Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKIII Discussion forum for the 2022 and up Audi A3, S3 and RS3

RS# intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Puki777
I want an ugly tube because I will wrap it with a heat shield anyway. These cars have terrible airflow, the engine bay is so compact heat soak is crazy. I let my car sit on a parking lot for ~20min, come back and intake temps are 135+. After driving for 10-15min air temps are still well over 105-115, outside is 75.
I suppose if the car will be a show car then Eventuri or similar carbon fiber intake will look more beautiful for sure. For functionality I would wrap to keep radiant and convection heat away as much as possible.
Heat wrap on an intake tube pre-turbo isn't going to do much in the grand scheme of things lol. An intercooler is what's needed to deal with heat issues.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdamSheikh
Heat wrap on an intake tube pre-turbo isn't going to do much in the grand scheme of things lol. An intercooler is what's needed to deal with heat issues.
An intercooler is one of thermal management components. You never seen a "hot air intake", why would I not keep heat out of charged air going in? Intergrated engineering intake actually comes with a heat shield, probably because the coupler sits right above the turbine that can generate over 1000F specially if you are pushing stock turbo over 25psi. Also if you look inside engine bay the intake pipe sits in the hottest part of the car with no ports for air exchange. I don't have temperature data logs but maybe I should take some for personal curiosity to try and understand what under the hood temperatures really look like during normal operation and hard driving.
So on a "grand scheme of things", I can wrap all pipes including the turbine and part of downpipe to manage heat under 2k that you pay for a fancy looking intake, but to each its own.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

With a turbo car the compression of the intake air is what generates a TON of heat. This is why a large surface area intercooler that gets fresh air directed to it is so important. You could have air going in the intake pipe that's cool as can be, but if you're hitting a lot of boost and that intercooler gets too hot, anything you're doing on the intake side isnt going to matter in the least bit. It's ALL a big system and cold dense air is needed, but the best "bang for your bucks" is going to be cooling the intake air POST turbo.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSheikh (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Puki777
An intercooler is one of thermal management components. You never seen a "hot air intake", why would I not keep heat out of charged air going in? Intergrated engineering intake actually comes with a heat shield, probably because the coupler sits right above the turbine that can generate over 1000F specially if you are pushing stock turbo over 25psi. Also if you look inside engine bay the intake pipe sits in the hottest part of the car with no ports for air exchange. I don't have temperature data logs but maybe I should take some for personal curiosity to try and understand what under the hood temperatures really look like during normal operation and hard driving.
So on a "grand scheme of things", I can wrap all pipes including the turbine and part of downpipe to manage heat under 2k that you pay for a fancy looking intake, but to each its own.
Eventuri also utilizes a heatshield below the upper/main tube - it has gold foil tape on the underside as well to deflect heat coming from the turbo. The front scoop is also considerably larger and taller, allowing for more fresh air to come in. But again, the air being sucked in pre-turbo is still going to be heated up considerably by nature of being compressed. Not sure a few degrees difference pre-turbo and IC will really make much of a tangible difference overall. Aftermarket intakes are more about volume and flow of air.

In any case, to each their own indeed. Speaking from experience on the RS3 and my GTI, Eventuri makes quality parts backed by some pretty sound engineering - they're not just about looking fancy, though they do that well too.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdamSheikh
Eventuri also utilizes a heatshield below the upper/main tube - it has gold foil tape on the underside as well to deflect heat coming from the turbo. The front scoop is also considerably larger and taller, allowing for more fresh air to come in. But again, the air being sucked in pre-turbo is still going to be heated up considerably by nature of being compressed. Not sure a few degrees difference pre-turbo and IC will really make much of a tangible difference overall. Aftermarket intakes are more about volume and flow of air.

In any case, to each their own indeed. Speaking from experience on the RS3 and my GTI, Eventuri makes quality parts backed by some pretty sound engineering - they're not just about looking fancy, though they do that well too.
i agree , eventuri is one sexy pipe!! I will probably end up buying after I install this intercooler. I just hope the ic is not going to condense liquid considering its size in certain conditions

Old 05-01-2024, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been considering the Integrated Engineering version, which comes at about $700-$800 cheaper than Eventuri, and has a similar look. However, some people note that there is a knocking sound against a reservoir pipe at low RPM idles, which goes away when accelerating.