Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

I've never owned a performance car and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an RS5.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've never owned a performance car and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an RS5.

I think I know which response I'll get on this site... but I'm in the market for a new car and I'd like to drive more of a performance car. My last car was a 2009 335i sedan which I enjoyed but was happy to give back after the lease was over. It was a sedan and I regretted not getting the coupe everyday. This next car will be a coupe. For the past two years I haven't had a car (moved to the big city, took public transit) and now I want something fun to get me around as a daily driver. I plan on owning this car for the next 5+ yrs.

What I like about the RS5 coupe:

What I'm not sure about:

Let me know if I've forgotten or overlooked anything. If you like another car more, convince me to buy it instead! All comments are very appreciated!
                    Old 04-30-2014, 01:47 PM
                    AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy it... You have no idea how much fun it is... I have the normal wave breaks and they work just fine... about the tires i don't know because i live in Miami... I recommend Sepang Blue because is just an attention grabber and everybody look at you at stop lights... I am going to attach some pictures of mine and a vid... the video is very bad quality

Attached Images   
                    Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM
                    Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by christinasworld
                    I think I know which response I'll get on this site... but I'm in the market for a new car and I'd like to drive more of a performance car. My last car was a 2009 335i sedan which I enjoyed but was happy to give back after the lease was over. It was a sedan and I regretted not getting the coupe everyday. This next car will be a coupe. For the past two years I haven't had a car (moved to the big city, took public transit) and now I want something fun to get me around as a daily driver. I plan on owning this car for the next 5+ yrs.

What I'm not sure about:

Let me know if I've forgotten or overlooked anything. If you like another car more, convince me to buy it instead! All comments are very appreciated!
                                      I don't know that it's more subtle than a Porsche, there isn't much that's subtle about the RS5

Winter tires are a must, all seasons on a car like this would be a shame. Plan on spending a bit on some winter tires/rims.

Maintenance issues usually don't pop up until after year 5 (in general but anything is possible). I would never want to own an Audi or any German car out of warranty just because of the cost of repairs/parts.

I didn't opt for the ceramic brakes, but I've heard the "standard" ones are crap when it comes to the track. I plan on putting some after-market pads on, I couldn't see spending $6k on the ceramics.

The car is more expensive than the C63, M4, etc. but none of those are AWD. I think that's what so many people overlook with the RS5 is the Quattro, both for performance/driving purposes but more importantly for those of us in winter climates we get a year-round sports car.

Colors are of course personal. I've seen both Suzuka and Daytona in person and if it were me, I would opt for the Suzuka as it's a very unique color and it shows the lines on the car better IMO.

And you're right, it looks ****ing amazing!!
                                      Old 04-30-2014, 06:55 PM
                                      AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

You wont regret RS5, Christina! Its an amazing machine for all year round use. I live in CO and have all season Conties DWS and they are amazing in snow so I dont need to put winter tires. Its pricey but it deserves every penny once you get behind the wheel switch to dynamic mode and floor it!! And it has great MPG too..mine shows 20.2 combined for 7000 miles which I think is great since is my daily driver! Ceramic breaks are for me just a waste of $ so if you dont plan to go on track scratch them! So far no mechanical issues car runs smooth for 7000 miles. As far as color this car need something eye catching like sepang blue,estoril blue or misano red. Anything else will be dull ..just my .02c
                                      Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 PM
                                      AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by knightriderRS5
                                      Just buy it... You have no idea how much fun it is... I have the normal wave breaks and they work just fine... about the tires i don't know because i live in Miami... I recommend Sepang Blue because is just an attention grabber and everybody look at you at stop lights... I am going to attach some pictures of mine and a vid... the video is very bad quality

AUDI RS5 - YouTube

AUDI RS5 | V8 MUSIC - YouTube

AUDI RS5 REVIEW - YouTube
                                      I agree about the sound and the blue color, it looks very nice. Thanks for your helpful reply!
                                      Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 PM
                                      AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by antoff
                                      You wont regret RS5, Christina! Its an amazing machine for all year round use. I live in CO and have all season Conties DWS and they are amazing in snow so I dont need to put winter tires. Its pricey but it deserves every penny once you get behind the wheel switch to dynamic mode and floor it!! And it has great MPG too..mine shows 20.2 combined for 7000 miles which I think is great since is my daily driver! Ceramic breaks are for me just a waste of $ so if you dont plan to go on track scratch them! So far no mechanical issues car runs smooth for 7000 miles. As far as color this car need something eye catching like sepang blue,estoril blue or misano red. Anything else will be dull ..just my .02c
                                      Thanks for the info, I think I'll definitely get a set of winter tires, the snow up here last year was pretty terrible. Thanks for the help! And I agree about the color, although I think Suzuka is still pretty nice.
                                      Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 PM
                                      AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Egan917
                                      I don't know that it's more subtle than a Porsche, there isn't much that's subtle about the RS5

Winter tires are a must, all seasons on a car like this would be a shame. Plan on spending a bit on some winter tires/rims.

