Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2014 A5 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 A5 Cab

I just purchased my first Audi and am wondering if others have experienced the same noise on morning start. Brand new A5 cab off show room floor.

On morning starts it makes a vacuum noise which turns into a roaring noise when putting in reverse to leave garage. It dissipates after a couple of minutes, however, is so loud that it doesn't seem normal. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced a breather valve. Once home it made the same noise the following morning and each morning since. I leave it parked all day and would think that it would make the same noise in the evening when I start but it doesn't. The dealer told me he spoke with Audi USA and they suggested it could be the walls from my garage magnifying he noise. I laughed at him. They just came and picked the car up to run a full check on it. If this is what they are calling normal, then why would they have replaced a breather valve to begin with? Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shularoo
I just purchased my first Audi and am wondering if others have experienced the same noise on morning start. Brand new A5 cab off show room floor.

On morning starts it makes a vacuum noise which turns into a roaring noise when putting in reverse to leave garage. It dissipates after a couple of minutes, however, is so loud that it doesn't seem normal. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced a breather valve. Once home it made the same noise the following morning and each morning since. I leave it parked all day and would think that it would make the same noise in the evening when I start but it doesn't. The dealer told me he spoke with Audi USA and they suggested it could be the walls from my garage magnifying he noise. I laughed at him. They just came and picked the car up to run a full check on it. If this is what they are calling normal, then why would they have replaced a breather valve to begin with? Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.
I have a 14 A5 Cab, and when I start my car first thing in morning, I can hear a vibration, I also only hear it in my garage, and it does sound like its vibrating off the walls, but there is a noise there which doesnt seem like it belong there. Its really hard to describe and identify where its coming from, but I def know its there. Ive just been waiting for a light to come on, so I know what it is.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Much ado about nothing

This is much ado about nothing IMO, and here's why:

5 years ago our garage kept 3.2 Q5 made a similar loud noise at start-up. The walls in a one car garage can intensify the noise as well as possibly the soft top of a cab.

The noise quickly became a non-issue for us because the noise would go away within 45 seconds and the RPM's would drop noticeably below 1k and the Q would run smoothly. Somewhat similar to the old carb./choke to regulate fuel/air mixture.

Fast forward to today, the 3.0 is in the garage with that similar noise at start-up. Again going away at approx. 30 seconds (warmer weather) and RPM's dropping to <1k and running silky smooth thereafter.

This is SOP for a cold start engine. And although it's probably the 2.0 in the A5 Cab, it probably runs across the Audi line but the noise is louder in an enclosed garage and possibly different insulation of the soft top cab.

In fact, if I didn't hear that noise and subsequent drop of RPM, I'd worry of a pending CEL.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the information. I am hoping that's the case. It's a 2 car garage and usually started with the top down. As stated, the roar does go away by the time I hit the street.

Appreciate your opinion.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I also have a 2014 A5 Cab

I hear the same loud engine at start up in the garage. It does go away shortly after moving.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just bought a 2014 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro. Currently has 800 miles. It does not make that noise. My previous car was a 2013 Audi A5 2.0T Quattro. Also did not make that noise. I have my car in a one car garage and I would be able to hear anything out of the ordinary.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I hear no vibration in the garage, but a little later.

First, I don't back out of my garage. I back into my garage to park and roll forwards first thing in the morning. I "hear" and feel a vibration when I get to a stop sign that is about 30 ft after my drive way. I feel the vibration through the gas pedal for about a second and then it goes away. Cars get cold and behave differently. I really don't think anything about it anymore, but I think it does it when its warm as well. Lots of tech in these cars. Just know that you spent your hard earned money on a beautiful machine. I'll never be happy if I let everything get to me. IMO, I can say that I am driving one of the most beautiful cars on the road, and that I feel blessed for being able to do so. I have never had an Audi or a VW leave me on the side of the road waiting for a wrecker (knock on wood).
Old 08-18-2014, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Make sure you're letting the car warm up to the point where the revs drop before driving off. The car can act funny if you try to drive it off too cold.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Let the car warm up until the point the revs drop. It won't make this noise. You're trying to drive the car too cold. It only takes about a minute.