Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 Cabrio vs coupe... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RS5 Cabrio vs coupe... HELP

I am about ready to buy and RS5 but I am can't decide over the cabrio or the coupe. Plan was to get the drop top.. but started to have second thoughts. Would love to hear from those with the Cabrio. Any regrets? Wish you had the coupe? How is the cabriolet with the top up in the winter (I love in Seattle.. it rains every day.. but I love putting the top down when the sun comes out) Struggling a bit with the look of the soft top when it is up, but really no buying the car to look good.

Would also know if anyone has ever fit a bike (road bike) in the trunk of the cabrio with the seats down.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you test driven both?

I own a coupe and have driven the cab and IMO the drive in the cab leaves a bit to be desired (feels heavy and underpowered).
Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I haven't driven the cab.. only the coupe (no cab around here to drive.. need to order one)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're leaning towards the cab I'd highly recommend you drive one before committing to it.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love having a Cabriolet over a Coupe. The roof on the S5/RS5's is very good - quiet for a cab. I live in Chicago and use it year round.

I am almost positive the back seats don't go down if i remember correctly. Traveling and not at home to take a look. It does have a big trunk you can probably fit a road bike if you take the wheels off.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I find the idea of taking an already heavy 2+2 high performance GT coupe and turning it into an even heavier, less rigid structure with even less usable rear seat perplexing, especially if it's driven in a place like Seattle that sees more rain than sunshine. Not to mention the ruined body lines with the top up. The good looking cabs with roof up or down are all roadsters. It's ultimately your decision, but given your doubts I assume the above has crossed your mind as well. The RS5 cab suffers noticeably in the performance department. I think you'll have to be a die hard cab lover to look past that.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I own a 2014 RS5 Coupe, but have driven a 2014 RS5 Cab for 1 day and loved driving it...just a blast!

Admittedly, it was the first time that I had ever driven a Cab in any flavor of car for more than a few hours, but I really enjoyed the experience, and for my style of driving the performance was great.

If I lived in an area where there were lots of sunny days in the year, then the Cab would definitely be a contender for me.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DavidRS4
It does have a big trunk you can probably fit a road bike if you take the wheels off.
Is the trunk on the RS5 cab same size as the S5 cab? I have a S5 and, top up or down, not a lot of room in trunk...

John
Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

personally, I think the coupe is a sexier looking car.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

we just went through this process and have decided that cabs with back seats are not our cup of tea.

RS5 cabs are rare. Dealers have told me they get half the allocations per year as the coupe. I could only find one RS5 in Colorado to drive and I drove it. We also looked at an S5 and an S5 Cab. Cars drove fine. Like the cab feature where you can lower/raise all the windows at once. But the looks just did not appeal as much as the coupe.

we have two cabs (both roadsters) and an S4 sedan and are trading the outback turbo in on the RS5. Just cannot see why we need three cabs. Would have been more tempted perhaps if the RS5 cab was a hardtop cab but not available.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 10-01-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: RS5 Cabrio vs coupe... HELP