Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Stage 1.5 on my S3 (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stage 1+ on my S3 (USA)

This past Friday, my car was fitted with a new map. I went with the Unitronic Stage 1+ tune. Thank you CB Tuning in New Tripoli, PA (near Allentown) for taking good care of my car! Sorry I didn't post anything sooner, but I wanted to wait to post any of the details until I've driven the car for a few days.

First, why tune now? I realize there are a bunch of guys who'll read this, who tune and mod their cars right away - they get it. So, this part is more for the rookies, who require a kick in the ***. I waited until I reached 1,000 miles. But why wait any longer? Let's say you're going to own the car for 3 years and the tune costs $700. Why would you wait a year? This car is BEGGING for a new map. At 3 years, that is 1,095 days, so we're talking $0.639 per day. Enjoy your investment of the tune for the entire duration of your ownership. Otherwise, you're paying more per day LOL and you're only prolonging the inevitable. Once I have time to upload videos, you're going to get a new map for your S3.

Time 2 Tune

Let's back up. What is Stage 1+? Did I install a new fuel pump or intake? No. Unitronic's Stage 1 is for 91 octane. Their Stage 1+ is for 93 octane. The tune is really welcomed. The car is amazing, stock. But it's not terribly exciting. With the tune, it's exactly what you would expect, FAST!!!!!!!! But it's the rest of the tune that is most impressive.

Shifting is as smooth as stock, in both D and S mode. Sorry guys, the car still revs a bit too high in 2nd gear (at least for me), when in S mode - just like it does stock. In manual mode, call the family, because you're not coming home - ever. When you're in manual mode, you tend to wind it out a bit more, and now the car feels like a completely different animal. And hell yes, it's a lot of fun. The feeling I got during the first few days was that someone popped in a turbo-5. It feels bigger and better.

Yesterday morning and today, I started the car in sub 30 degree (f) weather. The car starts up, just like stock, no weird sounds. All of the "Drive Mode" features are left in tact, including dynamic mode, which will net a higher idle and, of course, open up your exhaust flaps.

Highway! No need to down-shift in sixth gear, the car pulls like a freight train! The tune seems to dial-in the perfect amount of boost for instant passing power. After setting cruise control, I'm realizing more MPG, which is welcomed. I shot a video of this, and will upload later. I'm seeing 31-33mpg on flat highway roads at approx 70mph.

Acceleration! You don't need to worry about using launch control to net a 4 second 0-60mph run. Just mash it and the car blasts forward like a bullet. 60' Times will be greatly improved with this tune. But I was paying more attention to the 25-70mph range, it's beast-mode!!!

Driveability. With a tuned turbo-charged car, FAST IS FUN, but I don't like to ignore the way my car really feels. Sure, the capability of the car has changed. And this transformation, without a need for any hardware, is nothing short of shocking. But I require a solid connection between the car and I. What I'm talking about is overall driveability, I don't want to feel any jerky nature. The new map feels like a more powerful stock map. Push your foot down with 0-40% and it feels like stock with slightly improved throttle response. Get to 40-50% throttle and you begin to feel more power. And once you mash it, you feel the instantaneous linear delivery of maximum boost! It's a lot more exciting to drive.

More on Driveability. The car doesn't feel hyperactive or peaky, it's not too much lower rpm boost. Sometimes you tune a car, and it's fun, more power, sure. But after a while, it begins to feel TOO aftermarket and soon enough the car is driving you. Do you know what I mean? This is not that tune. It feels perfectly SMOOTH, it is delivering perfectly LINEAR power with excellent but not jerky throttle response... I'm the one doing the driving. And I will be driving a lot. This tune is exactly what I was hoping it would be. I am very happy!

Audi S3 ~ Unitronic Stage 1.5 Map

Give this beautiful car a tune and you have yourself a VERY serious contender. Not that drag racing is the ultimate, I prefer the twisties, that's why I love Quattro/Haldex. But still, you'll be hoping to line-up next to a supercar. You can hang or win, especially if the opposition is a manual. The newfound power and this S-Tronic transmission, is a lethal combo.

It doesn't look like the Unitronic website is updated yet. But this tune is available. It's not beta. It's the real deal!

