Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

How will my S5 handle snow/ice with summer tires?

Old 02-08-2014, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let me tell you!

I live in Atlanta. Yes, the city that shut down with three inches of snow. I drove my S5 home in it and it performed amazing. I was driving by cars that could not pull hills and even at one point was flagged down by a man walking down the road saying turn around road ahead is not passible. Well, I took it anyway at got right through it. Braking on summer tires was not good however.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fandawg
I live in Atlanta. Yes, the city that shut down with three inches of snow. I drove my S5 home in it and it performed amazing. I was driving by cars that could not pull hills and even at one point was flagged down by a man walking down the road saying turn around road ahead is not passible. Well, I took it anyway at got right through it. Braking on summer tires was not good however.
fandawg, glad you made it home without any issues. It only took me 1.5 hours to get from Towne Lake to historic Roswell!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by saw1
Ok, ABSOLUTE KUDOS TO QUATTRO!!!!!!!!!! My ride home in total crap, ice and snow was a breeze. ... While other cars were spinning out and going sideways, the S5 had plenty of grip and minimal to no slip unless I wanted it to.
Maybe when they built your tires, they ignored the existence of laws of physics. Glad you made it safely and had a chance to play and made your car slip as you desired.

If no friction in between the road surface and the tires, even if the vehicle had double Quattro octangular system (I made that one up), it won't move, it won't stop.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rarslan
Maybe when they built your tires, they ignored the existence of laws of physics. Glad you made it safely and had a chance to play and made your car slip as you desired.

If no friction in between the road surface and the tires, even if the vehicle had double Quattro octangular system (I made that one up), it won't move, it won't stop.
Agree with the sentiments. Years ago my brand new 2003 A4 with summer-only Continental tires was able to make it through a Northern Virginia winter. I was not impressed with the traction. When snow was deep I drove my X5 with true snow tires.

Driving in snow and ice on summer-only tires is a gamble. Lets not entice other drivers to risk wrecking their cars, by claiming Quattro is king.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlFEvans
Driving in snow and ice on summer-only tires is a gamble. Lets not entice other drivers to risk wrecking their cars, by claiming Quattro is king.
Yes. I got caught in a mini-blizzard a few years ago in early December before I had fitted the snow tires/wheels. The car is fitted with Pirelli P7s and that was a frightening 10 mile drive. The car just slides when you attempt to brake.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an Audi s5 coupe and live in spokane wa. I'd advice so get a set of snow tires ( I got blizak tires) if you want have better traction. While the Quattro is a great feature in my experience summer tires will provide minimum grip on snow or ice
Old 02-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rarslan

rarslan, I hear you. Keep in mind I was driving very slow, under 25mph, I drove in manual maode the whole way home, never made it out of 2nd gear. As a frame of reference, there was a chrysler 300 in front of me. Most of the time, they were 5-25 degrees angled going up any slight grade. They made it up most of the hills ( then ended up in a ditch on a dowhill turn). My S5 held a straight line going up the same hills, so real world physics trumped theory. With that being said, quattro will not save you if you drive like a fool!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not enjoyed my S5 with summer tires this winter as much as last winter. All the snow, ice, frigid weather and countless potholes has meant using the wife's Q or my PU.

But spring and summer IS A coming and I'll make up for it.

Last edited by lmariorod; 02-11-2014 at 11:56 AM.