Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2012 A5 fuel pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:58 AM
DHH
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a very apologetic call from the service manager yesterday, saying that it's been raised to the highest level possible (Audi USA), and that they're doing everything they can to get my car repaired asap...but I missed a beautiful commute this morning.

Apparently, they're replacing the ECU, and they "think" it's the Stassis chip that caused the problem. I told them in no uncertain terms that I want a root cause found so that this will not happen again.

That's all I know at this point - I'll post more as soon as I have more details.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DHH
I got a very apologetic call from the service manager yesterday, saying that it's been raised to the highest level possible (Audi USA), and that they're doing everything they can to get my car repaired asap...but I missed a beautiful commute this morning.

Apparently, they're replacing the ECU, and they "think" it's the Stassis chip that caused the problem. I told them in no uncertain terms that I want a root cause found so that this will not happen again.

That's all I know at this point - I'll post more as soon as I have more details.
Ah, that explains it. You never said your car had an aftermarket chip.

I think they are blowing smoke up you *** when they say that "it's been raised to the highest level possible" (either that, or they are lying to Audi USA and failing to disclose that you car has a modded ECU). If the problem is indeed caused by the Stasis chip, Audi USA has nothing to do with it. Audi USA does not warranty Stasis stuff - the individual dealer does.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's kinda ridiculous to blast Audi with nasty letters because of a possible stasis chip problem.

You modded your car and stasis and the individual dealer are responsible for it. Not Audi. When you mess with factory stuff you are taking a risk

So stop whining about how you miss driving with the top down and how everybody has to drop down on bended knee at Audi of America. Write a letter to stasis.

You could have bought an s5 if you wanted more power. Then you could complain to Audi all you want.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:33 AM
DHH
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the sequence of events so far:

1. Engine light comes on, car is taken to the dealership.
2. Dealer informs me that the fuel pump sensor has failed, and they are overnighting a new fuel pump.
3. The following day, the dealership informs me that they have to order a new controller board, and it will take 3 day s to 3 weeks to arrive.

At this point, they have NOT told me that they suspect it was the Stassis chip was the problem.

4. Given the fact that the car was only 3 weeks old, I found this situation to be untenable, and drafted a letter to Audi USA which I posted on this forum for feedback. However I never sent the letter because...
5. The dealership called me the following day to inform me that they had enlisted Audi USA themselves in order to expedite the acquisition of the new board. At this time, they also informed me that they suspected that the Stassis chip was the problem, but weren't 100% sure. The old board is being sent to Stassis for diagnostics testing.

So I am happy to say that both the dealership and Audi USA are addressing this issue in the best way possible. I will post again once I have a final resolution.

For those who have shown your support and constructive feedback, I thank you.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default engine light

Is it possible to get the fault number and posted,
that way you can get better help here.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:28 AM
DHH
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s4master1
Is it possible to get the fault number and posted,
that way you can get better help here.
Thanks for the tip. I'll ask the service dude, and post it if I get it.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DHH
Thanks for the tip. I'll ask the service dude, and post it if I get it.
Which dealer are you working with? Sounds a lot like the nightmares I had in Burlington, MA......
Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
DHH
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Love My A5
Which dealer are you working with? Sounds a lot like the nightmares I had in Burlington, MA......
I'm working with the Stratham, NH dealership, and they've actually been very good - they've gone beyond what I expected of them by dealing with Audi USA directly to expedite the acquisition of the part, which in fact arrived today. So the only thing that I would like from them is that a deterministic root cause be found and addressed. I expressed that to the service dude today, and he said he would make sure it was addressed with Stassis. So we'll see...
Old 09-12-2011, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hope it all works out for you.

But, you put a chip in your car, how can you be mad at Audi? Guess I don't understand....
Old 09-12-2011, 03:39 PM
DHH
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Love My A5
Hope it all works out for you.

But, you put a chip in your car, how can you be mad at Audi? Guess I don't understand....
Please read one of my previous posts today. I was upset with Audi *before* I was told that it could be the Stassis chip that was causing the problem. At that time, I was being told that it was simply a controller board problem, and would take 3 days to 3 weeks to acquire a new one. For a car that was only 3 weeks old, that was simply unacceptable to me.

But now, even with the assumption that it is the Stassis chip that is the problem, Audi has done all they can to expedite the solution, even though they didn't have to.

So on the contrary, Audi has gone beyond what they were obligated to do, so I would have to say that I am quite happy with how things are being handled. I am now just hoping that the root cause is definitively found so I am not going through this again in a month.

Quick Reply: 2012 A5 fuel pump failure