Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKIII Discussion forum for the 2022 and up Audi A3, S3 and RS3

New S3 spy shot

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New S3 spy shot

Well, not sure if this is news worthy or not, but spotted this S3 (?) yesterday. Audi has a high-altitude emissions lab near my house.

The following users liked this post:
AdamSheikh (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by E30_987
Well, not sure if this is news worthy or not, but spotted this S3 (?) yesterday. Audi has a high-altitude emissions lab near my house.

That rear bumper trim is… something. And people complain about the current RS3 rear bumper treatment lol.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 885 Likes on 724 Posts

The rear bumper treatment is a bit wild.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Someone said they look like little arrows reminding you where the exhaust tips are and I crack up a little every time I see it.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like fish scales to me tbh.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The look of the rear is a bit, "This wasn't necessary nor needed."
Still, it doesn't bother me at all.

However, the new front grill, mmmm....not needed at all, not at all.

I'm looking to get a new car to replace my 2018 S4.
I want something smaller this time, so the S3 is right at the top of my shopping list.

The thing I need to decide on is whether to go with a 2024 S3 or order a new 2025 S3.
The upgraded power of the 2025 is not, but that aspect doesn't mean much to me when comparing the two.

What I do find more to my liking is that Audi "CLAIMS" the 2025 will have improved steering feel, and that they programmed the engine control and response to be smoother, to address the complaints of the 2024 model and older about too much lag at low rpm and higher gear,
and some not so linear throttle response from the engine.
I only have very little personal experience with the 2018 S3, as I test drove a good number of them along with the S4.
I do recall that throttle response was not as crisp as it is in the S4, and there could be some lag, but only if you're in too high of a gear for the engine RPM.
If one is more experienced with proper gear and engine RPM, then you do have manual gear selection control, and should not experience that very often.

Still, my S4 has response oddities as well, and that is the major thing that has really ticked me off about it.
Initial reviews and tests of the then new 2018 S4, all raved about how great the sport AT was, and how responsive and intuitive it is, working wonderfully and harmoniously with the engine and responsive.
Oh yeah, really?
Then something truly and really f'd up happened from those initial batches of S4 tests cars, that were sent to reviewers and testers in automotive publications.
Why?

I tested about 6 S4s to see if I found one that I liked better than others.
They were all quite very consistent in performance and feel.
That is a very good thing as it shows that Audi builds their cars quite consistently.

The problem is that a seriously lazy to downshift sport AT S4, along with an equally lazy to respond throttle, is a consistently BAD aspect of that, at least, those early for sale production S4s.
Still, I decided at that time that I could learn to adapt to that sucky quirk, and perhaps the S4's ECU with also adapt to me and we would later, somehow, bond.
The bonding I wanted and expected didn't quite live up to my wish.
The 3.0 V6 turbo is one very damn nice and smooth engine, with a great flat and wide powerband.
However, the overall driving experience suffers greatly because Audi very badly, very poorly, tuned the AT to that engine, and they also failed in programming the drive by wire throttle to tickle or kick that wonderful engine into a close and happy relationship.

Overall, I like, liked, my S4. It rides very smoothly. It's is rock solid and planted on the road, and it eats up highways at well over 100mph feeling extremely planted and confident to do that all day.
AT 45,000 miles and nearly 6 years, I'm looking for a new relationship to revive my driving enthusiasm.

That is why I am looking at a new S3.
I am also considering a new A4, as that 2.0T with the DCT is so amazingly more responsive and is another world smoother shifting up and down in comparison to my S4.
Overall, the new, to me, A4 feels as solid and planted as my S4.

Back to the S3. I have a couple of tests scheduled for some S3s.
No 2025 S3s in the Chicago area yet.
And if memory serves me well, the 2025 models won't start showing up until August sometime, or even a couple months later.
So, I won't be able to test drive and compare.
The deals on 2024 S3s are looking pretty good, as the new 2025 model is only about 4 months away.

If anyone here can offer their experience, view, opinion, insight, please do.
I will appreciate it.

Old 05-01-2024, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

If you wait too long you will find the 2024s will disappear quickly. The dealers don't want them around and when those real good deals start to come around they go to friends and family of the dealership employees.
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
If you wait too long you will find the 2024s will disappear quickly. The dealers don't want them around and when those real good deals start to come around they go to friends and family of the dealership employees.
Yes.

Right now in the Chicago area market there are quite a few S3 available, and yes, the pricing is very, very good on them.

Ordering the new 2025 S3 does not include the $4000 incentive/rebate from Audi, because of course Audi wants to move the remaining 2024 stock.

Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 119 Posts

The refreshed S3 is a little more interesting than the (presumed) upcoming refreshed RS3. New S3 gets a power bump and the torque splitter, along with revised suspension tuning etc. Styling aside, it should be a noticeable improvement over the outgoing model. All that said, I don't think I'll ever be sold on the new styling, especially the new nose/face.
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AdamSheikh
The refreshed S3 is a little more interesting than the (presumed) upcoming refreshed RS3. New S3 gets a power bump and the torque splitter, along with revised suspension tuning etc. Styling aside, it should be a noticeable improvement over the outgoing model. All that said, I don't think I'll ever be sold on the new styling, especially the new nose/face.
True.

For me the power bump is minor as there is already plenty of power in the current S3.
Having a touch more is nice, cause you know, MORE HP.
But, I agree, the things that really got my attention, and why I'm considering ordering a new 2025 are the overall performance enhancements such better throttle response from revised engine control to better limit low rpm, high gear, lag, as well as how the power curve and output work with the transmission.
Still, there isn't much information about if Audi actually did improve the areas they say they did for the actual production S3.

As I posted in an earlier post, for the new at the time, 2018 S4, all of the reviews raved about how awesome the S4 V6 turbo worked the new ZF 8spd AT, and how responsive and quick to react the overall drivetrain was.
And then came the actual production S4s, and the early press-model S4 proved to be anomolies.
Obviously Audi can do, but for whatever reason they didn't when it came to the actual production models.

That part is the WORST aspect of my 2018 S4. Audi failed badly with how they got the engines great power curve to work not so well with the ZF sport AT.
I had the same ZF AT in two BMW 3 series before I bought my S4.
I had a 2012 335i Msport and a 2015 340i Msport.
BMW did an excellent job getting that trans to work beautifully with their engines.
They did such an excellent job that I finally left behind my love and demand of an MT, and went with these sweet modern ATs.

Audi's DCT works so, so much better, smoother, and responsively in the 2.0T A4 and the A3 and S3.
That's a big reason for as to why I want an S3, and if not, then a new A4 2.0T with the DCT.

I do like the current S3 styling overall. The new one is nice, but I too am a bit put off by the front end.
The rear doesn't bother me at all really.
I think I'll be happy with either model.
Given the awesome pricing for the outgoing S3, it's hard to pass up.

Last edited by TT-S4; Yesterday at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: New S3 spy shot