Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

READ: A3 Transmission Issue - Skipping gears, Clunking noise, Hesitating

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default READ: A3 Transmission Issue - Skipping gears, Clunking noise, Hesitating

If your Audi A3 is hesitating when accelerating, skipping gears, or making a clunking noise, you may have a fault transmission or a bad mechatronic control unit. I have a 08 A3, and I have this issue. They part is on backorder (I wonder why!!!).

Take your car to the nearest Audi dealership and report this issue before your warranty expires.

POST to to this thread if you have this issue. See these other threads for people with similar issues: http://audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1107715 and http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4230923AAq2UsZ.

Audi is a real junk. I would never buy this car again. Audi should pay for their negligence... not sure why they haven't issued a recall for such a know issue.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I assume this is a DSG only issue?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, mine is an automatic
Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've only had one incident with my DSG since new purchas of my 1009 A3 last December. I was on a long upward grade on the freeway at about 65 mph and the DSG seemed to slip out of gear for about 2 seconds. The RPMs zoomed up about 2K and then the DSH re-engaged. I think I saw the dashboard display blink but I'm not sure - it all happened quickly.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I get the occasional "clank" when coming to a stop or sometimes when downshifting, but no lights, no loss of power.

It sounds more like an engagement clank if that makes any sense. There's no grind, it's the sound of a motor that tried to move once and failed and now it's repositioning to try again. I'll try to get a sound byte... that'll take a while but I'll try.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry you are having problems with your DSG. But OP, based on your sig, it doesn't appear you've been a member here long enough to see how few problems there really are statistically with this tranny. Forums tend to give the impression of a disproportionate number of problems based on the fact that very few people chime in and say "yay, no problems here!". By their very nature, forums tend to draw a majority of people with problems looking for resolution. That said, 2007 A3 S-line DSG with 43K miles, chipped for 41K of them. 0 transmission issues or odd shifting.

I hope you get your problem addressed, but to scare people as if this is a massive systemic problem is unfair.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Massive systemic problem? Not by a long shot, but it is significant now:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4491208

And not having been a member, registering under an insulting name and talking sh*t about Audi while obviously in a bad mood probably wasn't the best move for gleaning information or getting help here. However, the link I included here will help you forward your knowledge of the small but now significant situation.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, I didn't know others were having the same issues. I just dropped my A3 off at the dealer to investigate the clunk when 3-2 and 2-1 downshifting, as well as a single instance of slipping out of gear at speed.

I hope they find the problem. I'm glad to hear this is becoming a known issue.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is there an Audi TSB out on this issue yet? Anybody got a copy?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Well, here is my issue and a copy of my complaint filed with the NHTSA.

I have a 2006 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro with the DSG Transmission. I was driving home from my 45K mile service(the last one before it goes out of warrantee). I was doing about 45-50 MPH going thru the Sunpass express lane. I lifted off of the throttle for a second and then, when I went back to the gas, NO DRIVE, No Gears. The rpms shot up to around 7500 RPM's and the gear indicator screen lights (P,R,N,D,S) were flashing and I had to pull off of to the shoulder. And trying to pull over with no drive on the Palmetto Expressway in Miami almost got me into 2 different accidents. I tried to select reverse then drive and sport mode on the shifter, NOTHING, screen still flashing and the car would not move. I called my dealer and he told me to call Audi Road Service and have it flat bedded back to them. About 15 minutes after the occurance, I turned the car off and back on and It now was able to select a gear and the flashing stopped. I drove it very delicately back to the dealer and was awaiting a diagnosis. They said they are replacing the falty Transmission Control/Mechatronics Unit. This happened on 7/24 and I am still waiting on the new part to come in.
I want to report this because, it has come to my attention that I am not the only person to experience this failure on an Audi or Volkswagon car using the DSG or S-Tronic gearbox.I want this to be documented in case something happens. I'm also worried that my car is just about to come out of the warrantee period and, if I have this failure again, it could cost me thousands of my own dollars to have it fixed.

Quick Reply: READ: A3 Transmission Issue - Skipping gears, Clunking noise, Hesitating