Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Trunk Space and interior size

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Space and interior size

I'm looking at the A3 as a new "family" car. I'm trying to justify it to the wife as a "station wagon" so I'm wondering if there is a good amount of trunk space (room for golf clubs or baby stroller) and back seat space (child seat)
Help me not get a subaru outback...
Old 09-07-2005, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default What has been hauled thus far...

Dude, with the seats folded down yesterday, I put a Lawn Mower and a large television stand inside the back.

The other day, I tightly fit a twin mattress and boxspring; albeit, the bed was sticking out a little (maybe a foot or two) and the door needed to be bungee'd. But it worked. And still drove like a dream.

That should help a bit.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dog hauler

My A3 is ridiculously fun to drive, looks great inside and out, gets almost 30mpg when I want it to, and has the ability to haul around two large dogs (as well as other things) with the rear seats folded down. The Subaru Outback can haul dogs.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Dog hauler

Yeah the subaru hauls dogs very well... I'm hoping to haul without having to put the seats down on the A3. HOw is the trunk size...seats up?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Dog hauler

My guess is that you could fit a big stroller in the back without folding the seats down, but it might not leave much room for another large item.

I've been carrying a large duffel, youth shoulder pads and football helmet, and a big folding chair in the back of my A3 about a month. $150 worth of groceries can still fit in an around these things.

Check out the other post showing two, full-size golf bags in the back of an A3.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/30882.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/30882.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 09-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Plenty of room for car seats, stroller, diaper bag, toys . . .

My daughter has long outgrown her car seat, (now 15 yrs. old) but there is plenty of room for two car seats, stroller, diaper bag &amp; all of the stuff you end up carting around with kids. We've had our daughter and her friend in the back seat, with sleeping bags, pillows, large overnight bags in the trunk with room to spare.
I show dogs and with the back seat down, can fit two medium size dog crates, crate dolly, grooming table, a freestanding canopy and other assorted items, along with my daughter in the front seat.
I've had a Subaru -- it was the worse vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Trunk Space and interior size

I've been searching for the right family car since I traded my TT in 2001, when our first was born. From the TT, went to Jetta GLX. I loved it, but when the second baby came along 2 years later, there wasn't enough back seat room for a backwards facing car seat and a forward facing car seat and my 6'2" husband in the front. We traded that in for a Passat. Since the day I bought the Passat, I've been looking for a better car for our needs; the Passat being too big, and too soft and too bland for me.
I had always said that if the A3 ever came to the States, I wanted one. I wasn't able to find the one I wanted until July 1 (which is a rant for another day); a day hasn't gone by that I don't drive with a smile on my face. I love this car.
However...
Forget about fitting a double stroller in the hatch. A single stroller takes up a lot of the floor space, and while you can pile things on top of it, you would have to then take them all out to reach the stroller. I think the back seat has more than enough room for my 2 forward facing car seats, but you'd have to bring a rear-facing with you to test drive the car, as I find these car seats are a tough fit if you don't use the center seat.
I love the car, though. It's great because I can reach my kids, and the rear center armrest/console makes a great toy holder. The kids love "their sunroof". Not to mention the handling is great. I love having a six speed ( and when I drive our 98 GTi VR6, I find myself trying to shift to 6th). I think this is a great family car, especially if small cars are your thing (I'd rather drive a full blown station wagon than an SUV or minivan).