miles on it and i am experiencing harsh down shifts (up and down). I will be taking it in tomorrow. Thanks for the info!
Hi...I too Have a 2011 A5 with the 8 speed Tiptronic, and have experienced what you have described, but it has only happened about 2-3 times over the course of the 6 months and 8000kms I have on the car (approx 4500 miles)
Since I installed my ECU flashed with the APr Stage 1 upgrade, I haven't noticed a recurrance, however, it does not mean its gone.

Do you have the Full Audi Drive Select option as well ? The dealer mentioned that sometimes in the mode called Auto it can do this as it is adapting...which also may be the case in models without drive select.

I know for 2012 the Drive Select that comes with the S-Line package as standard equipment, does not have the full adaptability of the Stand alone option from 2011.

Just my thoughts....it could be just a matter of time for the Tranny to adapt.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Davidrf59
Hi...I too Have a 2011 A5 with the 8 speed Tiptronic, and have experienced what you have described, but it has only happened about 2-3 times over the course of the 6 months and 8000kms I have on the car (approx 4500 miles)
Since I installed my ECU flashed with the APr Stage 1 upgrade, I haven't noticed a recurrance, however, it does not mean its gone.

Do you have the Full Audi Drive Select option as well ? The dealer mentioned that sometimes in the mode called Auto it can do this as it is adapting...which also may be the case in models without drive select.

I know for 2012 the Drive Select that comes with the S-Line package as standard equipment, does not have the full adaptability of the Stand alone option from 2011.

Just my thoughts....it could be just a matter of time for the Tranny to adapt.
Not to take this off topic, but, how is the APR Upgrade? Happy with it? How much was it?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I really feel a major difference in the delivery of power and smoothness with the APR Stage 1 upgrade.
The car accelerates much faster, lots more torque for passing, but primarily the delivery is not jerky or abrupt.
I have heard that the Revo Flash delivers more in terms of raw power, but is much more abrupt in its delivery. I wanted something that was done by Audi Dealers in the USA, a program thart was endorsed by my dealer as Safe and quality, and finally one that would not "kick the ****" out of the car and the turbo.

I know they are built to withstand way more than stock, but they are still cars used for day to day use, and whenever you start fiddling with stuff and pushing beyond the norm, trouble insues.

I spent months doing the research and everything pointed to APR. I have 3 programs, but only run the second which is for 91 octane, as running on 93 octane, the car would need to be filled when it is practically empty, and only one Gas station carries it here anyways. On 91 its a sure thing. I have switched it back to Stock to feel the difference and it is very noticible.
I just broight my car for its 8000kn first oil change and inspection, and the technician hooked my ECU to his computer to check for Fault codes and it was transparant to his equipment. He said it would only wipe out the program if it needed to be reflashed and upgrades were needed.
I think I paid $599 + $150 for the installation......well worth the price for performance.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Davidrf59
I really feel a major difference in the delivery of power and smoothness with the APR Stage 1 upgrade.
The car accelerates much faster, lots more torque for passing, but primarily the delivery is not jerky or abrupt.
I have heard that the Revo Flash delivers more in terms of raw power, but is much more abrupt in its delivery. I wanted something that was done by Audi Dealers in the USA, a program thart was endorsed by my dealer as Safe and quality, and finally one that would not "kick the ****" out of the car and the turbo.

I know they are built to withstand way more than stock, but they are still cars used for day to day use, and whenever you start fiddling with stuff and pushing beyond the norm, trouble insues.

I spent months doing the research and everything pointed to APR. I have 3 programs, but only run the second which is for 91 octane, as running on 93 octane, the car would need to be filled when it is practically empty, and only one Gas station carries it here anyways. On 91 its a sure thing. I have switched it back to Stock to feel the difference and it is very noticible.
I just broight my car for its 8000kn first oil change and inspection, and the technician hooked my ECU to his computer to check for Fault codes and it was transparant to his equipment. He said it would only wipe out the program if it needed to be reflashed and upgrades were needed.
I think I paid $599 + $150 for the installation......well worth the price for performance.
Thanks for the feedback! Since when do Audi Dealers install the APR flash??? I thought they only did the Stasis flash. If this is true I need to find a dealer to do it, because that is a bargain.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was told their are a few Audi dealers in Florida and California who are authorized distributor/ Installers of APR Software.

I have also heard that their are a few dealers in Canada, probably in Ontario that are authorized in the same way for Stassis.

From ym extensive research on the many companies that offer these tunes, I finally decided on APR. My personal choice, gut feeling and outcome from visting the multiple dealers locally that offered everything from Revo,GIAC,Stassis and a few others.

Its the least expensive way to feel a nice boost to the cars performance. I feel it will have no harmful effects long term on the car, and as mentioned....My dealer said to go for it and not woory about the warrant being voided.

The only issue I have heard of, is that if the dealer reflashes the ECU for a major upgrade to software, it would wipe put the program, which would then mean returning to the place of purchase for a reflash, which is part of the deal when buying it.

Quick Reply: A5 Automatic transmission problem