Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

225/45/18 Vs 245/40/18 for winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 225/45/18 Vs 245/40/18 for winter tires

Hi all,

Shopping around for snow tires. I wonder what size would be better
Both would be mounted in 8" wheels. 225 are a bit cheaper and theoretically better in snow. Wheels would be the same size, so Im not going to save on space (when stored). Right?

Will the 245 protect the rims better (profile would be the same, but if mounted in ame size rims, then should sit wider?)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I opted for 225/45 on my S5. In snow, you want to concentrate the car's weight on a smaller (narrower) contact patch to increase traction. By the way, I sold my S5 after the winter and have a near-pristine set of 18" replica wheels with snows (only about 3K miles) available. Where are you located?
Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I plan to use an A/S tire instead of a direct winter tire. My reasons being, most of the time there isn't snow actually on the ground and there could be months straight with little to no snow, that my winter tires would be on the ground. I know snow tires perform better when it does snow, but for the expensive price you pay for winters I'd rather just get an all season that is more comfortable, cheaper, lasts longer, and that I can use for a bit longer outside of just the strict winter season. Either way I'd go with 255/45 as I think the 225 IMO is too small. Hell I ran 275/35/20's in the winter in my A8; yes my other A8 with 255/45/18's ran a bit better and seemed to work better in the snow, but I never once had an issue with either tire or size. Also our winters are from Michigan, so they got pretty damn bad last year.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
I plan to use an A/S tire instead of a direct winter tire. My reasons being, most of the time there isn't snow actually on the ground and there could be months straight with little to no snow, that my winter tires would be on the ground. I know snow tires perform better when it does snow, but for the expensive price you pay for winters I'd rather just get an all season that is more comfortable, cheaper, lasts longer, and that I can use for a bit longer outside of just the strict winter season. Either way I'd go with 255/45 as I think the 225 IMO is too small. Hell I ran 275/35/20's in the winter in my A8; yes my other A8 with 255/45/18's ran a bit better and seemed to work better in the snow, but I never once had an issue with either tire or size. Also our winters are from Michigan, so they got pretty damn bad last year.
Well here in Colorado we get 300 days of sun a year but we run snow tires. I tired Conti DWS on my Q5 the first winter and got tired of the white knuckle driving and went with snows the next year - and we are not sorry - and don't understand your statement that snow tires are uncomfortable.

I have run snows for all my audis - and have gotten great tread wear here.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a great winter set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM60s on graphite wheels for sale - 245/40/18 which I used on my A5. They are in excellent shape.

I am not sure where you are ...I am located in Pennsylvania
Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
It's an interesting comment.
What A/S did you have?
How were they in ice? (that's my win concern with A/S).

I was back and forward deciding on AS Vs snow and kind of decided for snows for a few reasons. First, the main reason why I would get AS is to just use them all year and not just winter. So if Im switching in winter, I would just use dedicated winter tires. Also, I think the 18 inch will do better with potholes Vs my 19s.

For what I have read, high performance snow should drive nicely even at high speeds in dry pavement )Vs studless winters).
Old 09-05-2014, 02:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drvai
It's an interesting comment.
What A/S did you have?
How were they in ice? (that's my win concern with A/S).

I was back and forward deciding on AS Vs snow and kind of decided for snows for a few reasons. First, the main reason why I would get AS is to just use them all year and not just winter. So if Im switching in winter, I would just use dedicated winter tires. Also, I think the 18 inch will do better with potholes Vs my 19s.

For what I have read, high performance snow should drive nicely even at high speeds in dry pavement )Vs studless winters).
I had a 2011 Prestige with 19" titanium wheels. When I was researching what to do (similar to you) the overwhelming feedback was to drop to 18" for the winter set up.

They were absolutely phenomenal in the winter (combining great tires with the A5's all wheel drive system) - I never had a problem getting around suburban Philadelphia (and we have our share of snow and ice). The dry road performance was a very good experience too.

The other benefit is you extend the life of your summer tires too.

I hope his helps