Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

im buying an audi. s4 or s5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem and I definitely can't wait for mine to finally arrive
Old 07-24-2010, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not trying to sway you from buying an S5 by any means but since you asked which is the better performer...do yourself a favor and find an S4 to test drive with the 3.0T. The 4.2 is just old hat compared to the 3.0T unless you absolutely have to have that V8 sound. That's the ONLY area where the 4.2 excels over the 3.0T.

*Disclaimer: I'm in no way shape or form comparing the cars or trying to start a war. I'm merely pointing out that from a performance standpoint the 3.0T is a far superior engine than the 4.2 in the S5.*

Originally Posted by johnpalley
thanks for all the info questionlp, i appreciate it. i cant wait to get an s5!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zerinTT
I'm not trying to sway you from buying an S5 by any means but since you asked which is the better performer...do yourself a favor and find an S4 to test drive with the 3.0T. The 4.2 is just old hat compared to the 3.0T unless you absolutely have to have that V8 sound. That's the ONLY area where the 4.2 excels over the 3.0T.

*Disclaimer: I'm in no way shape or form comparing the cars or trying to start a war. I'm merely pointing out that from a performance standpoint the 3.0T is a far superior engine than the 4.2 in the S5.*
I agree that the S4 is overall a better performer. I'm glad that we have the options between a performance sports sedan (S4), performance grand tourer (S5) and high-performance coupe (RS5) as they all aim at different audiences and needs.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zerinTT

thanks for the response. i had a feeling someone was gonna say that. let me ask you all a question.

i remember question said before that the convertible s5 is the only version that has the v6 supercharged motor. is there any way at all that for some extra money i can pre order a s5 coupe specially made with the 3.0 motor? it seems to me that it could be done cause there already putting the v6 in an s5 frame in the first place but the top is just different,
Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

While you could put down a deposit on a 2012 MY Audi S5, but Audi won't build any special S5's with the 3.0T engine until it is an official product.

BTW, I just came back from a test drive of a 2010 S5 Cabriolet (Sprint Blue, Black leather, Prestige, Audi Drive Select and Drive Assist) and definitely felt the up-front oomph of the engine and the really liked the *pop* when shifting. It definitely transferred more road noise and bumps than the coupe, but I didn't feel or hear any wind buffeting.

Would I take it over the coupe that I have on order? Not really, since I would still want a manual transmission, I would miss the coupe's styling, I had a bit more headroom in the coupe and I've always missed the sound of a V8
Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so question, did you ask them at the dealership if you could make a special order and they said no?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

is it possible to get a chip or something to make the s5 as quick as the s4? if so what would i have to do to the car and how much would it cost?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Right now, special orders are in the form of Audi Exclusive, which usually only cover the exterior and interior options. I have not seen or heard of any special orders with drive train swaps. I would definitely ask, but I have a feeling that they will probably tell you to wait until the 2012 MY is available. I didn't see your message before I left for the test drive, so I didn't explicitly ask about it.

Stasis and other tuners out there do make chips available for the S5, but I don't know if it will make it as quick as the S4, particularly off the line. I'm not sure if any of the tunes will bring peak torque down as low or in as broad of a range as in the S4/S5 Cabriolet. It's that characteristic of the supercharged 3.0 that gives it that additional punch, not to mention that there is less mass to spool up (albeit, there is a touch more grunt required for the compression stroke due to the forced induction).

If you want the best of both worlds, your only realistic option is the more expensive S5 Cabriolet. Now, you could build out a basic S5 Cabriolet for about the same price as an optioned out S5 coupe (plus or minus a grand). You'll probably break even or eke out a bit more gas mileage in the Cabriolet as well.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by questionlp
Right now, special orders are in the form of Audi Exclusive, which usually only cover the exterior and interior options. I have not seen or heard of any special orders with drive train swaps. I would definitely ask, but I have a feeling that they will probably tell you to wait until the 2012 MY is available. I didn't see your message before I left for the test drive, so I didn't explicitly ask about it.

Stasis and other tuners out there do make chips available for the S5, but I don't know if it will make it as quick as the S4, particularly off the line. I'm not sure if any of the tunes will bring peak torque down as low or in as broad of a range as in the S4/S5 Cabriolet. It's that characteristic of the supercharged 3.0 that gives it that additional punch, not to mention that there is less mass to spool up (albeit, there is a touch more grunt required for the compression stroke due to the forced induction).

If you want the best of both worlds, your only realistic option is the more expensive S5 Cabriolet. Now, you could build out a basic S5 Cabriolet for about the same price as an optioned out S5 coupe (plus or minus a grand). You'll probably break even or eke out a bit more gas mileage in the Cabriolet as well.
thanks, its not the money that bothers me i just dont like the looks of the cab. i gotta run out for a couple hours but il be back. i had a couple more questions for u
Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi will not build a special order S5 3.0T for you until the 3.0T has been made official (rumor has it 2012). Until then, you can forget about it in the coupe.

Originally Posted by johnpalley
thanks, its not the money that bothers me i just dont like the looks of the cab. i gotta run out for a couple hours but il be back. i had a couple more questions for u

Quick Reply: im buying an audi. s4 or s5?