Audi a5 b8.5 keyless start engine help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi a5 b8.5 keyless start engine help

hi sorry if i have posted in the wrong place im new to this.
i have a: Audi a5 2.0 tdi quattro sportsback 2015 mmi 3g+ uk right hand drive

i want to add keyless start not to get confused with keyless entry. i want to retrofit the start button in to my centre console and wire it up but i am confused were to start. there is a ton of options on ali for this but i dont trust them and want to stick to oem way. what would i need to make this happen. apricate all the help.
i have added some pictures dont know if they are of any help but from the stuff i have read its got something to do with the bcm2 or is that for keyless entry?

from the video i attached (sorry for the quality) i cant see any pins in the bcm2 module but will that matter for the keyless start engine ? also will the push to start engine need to be coded ?

my centre console at the moment until i get a new housing for the push start button

the bcm2 module says 868mhz not sure if this matters
Attached Thumbnails Audi a5 b8.5 keyless start engine help-whatsapp-image-2024-04-18-20.19.57_04603831.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 04-18-2024, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,892 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Keyless operations require the keyless aerials, and those connect to the "third" 32-pin on the J393. As does the E408 start button. So whether or not you have the door handle sensors for keyless entry, you still need the high line J393 for either keyless function. The frequency on the J393 is for the key fob interaction. So you'll need one of the same frequency. When you look at your J393, there's the RF connection for the key fob roof aerial. Then a 32-pin plug. Then the "3rd" 32-pin plug, which probably has nothing in it right now. But are there at least pins in that socket? On the "other side" is the two 17-pins and the other 32-pin.

So you'd need the E408 start button, the version of the B8.5 center console panel that supports the E408 button and MMI, the high line version of the J393, and then the three aerials. The J393 is the immobilizer master, so you're going to have to get it adapted by a dealership or shop that can do that level of operation. Afterwards, I'd do the coding changes to enable keyless.

There are writeups on retrofitting the advanced key feature (aka keyless start + keyless entry). You're only difference would be to leave out the door handle sensors and the coding related to the entry function.
The following users liked this post:
boxaaz11 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Keyless operations require the keyless aerials, and those connect to the "third" 32-pin on the J393. As does the E408 start button. So whether or not you have the door handle sensors for keyless entry, you still need the high line J393 for either keyless function. The frequency on the J393 is for the key fob interaction. So you'll need one of the same frequency. When you look at your J393, there's the RF connection for the key fob roof aerial. Then a 32-pin plug. Then the "3rd" 32-pin plug, which probably has nothing in it right now. But are there at least pins in that socket? On the "other side" is the two 17-pins and the other 32-pin.

So you'd need the E408 start button, the version of the B8.5 center console panel that supports the E408 button and MMI, the high line version of the J393, and then the three aerials. The J393 is the immobilizer master, so you're going to have to get it adapted by a dealership or shop that can do that level of operation. Afterwards, I'd do the coding changes to enable keyless.

There are writeups on retrofitting the advanced key feature (aka keyless start + keyless entry). You're only difference would be to leave out the door handle sensors and the coding related to the entry function.
hi thanks for the quick reply when you say (J393) do you mean the bcm2 module? the image i have uploaded below? also that is not my module. i was having trouble removing mine from the bracket today so i will do it in the morning tomorrow and upload the pictures to this as i cant tell if there are any pins in the top left of the picture below. with my car i think it already has the door handle sensors because it has them little rectangle square cut out things in my door handles but i dont have advance key for keyless go. and what do you mean by getting the j393 adapted by the dealership?

do you mean if mine aint got the pins then i need a new one and need it coded by dealer?

Old 04-19-2024, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,892 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Yes, the J393 is aka BCM2. All the door handles have the impression. Doesn't mean they have the sensor insert. In the pic, the advanced key stuff goes to the upper left 32-pin. There are versions with no pins there. That's also the plug that handles the power tailgate stuff. So if you have a power tailgate, you probably already have a plug there. Simple enough to look up, but have to know the actual p/n on yours. Either from the face of it, or from a VCDS scan.

The J393 is the immobilizer master. Replace it with another, and nothing in your car is going to work since that new J393 does not know about your key fobs. The immobilizer adaptation updates that key info, as well as the info of the other immobilizer group participants (ECM, TCM, etc).
The following users liked this post:
boxaaz11 (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Yes, the J393 is aka BCM2. All the door handles have the impression. Doesn't mean they have the sensor insert. In the pic, the advanced key stuff goes to the upper left 32-pin. There are versions with no pins there. That's also the plug that handles the power tailgate stuff. So if you have a power tailgate, you probably already have a plug there. Simple enough to look up, but have to know the actual p/n on yours. Either from the face of it, or from a VCDS scan.

The J393 is the immobilizer master. Replace it with another, and nothing in your car is going to work since that new J393 does not know about your key fobs. The immobilizer adaptation updates that key info, as well as the info of the other immobilizer group participants (ECM, TCM, etc).

hi thank you for your quick reply i have a finally got around to taking out the bcm2 module it seems like i dont have any pins in the place i would need them its just a empty slot, i did however take off the back of the case to show the motherboard to the module and it has the solder points on the board were the pins would be, so i had a little theory if i was to get another board with the points solder the module off and stick it on to my own motherboard for the j393 would that save me from getting the module adapted via audi then i can just get a set of keys myself and code them to work with the module i already have? i have taken pics of the module just not the motherboard i might do a comparison later to see the difference between a board that has the pins and see if its

if this works out i guess i could save myself a lot of money from audi lol
Old Today, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

ok update for anyone wanting the start engine button but dont wont to go down the route of bcm2 module messing about i got this link to a page they sell the button and give installation guide only downside is you have to have the key in the ignition for the immobiliser to recgonise it, so insert the key but dont push and then u cn use the start button to switch engine off and on, Start/stop button (carat-garage.de)