Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2012 S5 reccomendations for winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 S5 reccomendations for winter tires?

Ok, some may scoff at my intention to drive a brand new S5 through the upstate NY winter, but this is my first Audi and I'm interested in hearing from anyone who actually drives this sport car in the snow. I know I'll need snow tires and my dealer said get a second set of rims + tires and store the 19" 255/35 summer performance set. Any helpful information/experience is well appreciated. For example, did you get OEM from the dealer or what fits from tire rack, etc. BTW, I absolutely love this car.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by drewman1
Ok, some may scoff at my intention to drive a brand new S5 through the upstate NY winter, but this is my first Audi and I'm interested in hearing from anyone who actually drives this sport car in the snow. I know I'll need snow tires and my dealer said get a second set of rims + tires and store the 19" 255/35 summer performance set. Any helpful information/experience is well appreciated. For example, did you get OEM from the dealer or what fits from tire rack, etc. BTW, I absolutely love this car.
Hello, and welcome aboard, Drew!

Have you heard of Tire Rack? You'll have many choices of wheel designs over there. I'd select any of the mainstream tires, I have a slight preference towards Michelin as they produce a very nice tire.

You'll have no issues getting around except for deep snow and poor ground clearance on these cars.

A package from the dealer will be 2X the money.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2771940
Old 09-27-2011, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I too have a preference for Michelin tires (their Alpin snow tires in this case). I got the Rial DH rims (German made, hubcentric; use OEM lug bolts) with tires mounted from Tire Rack last season. No problems at all with Winter driving. Quattro with good snow tires is a wonderful thing.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I recomend Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 or 70's as 2nd choice. DOn't buy performance snow tires. KInda an oxymoron. you in upstate NY, you bought a Quattro, ......with WS60's you'll be limited by ground clearance only. I've had 6 sets of Blizzaks, I have snow and big hills and I have to respond to work 24/7 if called. If the 17 in clears your brakes the wheel/tire package may be cheaper then 18in. Forget 19in. all you need is the same O.D. overall diam. of the tire vs factory. Call tirerack guy, they'll help you. wheels are < $150ea. and the package is totally easy to sell if you sell your car. Don't even try driving in the cold on the 19in summer tires.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I ran Blizzaks on OEM 19's (pictured below) through one of Chicago's worst winters in history. Didn't have an issue.

I also recommend Dunlop Winter Sport 3D.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone put together any good winter wheel/tire packages on Tire Rack for the A5/S5? If so, what did you find and how much was it? Also, what is the smallest wheel you can go with on our cars to clear the caliper?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 05A632
Has anyone put together any good winter wheel/tire packages on Tire Rack for the A5/S5? If so, what did you find and how much was it? Also, what is the smallest wheel you can go with on our cars to clear the caliper?
I just got a set of wheels and Blizzak WS60 18" tires from the TireRack for less than $1500 and that included the freight.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05A632
I believe the smallest is 18" on the S5 and 17" on the A5 (though some people have reported successfully mounting 16" wheels on the A5). The tirerack.com web site has excellent tools for seeing what will fit your car.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Just received set of 4 Michelin Alpin snows, 245/40/18 mounted on plain 5 spoke alloy wheels from Tire Rack for my 2012 S5. $1666 with freight. Have been driving quattros for 20 years here in ND, but always had "all-season" tires. As said, problem is not traction, but low ground clearence. Have not put the snows on yet as still "fall" here.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

drewman1,
Your dealer is correct. You should get another set of wheels with winter tires, and keep your original wheels/tires aside during the winter. Winter tires will make a radical difference, as compared to summer tires or all-season tires.
I grew up in upstate NY, and I wouldn't want to drive there with any vehicle without winter tires. The winter tires (on snow) will mean the difference between being nervous when driving, and feeling confident and enjoying the drive. Also, the cost of the winter tires will be more than made up by you avoiding accidents and incurring your collision deductible (if you don't get the winter tires). That doesn't mean that some brave Audi brothers don't get along okay without winter tires, but its better and safer to go with the winter tires.
Winter tires in your factory original size (19-inch) will be costly (most are over $300 each), and it'll be costly if you swap them back-n-forth every season on your original wheels, because you'd have to pay to dismount, mount, and balance ,twice per season. So get another set of wheels, and like the other posters have said, it makes sense to get a slightly smaller size wheel, such as 18-inch.
If you get 18-inch wheels, the tire size recommended by TireRack is 245/40-18.
I bought the winter tires from TireRack.com (see photos), but I bought the wheels from elsewhere, because I wanted a wheel style (in 18-inch size) that matched the original 19-inch wheels, and TireRack didn't have any wheels like that (at least not last month when I bought them). So I had the additional cost of having them mounted and balanced.
If you buy the wheels and the tires from TireRack.com, they will mount and balance them for free, and they'll arrive at your door ready to be put on your car.
As for which winter tires, the Michelins that others mentioned are top rated on TireRack.com. I bought one of the next best rated performance winter tires, Dunlop 3D, because I've driven on Dunlop M2's and M3's for years, and they work well for me and they last a long time (for me). Take a look at TireRack.com's ratings/surveys, and decide from there.
I think one of the responders talked about winter tires that are not the performance versions, and that they're better in the snow; and they're right. But many people think that you give up some of the performance feel with the non-performance winter tires when you drive on dry pavement. Thats a decision that only you can make, based on your driving style and desires.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2012 S5 reccomendations for winter tires?