Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Moving on

Old 03-28-2014, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hlt1634
Why didn't you keep the Z06 and just add the RS5 for everyday use..that is what I did...best of both worlds..in my opinion.
agreed, my S5 is my daily driver but I take out my Shelby GT500 when I want to tear up the roads and scare small children.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by floraudi
The RS5 was boring to drive unless you really turned it loose, and even then no big deal.
No offense but...then you aren't driving it right. To each his own.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hippyshakes
No offense but...then you aren't driving it right. To each his own.
A man who has owned and driven a ZO6 knows what is what on performance.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I must say I agree about "Being boring to drive". The transmission is a huge letdown for me. I bought one without test driving it, Unfortunately.

Once I got it, it was already too late. I'm not a big fan of Porsche either, unless it's GT3... but that's out of my price range for right now.

Good luck with your new car.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Boostinfd
I must say I agree about "Being boring to drive". The transmission is a huge letdown for me. I bought one without test driving it, Unfortunately.

Once I got it, it was already too late. I'm not a big fan of Porsche either, unless it's GT3... but that's out of my price range for right now.

Good luck with your new car.
so if you had to do it over again what car would you be in now instead of the RS5?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I find it relaxing when I don't want to get on it, am stuck behind some Sunday drivers or have my wife in the car who doesn't enjoy g-force as much as I do :-) and more thrilling than the comparable slow shifts of a traditional manual transmission when ripping thru a canyon. Different perspective I guess.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-31-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nyc1212
so if you had to do it over again what car would you be in now instead of the RS5?
2007 997 Turbo... or try to find 2007 GT3 used with more miles.

New M3/M4 is also an option... but I wouldn't get it first year... probably 2016.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I find it relaxing when I don't want to get on it, am stuck behind some Sunday drivers or have my wife in the car who doesn't enjoy g-force as much as I do :-) and more thrilling than the comparable slow shifts of a traditional manual transmission when ripping thru a canyon. Different perspective I guess.
See, the thing to me is, I love manual cars and the sound it makes when you change gears. My 02 M3 had SMG transmission, which to me, is the best transmission ever made. Yes, I'm sure a lot of people will tell you they had issues with the pump, but it sounded like true Manual. It has that "breath" when going from gear to gear... that rpm drop and nice transition.

Then I bought 2009 M3 with DCT... I was hoping it would be like SMG... well it was even better. When stopped, it rolls back a little just like manual. The shifts are nice and smooth and the transition is awesome.

In audi, It's pure automatic to me. I have to hold the brake at the stop signs as it goes forward... when driving, around 30mph it's in 7th gear. When going to a stop it jerks until it downshifts. In manual, same thing...

Again, this is just my opinion. Some may judge it on a different level... and they may love it over the others. Good Thing we're all different.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

See, the thing to me is, I love manual cars and the sound it makes when you change gears. My 02 M3 had SMG transmission, which to me, is the best transmission ever made. Yes, I'm sure a lot of people will tell you they had issues with the pump, but it sounded like true Manual. It has that "breath" when going from gear to gear... that rpm drop and nice transition.

Then I bought 2009 M3 with DCT... I was hoping it would be like SMG... well it was even better. When stopped, it rolls back a little just like manual. The shifts are nice and smooth and the transition is awesome.

In audi, It's pure automatic to me. I have to hold the brake at the stop signs as it goes forward... when driving, around 30mph it's in 7th gear. When going to a stop it jerks until it downshifts. In manual, same thing...

Again, this is just my opinion. Some may judge it on a different level... and they may love it over the others. Good Thing we're all different.
I don't have experience with the M3 DCT. The RS5 is my first sequential gearbox. Had only manual transmissions before. With 6 shift programs, though, I feel like I would inevitable be in the wrong mode at any given time. I have to channel Steve Jobs a bit here. Simplicity goes a long way. The shifts should be modulated through the throttle, which the S-tronic does pretty well, but you have to train your muscles and you have to drive the car for about 8000 miles to let the transmission adapt and the engine to fully open up.

I'm surprised you liked the SMG, but complain about jerky shifts in the RS5. As you probably know, with the SMG, BMW just took their manual transmission and bolted on a mechatronic unit. Great for the track, but universally viewed as largely undrivable in every day situations.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know about anyone else, but when I want to 'drive' the car I ALWAYS have it in manual mode and Dynamic (to hear the Sports exhaust).

My RS5 is not a daily driver so on the odd occasion where I am just tootling around in it, I will just drop it into Comfort and leave it in drive and let the car do its thing. Actually think it does a fairly good job of being a conventional (and smooth) auto in this mode.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving on