Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Aftermarket reverse camera wiring....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket reverse camera wiring....

Does anyone have or know where I can get the wiring diagram for a Concert III? radio? I am seeing if there is a way to tap into the radio to get a signal to an aftermarket reverse camera, it at all possible. Or if there is anyone with other ideas, please help me out here. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jcboiz
Does anyone have or know where I can get the wiring diagram for a Concert III? radio? I am seeing if there is a way to tap into the radio to get a signal to an aftermarket reverse camera, it at all possible. Or if there is anyone with other ideas, please help me out here. Thank you!
IM working on it

youll need this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audi-A4-NAV-Vide...#ht_1591wt_913

Which will also allow you to play any RCA feed (front and rear camera - DVD - whatever)

Plus this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverse-Rear-Vie...#ht_3799wt_913

Im going to give it a shot as soon as I can commit to spending even MORE money on the car.

If you do it before me - good luck - and keep us updated
Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cabriolow
IM working on it

youll need this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audi-A4-NAV-Vide...#ht_1591wt_913

Which will also allow you to play any RCA feed (front and rear camera - DVD - whatever)

Plus this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverse-Rear-Vie...#ht_3799wt_913

Im going to give it a shot as soon as I can commit to spending even MORE money on the car.

If you do it before me - good luck - and keep us updated
Thanks for the reply! Though I did purchase this product and it works pretty well, I still need to get the camera, but just want to see if there is any wiring on the Concert III head unit so I when I put the car in reverse, it will automatically power the camera and flip the screen to my camera.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...3&cat=4&page=1
Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the reply! Though I did purchase this product and it works pretty well, I still need to get the camera, but just want to see if there is any wiring on the Concert III head unit so I when I put the car in reverse, it will automatically power the camera and flip the screen to my camera.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...3&cat=4&page=1
I don't have the unit yet, but I'm assuming there has to be a video trigger on it for the rear camera? Basically, you should be able to hook up a line from the unit to your back up bulb (which trigger when you put the car in reverse) - that's how my rear sensors know how to turn on and off. Putting your car in reverse should trigger the unit to display your backup camera then de-activate in drive.

I'm just guessing here - but I've seen other systems that work on the same principle.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cabriolow
I don't have the unit yet, but I'm assuming there has to be a video trigger on it for the rear camera? Basically, you should be able to hook up a line from the unit to your back up bulb (which trigger when you put the car in reverse) - that's how my rear sensors know how to turn on and off. Putting your car in reverse should trigger the unit to display your backup camera then de-activate in drive.

I'm just guessing here - but I've seen other systems that work on the same principle.
Yea, that was my last ditch effort of just tapping into the rear reverse light. Just trying to figure out maybe there is already a pin out in the back of the Concert III unit so I don't have to run another wire to the back of the car to tap into the reverse light.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yea, that was my last ditch effort of just tapping into the rear reverse light. Just trying to figure out maybe there is already a pin out in the back of the Concert III unit so I don't have to run another wire to the back of the car to tap into the reverse light.
Gotcha - I'm just giving you info you already know. I see what you're trying to do now - If you succeed, please let us know
Old 10-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

I've been down this path with my Q5 (same as A5 & A4-B8) Concert III radio.
There are a couple of things you need to think of here.......

The items listed in Cabriolow's ebay references are not quite going to do it for you:
The first item is "almost" what you want as an interface. You need to specify that you have "Concert" radio - the one that comes up when I click the link expects you to already have the "NAV" or MMI interface, so it won't be the same. Believe me, it won't. JC, I assume that when you say you already have that product then you actually have the one that does fit your concert radio.

Then there is the camera. I bought that one and it doesn't fit!
If you click the ebay link it has expired, but says the seller has re-listed the item. Now look closely at the photo. Note that it has a screw-hole in one end of it. Your car does not have this. There is also an error of a few mm in the size, and it won't fit! The advertised one is for Q7, A4(B7 not B8), & A6. Probably also A3 & TT. But the newer Audi models have a different one. You need one with spring-clips at both ends holding it into place (not the screw-in one) probably like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDI-A4L-A5-CCD-...item3f0185b7ba

As for the issue of wiring up your camera, you need to know two things:
1. You need to power the actual camera from your reversing light wiring, this is quite easy to do as there is a connector with this wire in the compartment in the RHS wall of the trunk of your A5.
2. Almost all reversing cameras now come with an extra wire moulded in the outer sheath of the coax (video) cable that you have to run from the camera forward to the video unit. This is connected to the reversing light wire you used to power the camera, and saves you from having to "find" the reverse signal at the front of the car somewhere.

If you want any more details of exactly what and how to do this, PM me. I have found an alternate video adaptor that INCLUDES a functioning GPS as well as offering reverse camera and DVD interface etc, and I have also found the "right" camera, and sorted out wiring / connection details etc etc...

cheers,
..Neil

Last edited by moonan; 10-10-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The reverse camera signal cable should connect reverse light for one side ,for another side ,which should be connect monitor .But i don't know the about the radio .
Old 07-28-2014, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Did you find the answer?

Anyone found a wire at the front of the car? I used a wireless transmitter to bring the video signal in front so I wouldn't have to run a wire all the way to the front. I suppose there should be a wire to tap in front also because the car is able to tilt my mirror on reverse gear...
Thanks

Originally Posted by moonan
Hi Guys,

The items listed in Cabriolow's ebay references are not quite going to do it for you:
The first item is "almost" what you want as an interface. You need to specify that you have "Concert" radio - the one that comes up when I click the link expects you to already have the "NAV" or MMI interface, so it won't be the same. Believe me, it won't. JC, I assume that when you say you already have that product then you actually have the one that does fit your concert radio.

If you click the ebay link it has expired, but says the seller has re-listed the item. Now look closely at the photo. Note that it has a screw-hole in one end of it. Your car does not have this. There is also an error of a few mm in the size, and it won't fit! The advertised one is for Q7, A4(B7 not B8), & A6. Probably also A3 & TT. But the newer Audi models have a different one. You need one with spring-clips at both ends holding it into place (not the screw-in one) probably like this one:
Audi A4L A5 CCD NTSC Car Rear View Backup Camera | eBay

1. You need to power the actual camera from your reversing light wiring, this is quite easy to do as there is a connector with this wire in the compartment in the RHS wall of the trunk of your A5.
2. Almost all reversing cameras now come with an extra wire moulded in the outer sheath of the coax (video) cable that you have to run from the camera forward to the video unit. This is connected to the reversing light wire you used to power the camera, and saves you from having to "find" the reverse signal at the front of the car somewhere.

If you want any more details of exactly what and how to do this, PM me. I have found an alternate video adaptor that INCLUDES a functioning GPS as well as offering reverse camera and DVD interface etc, and I have also found the "right" camera, and sorted out wiring / connection details etc etc...

cheers,
..Neil
Old 08-17-2015, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket reverse camera wiring

Originally Posted by moonan
Hi Guys,

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDI-A4L-A5-CCD-...item3f0185b7ba

cheers,
..Neil
Hello Neil, I have recently seen your forum and wonder if you could let me know the Color or pin number for me to tie in the back up camera power line to the reverse tail light 12v line for 2011Audi Q5 and please send me the detail of wiring.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket reverse camera wiring....