Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

im buying an audi. s4 or s5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HTML Code:
[CODE][/CODE]
Originally Posted by questionlp
Right now, special orders are in the form of Audi Exclusive, which usually only cover the exterior and interior options. I have not seen or heard of any special orders with drive train swaps. I would definitely ask, but I have a feeling that they will probably tell you to wait until the 2012 MY is available. I didn't see your message before I left for the test drive, so I didn't explicitly ask about it.

Stasis and other tuners out there do make chips available for the S5, but I don't know if it will make it as quick as the S4, particularly off the line. I'm not sure if any of the tunes will bring peak torque down as low or in as broad of a range as in the S4/S5 Cabriolet. It's that characteristic of the supercharged 3.0 that gives it that additional punch, not to mention that there is less mass to spool up (albeit, there is a touch more grunt required for the compression stroke due to the forced induction).

If you want the best of both worlds, your only realistic option is the more expensive S5 Cabriolet. Now, you could build out a basic S5 Cabriolet for about the same price as an optioned out S5 coupe (plus or minus a grand). You'll probably break even or eke out a bit more gas mileage in the Cabriolet as well.
FYI - For 2011 model year, Audi Exclusive only covers exterior colors for all cars except the R8 and A8. I was ordering a 2010 S5 but the order missed the cut off date (another vague Audi date that dealers are forced to guess about) and cannot get an Audi Exclusive interior now. The good news is that the 2011 order guide allows more interior/exterior combinations (hopefully - already had one "valid" combination bounce, but current combo "approved" and keeping my fingers crossed).

P.S. I've ordered the 2011 S5 coupe now because I want the V8. The V6T is a great engine, but that sound of the V8 is intoxicating - it is something that will bring a smile to my face every time I start the car. Everything I've read reports the V8 a touch faster (average of about 4.9 vs 5.1), but I agree about the torque advantage of the V6T. To me, the S5 is plenty fast. If I was younger I might go for the 335is or M3 since they both do 0-60 in the low 4s or the CTS-V coupe (3.8), but I want a luxury sports coupe. The mileage difference is another benefit of the V6T, but I would caution basing the decision on gas mileage. Like the 335s, getting good gas mileage with the V6T requires calm driving (no/low boost). I should note, however, reports regarding gas mileage are all over the map, and I have more experience with BMWs.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ruairi
P.S. I've ordered the 2011 S5 coupe now because I want the V8. The V6T is a great engine, but that sound of the V8 is intoxicating - it is something that will bring a smile to my face every time I start the car. Everything I've read reports the V8 a touch faster (average of about 4.9 vs 5.1), but I agree about the torque advantage of the V6T. To me, the S5 is plenty fast. If I was younger I might go for the 335is or M3 since they both do 0-60 in the low 4s or the CTS-V coupe (3.8), but I want a luxury sports coupe. The mileage difference is another benefit of the V6T, but I would caution basing the decision on gas mileage. Like the 335s, getting good gas mileage with the V6T requires calm driving (no/low boost). I should note, however, reports regarding gas mileage are all over the map, and I have more experience with BMWs.
What sold it for me is the style and the sound, and I agree in that it is plenty fast for me (mostly when coming from my current A4). I had been cross shopping an 335i, 335xi and M3 when thinking about the S5, but the lack of all-wheel drive and the less-than-great ergonomics of the 3-series (at least, for my build), the S5 was the only choice.

I'm not a fan of the CTS design, though I respect the handling and performance of the V models. I also am not a huge fan of the interior or the rear-end of the G37 coupe, so that got crossed off my list early on.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What sold it for me is the style and the sound, and I agree in that it is plenty fast for me (mostly when coming from my current A4). I had been cross shopping an 335i, 335xi and M3 when thinking about the S5, but the lack of all-wheel drive and the less-than-great ergonomics of the 3-series (at least, for my build), the S5 was the only choice.

I'm not a fan of the CTS design, though I respect the handling and performance of the V models. I also am not a huge fan of the interior or the rear-end of the G37 coupe, so that got crossed off my list early on.
great info guys. what about the rims? i like the rims on the rs5 alot better. can i have the s5 come with the rs5 rims? heres a pic
http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2011-...llpaper_09.htm
Old 07-24-2010, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by johnpalley
great info guys. what about the rims? i like the rims on the rs5 alot better. can i have the s5 come with the rs5 rims? heres a pic
http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2011-...llpaper_09.htm
I like the standard five double-spoke wheels, though some prefer the five triple-spoke wheels instead.

The Titanium Package includes wheels that look the same as the RS5 wheels, in addition to the blacked out grill and window surrounds.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like the standard five double-spoke wheels, though some prefer the five triple-spoke wheels instead.

The Titanium Package includes wheels that look the same as the RS5 wheels, in addition to the blacked out grill and window surrounds.
is there a picture you know of on the web of a s5 with the titanium package? i only found one pic and the rims were chrome
Old 07-24-2010, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

My thoughts exactly. Originally I wasn't considering an Audi, but, luckily, I took a look. I also feel the exterior and interior of the S5 are special (as well as the engine). I've never been a fan of all-wheel drive (live in SoCal), but the new quattro setup and MLP platform make for a great sports car (the sport rear differential improves handing further). As for being fast enough, it wasn't long ago when 0-60 in 5 seconds was super car realm, and 325ft-lbs is still is a lot of torque.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

is there a picture you know of on the web of a s5 with the titanium package? i only found one pic and the rims were chrome
Fourtitude has some pictures, the last one being the S5:
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_6065.shtml
Old 07-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fourtitude has some pictures, the last one being the S5:
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_6065.shtml
your right, pretty much the same as the rs5. nice! im definitely gettin that package. once again thank for your help. take care
Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that the RS5 wheel is quite a bit more concave than the rest of the lineup despite looking the same. Just setting some expectations.

your right, pretty much the same as the rs5. nice! im definitely gettin that package. once again thank for your help. take care
Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zerinTT
Keep in mind that the RS5 wheel is quite a bit more concave than the rest of the lineup despite looking the same. Just setting some expectations.
thanks for pointing that out