Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

To purchase or not to Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To purchase or not to Purchase

I had a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T and loved it...drove it for 10 years, sold it with over 250K on it still running. (did of course have to replace the turbo about every 90K ish. Anyway due to remarrage and children I bought a Volvo XC90, now the kids are gone I am looking at a 2011 Audi A3 TDI it will be used as a daily driver...any thoughts. Everybody love theirs?? Give it to me strait...
Old 07-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have any experience with the TDI but I picked up a 40K mile CPO 2011 2.0T Titanium in January and absolutely love the car. Having been through a S4 Avant and R8, I can tell you the A3 is small but it's very easy to live with on a daily basis. It's the right sized car as far as I'm concerned. I have the service history since new and the only problematic issue has been the coolant pump. This car has been through 3 pumps - all started leaking coolant.

Audi will be bringing the A3 back to the US in TDI and E-Tron form in 2015. This car will be based on the new, slightly larger chassis and I 'm seriously considering an upgrade at the time. Trouble is, which one to choose!

Good luck with your decision !

Scott

Originally Posted by dartdawg
I had a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T and loved it...drove it for 10 years, sold it with over 250K on it still running. (did of course have to replace the turbo about every 90K ish. Anyway due to remarrage and children I bought a Volvo XC90, now the kids are gone I am looking at a 2011 Audi A3 TDI it will be used as a daily driver...any thoughts. Everybody love theirs?? Give it to me strait...
Old 07-27-2014, 04:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So no one on this forum has an A3 TDI???
Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2010 a3 tdi s line with 97k on the clock... These cars are great! The transmission engagement and brake operation on these take just a little getting used to.(You will see what I mean) They get up to speed quickly and tourque is amazing on hills and mountain drives!! The s line is the one to get as handling is superb! No negative things for me to post. As all Audi cars take care of em' and they will take care of you' I am considering selling my 2002 s6 avant to buy another one of these. Its hard to beat the 40 plus per gallon hi-way and great performance all around on the a3 tdi s line!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 07-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks so much...was hoping to hear from an owner prior to buying. The one I am looking at is an S-Line and has all options except the pano roof. Very excited to pick it up now. Thanks again
Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Regarding the Pano roof. Nice idea but, if you live in an area similar to the latitudes of Arizona and Southern CA, the cabin becomes very bright and warm in mid-day sun. So much so, I usually need to wear a hat while driving! I would definitely prefer to delete this option with my 2015 TDI - and add the cold weather pkg. (Only option mine doesn't have).
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2010 a3 tdi s line does not have the pano roof either, All the info I did to decide on pano or not to pano? A) It does ad some extra weight to the car and I feel it may make the cabin much hotter as I am in a hotter climate and many sunny days, B) I feel the pano delete makes for a more rigid car and no possible flex when driving hard corners, C) I rarely use my roof feature in my s6 or in the Passat grocery getter (Passat leaks and makes wind noise!) D) I mention a leak on Passat sunroof, I feel that a pano is a great option for some who will use it but I wouldn't and with time who knows how seals will be over the longer term say 10 years and beyond, they are very well put together with the seals and mechanical features but I still prefer to have metal over my head than glass!???
Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by soteric6
My 2010 a3 tdi s line does not have the pano roof either, All the info I did to decide on pano or not to pano? A) It does ad some extra weight to the car and I feel it may make the cabin much hotter as I am in a hotter climate and many sunny days, B) I feel the pano delete makes for a more rigid car and no possible flex when driving hard corners, C) I rarely use my roof feature in my s6 or in the Passat grocery getter (Passat leaks and makes wind noise!) D) I mention a leak on Passat sunroof, I feel that a pano is a great option for some who will use it but I wouldn't and with time who knows how seals will be over the longer term say 10 years and beyond, they are very well put together with the seals and mechanical features but I still prefer to have metal over my head than glass!???
+1 on that!