P.S. Suspension! Again, for the rookies in here.... this Stage 1+ Unitronic makes this car perfect, almost. It's fairly light, has a confidence-inspiring chassis, and now it's making over 350hp. But I feel that the factory springs are far too soft for all of the power you're going to make with a new tune! You are probably aware that I have aftermarket springs on my S3. I have the H&R Sport Springs. I wanted to address a few things with the springs. Fix the ugly factory wheel gap (check), I wanted far less body roll (check), I wanted better handling overall (check)- especially more control at high speeds (check check)! You should consider ticking those boxes, once you get a tune for this car, trust me! Whether you get a sway bar or two, or just springs (which is what I did), you'll greatly improve the handling. Good luck!

Last edited by RyanS3; 03-02-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know for me, a "rookie" as you say, the low cost of a tune isn't the issue nor is waiting 1000 miles. It's the several thousands of dollars on a potentially blown engine, turbo or DSG coupled with the tens of thousands of Audi Warranty put at risk by tuning so early. If they weren't reportedly such hardasses these days it wouldn't e a question. I get where they are coming from, though. Gotta pay to play.

I have no doubt that any of the established tuners will put out a killer stage 1 remap that keeps the benefits of stock while unleashing the beast within.

Thanks for the great review. I'm glad you're having an awesome time with the new new car.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Syrome
It's the several thousands of dollars on a potentially blown engine, turbo or DSG coupled with the tens of thousands of Audi Warranty put at risk by tuning so early.
Audi usually over enginreers its power trains. I believe it should be alright to tune an S3. I had my A6 with 3.0 tuned by APR and drove it for 2 years and absolutely no issues and the car was a freaking monster and I enjoyed a lot more than the stock.

For me when I tune my cars the key is to be able to flash it back to stock before i visit a dealer. So Ryan, can we do that with this tune?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yea guys, I tuned my Golf R tuned to 356HP and it was a VERY reliable beast. I never had one issue with the drivetrain!!! A3 before it, same thing.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, I took down a DB9 today without a tune. It was maybe .5 car length by the time we had to hit the brakes.

Tune it? nah, I'm good.

What about services by the dealership, will you tell them?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BUT… as for the nasty rear body roll… it's almost a safety issue… spend the money on the suspension for sure.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanS3
Yea guys, I tuned my Golf R tuned to 356HP and it was a VERY reliable beast. I never had one issue with the drivetrain!!! A3 before it, same thing.
Were they manual transmission cars that you tuned? There is always a week link, and a non-manual transmission is often an issue with increased power.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T
Were they manual transmission cars that you tuned? There is always a week link, and a non-manual transmission is often an issue with increased power.
I disagree. weak link is the clutch.
The A3 was dsg and revo. Great tune.
The R was manual, unitronic. no option for dsg here, with the mk6.
The weak link was the clutch, so almost everyone 1.5 or at least stage 2 had major clutch slip. Many replaced them.
I would HATE to get an aftermarket clutch.

It's really cold here, and no issues! And I'm making more power than my Stage 2++ Golf r (intake/hpfp/tbe/ic).
Old 03-02-2015, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RyanS3
I disagree. weak link is the clutch.
The A3 was dsg and revo. Great tune.
The R was manual, unitronic. no option for dsg here, with the mk6.
The weak link was the clutch, so almost everyone 1.5 or at least stage 2 had major clutch slip. Many replaced them.
I would HATE to get an aftermarket clutch.

It's really cold here, and no issues! And I'm making more power than my Stage 2++ Golf r (intake/hpfp/tbe/ic).

Are we gonna have any problems with our DSG if tuned? We have two clutches in S Tronic tranny. I am not worried about motor but DSG is kinda fragile. Are you confident about putting around 400 ft lb, which I think this is what the tuned S3 is actually generating at crank.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Are we gonna have any problems with our DSG if tuned? We have two clutches in S Tronic tranny. I am not worried about motor but DSG is kinda fragile. Are you confident about putting around 400 ft lb, which I think this is what the tuned S3 is actually generating at crank.
crank 400lb trq? no sir!

I'm confident right now that it's safe.

probably not until you do intake, turbo back exhaust, intercooler, and maybe more.

Quick Reply: Stage 1.5 on my S3 (USA)