Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Sway bars and other suspension components

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

salvadorik: Not meaning to change the subject but I have a question about something in your signature. I'm getting a clear bra next Monday along with the windows tinted all around. 50% is legal in Ohio. You have 50% fronts and 5% rear. Why the difference between front and rear? Am I missing something?

Back to subject; I feel a bit of wheel hop on really uneven roads but no bounce. And I run in dynamic mode for the suspension at all times.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
salvadorik: Not meaning to change the subject but I have a question about something in your signature. I'm getting a clear bra next Monday along with the windows tinted all around. 50% is legal in Ohio. You have 50% fronts and 5% rear. Why the difference between front and rear? Am I missing something?

Back to subject; I feel a bit of wheel hop on really uneven roads but no bounce. And I run in dynamic mode for the suspension at all times.
Good question. There is a reason for that. Here in California it is illegal to have any tint on the front side. Rear side you can tint however much you want. The reason number one - i love dark tint (the darker the better). Number two - 5/50 will give you a good contrast between rear and front thus it sort of informs the officers than only the rear is tinted. I hope it makes sense.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going 20% all around Can't stand anything more than 35%+
Thank God no specific tint laws here...(used to be 35% but now it's subjective)
Old 03-11-2015, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Many OEMs ride tune specifically in CA due to the different road conditions there. The highways get beaten into a washboard. So salvadorik may find it bouncy, when someone else in GA doesn't because of what he travels on, ona regular basis.

Roads change from state to state based on construction method, weather, truck regulations, and of course, age. Here in Seattle, the old roads get a rough texture and the ride noise is worse here. In Michigan you get broken concrete with stupid asphalt patch jobs that take round wheels and make them into polygons. In SC, the roads seem to be perfect, where in AZ or TX you get heat expansion speed bumps. In FL, well, who wants to drive there?

Personally, I think the Magneride does an acceptable job, but completely looses it over speed bumps, or backing out of the driveway. They have a gap in the algorithm for total axle heave it seems. Regular dampers would be better coming off of the speed bumps. I wonder if there will be an opportunity to update software on the suspension at some point? Maybe get the RS3 tuning eventually?
H&R needs to hire some software programmers
Old 03-11-2015, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by easymacgyver
In FL, well, who wants to drive there?
Driving is great here...outside of the bugs the size of birds, heat, humidity, torrential downpours, salt air. ...
Mag - ride, Florida roads and V1 let me see triple digits on a regular basis (closed course of course!) in the S3. Entrance ramps and cloverleafs are our "canyon" roads. This car meets the challenge everyday.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Good question. There is a reason for that. Here in California it is illegal to have any tint on the front side. Rear side you can tint however much you want. The reason number one - i love dark tint (the darker the better). Number two - 5/50 will give you a good contrast between rear and front thus it sort of informs the officers than only the rear is tinted. I hope it makes sense.
That makes perfect sense! And I totally understand! 5% is like limo dark then. LOL. We don't have the same amount of sun here in Ohio either of course. I going to be a bit more subtle in my tint and make it the same all around at 50%. That should be sufficient for me. I'm already running without a front plate and don't need to give the police anymore reason to question me. Granted if they clock me on some of the empty back roads around here, window tint will be the least of my worries.........
Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the body roll (in the rear), IMO, is borderline dangerous at upper highway speeds. I am also wondering if the Daytona Suspension is different than the the standard S3.

OR… maybe I just drive too fast into turns

H&R rear sway are def in my future.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Triple digits would be great, in terms of speed. And yes, I always get the road closed....
Any time I've been there however, I get stuck behind those that are triple digits in age.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I think the body roll (in the rear), IMO, is borderline dangerous at upper highway speeds. I am also wondering if the Daytona Suspension is different than the the standard S3.

OR… maybe I just drive too fast into turns

H&R rear sway are def in my future.
I got H&R RSB installed. It made a significant improvement in body roll. I think it is a must have mod for anyone who bought an S3. I will however go further and have the front bar installed as well. This car needs to be stiffer. If I could I would proceed with braces and strut bars etc to further stiffen up the chassis. The stock springs are too soft. That needs the swap as well for better ones. I dont wanna rash with H&R springs. I am waiting to see if other better options roll out to the market soon.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

salvadorik, have you tried driving your S3 with the suspension in the automatic mode? It gives a comfortable ride when simply driving along, but I believe the car senses when you're cornering or pushing it, and firms things up.

Quick Reply: Sway bars and other suspension components