Maintenance issues usually don't pop up until after year 5 (in general but anything is possible). I would never want to own an Audi or any German car out of warranty just because of the cost of repairs/parts.

I didn't opt for the ceramic brakes, but I've heard the "standard" ones are crap when it comes to the track. I plan on putting some after-market pads on, I couldn't see spending $6k on the ceramics.

The car is more expensive than the C63, M4, etc. but none of those are AWD. I think that's what so many people overlook with the RS5 is the Quattro, both for performance/driving purposes but more importantly for those of us in winter climates we get a year-round sports car.

Colors are of course personal. I've seen both Suzuka and Daytona in person and if it were me, I would opt for the Suzuka as it's a very unique color and it shows the lines on the car better IMO.

And you're right, it looks ****ing amazing!!
                                      Thanks for the input! The think the AWD is a big selling factor to me and I don't I'll use the Ceramic brakes.
                                      Old 05-01-2014, 04:37 AM
                                      AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to confirm what others have said:

1. A high performance car like this deserves a good set of summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter. Don't settle on all-seasons.

2. You do not need ceramic brakes. No one does unless significant amounts of track time are in the future. Even then - a good set of track brake pads and Motul RBF600 brake fluid is more than adequate.

3. Get the Audi maintenance plan - it pays for itself in savings on regular annual maintenance costs. You can never predict whether any particular car will have some significant repair needs, but if your dealer provides a loaner you won't be stuck without transportation.

4. I won't comment on colors - it's way too personal. I've had both gray and blue coupes and have loved them both.

Last edited by ChipB; 05-02-2014 at 06:22 AM.
                                      Old 05-01-2014, 08:16 AM
                                      jgd
                                      Banned

Originally Posted by ChipB
                                      Just to confirm what others have said:

1. A high performance car like this deserves a good set of summer tires in teh summer and winter tires in the winter. Don't settle on all-seasons.

2. You do not need ceramic brakes. No one does unless significabnt amounts of track time are in the future. Even then - a good set of track brake pads and Motul RBF600 brake fluid is more than adequate.

3. Get the Audi maintenance plan - it pays for itself in savings on regular annual maintennace costs. You can never predict whetehr any particular car will have some significant repair needs, but if yuor dealer provides a loaner you won't be stuck witjout transportation.

4. I won't comment on colors - it's way too personal. I've had both gray and blue coupes and have loved them both.
                                      +1 on what ChipB says, to help/confuse your decision on color attached is my new Daytona Grey
                                      Attached Images  
                                      Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 AM
                                      Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by christinasworld

What I'm not sure about:

RS5 is a great car!!! you will never regret it..

- Price: yes it is a lil bit more that c63 and M4/3 but you will get more for your money mainly the legndary quattro. also if you spec an RS5 with MMI it will be around 74, Spec and M3 with DCT, Hifi, carbon inlays to match what you will get in the RS5 and you will see the gap in price will vanish.

Add to that with RS5 you will get exclusivity and better resale value (private sale not trade in) in 5 years if you kept it well maintained.

- Maintenance: Bad news here all German cars are pricey to fix and maintain. so Audi Care and extended warranty if it was reasonably priced will be worth it if you want have that car for 5+ years, also when you decide to sell the car with couple of months left in the warranty, you will get more buyers.

- The steel brakes are more than enough for daily driving, but for track they will start to fade out quickly and Ceramics brakes will help you, at 6K they are a good deal if you compare them to the $8400 brakes from an M4. so for daily drivers not brakes needed, but for track days you have to invest in better brakes.

- For snow you will need another set of tires for sure.. I live in Miami and for rainy season i was ok with all seasons tires, i felt the less grip for sure but the car was ok because you do not push it hard on public wet roads, but for snow you will need another set of tires 1000%

Search this Thread
                                                        Quick Reply: I've never owned a performance car and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an RS5.