Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Buy S5 or RS5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jab23
Or if you want a manual transmission.
Yes, indeed. We have an S4 with a MT. And it is great.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by jab23
Or if you want a manual transmission.
You know, this debate has been going on for a long time now. After having driven manual cars for all of my life and having had the RS5 for over a year, I can confidently say that if you pass on the RS5 because it doesn't have a manual transmission, you are missing out. The RS5 has the kind of engine that begs for the DSG and for the daily grind it makes the car that much more practical.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely wasn't knocking the DSG or trying to open up an old debate. Just pointing out an availability issue between the two models.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:57 AM
jgd
Banned

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
OK, I guess I'll play devil's advocate on this topic.

I ordered a 2015 S5 because it fit the parameters of what I wanted in a new car. Number one, it was a luxury coupe, which are becoming harder to find. It had a V6 instead of the base model A5's 4-banger. The six has plenty of power for me; in fact, I would have picked it even if it didn't have the supercharger. The Quatro drive with the sport diff was a plus, as well as the S tronic auto. I've been driving manuals for two decades and I'm damn tired of shifting in traffic.

It's all about luxury, comfort, and good looks for me...I don't want another 100 horses or a spoiler that deploys at speed. I'm driving hundreds of miles, not a series of quarter-miles. The extra 15 to $20K for the performance-minded RS5 is just a waste to me.

I know most of you will fiercely defend your decision to buy an RS5. I feel just as strongly about buying an S5 and I'm quite happy with my decision.

But I'll still wave to ya when you pass me on the interstate!
This is why so many models and versions and options are available. So we each make our own, hopefully educated decision on what works best for each of us.
I completely understand your rational and it is your money. Okay now, more importantly, what color exterior and interior? any options? Please post pics when you take delivery.

Last edited by jgd; 07-11-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Drove the RS5 (2013 with 20k miles) and an S5 back to back at 8k ft above sea level. Both with DCT. HP performance level is not as exaggerated at 8k ft as at 6k ft...at sea level it must be amazing. But the chasis performance was night and day. RS5 is much better on the twisties which is what I like to drive where I live.

Dealer says he can get a new RS5 by Oct 31, 2014 at the latest. Other dealers are telling me 6-8 months. I will see if they put this in the contract!

Decided on Misano Red Pearl. Carbon fiber inlays. Black interior with Comfort package (air conditioned seats).

Getting just about everything except black optics package...I love the silver RS5 Grill. Also getting Conti DWS all weather tires as this will mainly be a winter car. No ceramic brakes. Stock brakes seem fine to me and you don't have to warm them up like ceramics.

Compared to a Porsche this car is cheaper and more comfortable and practical. (storage and snow clearance)... was looking at a Targa S but was told the wait could be as long as a year. Will be getting $1k loyalty discount on the RS5...waiting to see what else.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 07-12-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Drove the RS5 (2013 with 20k miles) and an S5 back to back at 8k ft above sea level. Both with DCT. HP performance level is not as exaggerated at 8k ft as at 6k ft...at sea level it must be amazing. But the chasis performance was night and day. RS5 is much better on the twisties which is what I like to drive where I live.

Dealer says he can get a new RS5 by Oct 31, 2014 at the latest. Other dealers are telling me 6-8 months. I will see if they put this in the contract!

Decided on Misano Red Pearl. Carbon fiber inlays. Black interior with Comfort package (air conditioned seats).

Getting just about everything except black optics package...I love the silver RS5 Grill. Also getting Conti DWS all weather tires as this will mainly be a winter car. No ceramic brakes. Stock brakes seem fine to me and you don't have to warm them up like ceramics.

Compared to a Porsche this car is cheaper and more comfortable and practical. (storage and snow clearance)... was looking at a Targa S but was told the wait could be as long as a year. Will be getting $1k loyalty discount on the RS5...waiting to see what else.

Best
Compared to Porsche................THAT caught my eye.
With Porsche, you can start out at $85-95 K for the car you decide on THEN by the time you add the things that make it exactly what you want, the car that's YOU............you easily add another $20-30 K.
Those folks are insane with their options............and pricing of same.

Last edited by PeterJay; 07-12-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:42 PM
jgd
Banned

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
2015 S5 Coupe in Sepang Blue
Prestige package
Black Optic package
Luxury package (Chestnut Brown Milano)
Driver Assist package
Adaptive Damping Suspension
Sports Differential
Carbon Atlas Inlays

The salesman offered 7% off MSRP and I'm not even a member of ACNA. I don't qualify for any incentives, but I think it's still a pretty good deal. Ordered mid-May, current ETA is first week of September. The wait is driving me crazy.

Will post pics upon delivery.
nice color combo, the black optic will make the Sepang pop. looking forward to pics.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normally, if you ask this question, I think you will find the S5 to have more 'bang for the buck' if you don't 'track' your car in the racetrack. I have the 2012 S5 V8 with sports differential, and I like it for daily driving and cruising just fine, plus I like the sound of the V8. I do not track the car in the racetrack. The S5 will have a softer ride, which I enjoy during 5 hour - 6 hour out of town drives. If you track your car, get the RS5 or an M3 - harsher ride, more rigid in cornering, but will be harder on your organ for longer drives.

If you ask me whether I'd get an R8 or an RS5, then the RS5 would most likely be my answer. Much more practical with the 4-seater and has the same engine power.

Last edited by ayap; 07-13-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayap
Normally, if you ask this question, I think you will find the S5 to have more 'bang for the buck' if you don't 'track' your car in the racetrack. I have the 2012 S5 V8 with sports differential, and I like it for daily driving and cruising just fine, plus I like the sound of the V8. I do not track the car in the racetrack. The S5 will have a softer ride, which I enjoy during 5 hour - 6 hour out of town drives. If you track your car, get the RS5 or an M3 - harsher ride, more rigid in cornering, but will be harder on your organ for longer drives.

If you ask me whether I'd get an R8 or an RS5, then the RS5 would most likely be my answer. Much more practical with the 4-seater and has the same engine power.
Actually the 2015 RS5 has 450 hp and the R8 has 430.

Best
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

If the R8 and the RS5 have the same V8, why is the hp down in the R8?

Less space = less hp?

Quick Reply: Buy S5 or RS5?