Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

PODS Stills Malfunction after Recall repair on S3

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PODS Stills Malfunction after Recall repair on S3

How many are still experiencing a PODS malfunction after completing the repair?

I continue to get the "Audi Presence System Error" displayed on screen console upon starting the car and BOTH Seat belt and Airbag warning lights. This also happens when a passenger stands off the front seat while the engine is on.

This is in reference to the initial PODS recall.
Safety Recall
Code: 69Z4
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ecall-2974834/

The following 2 users liked this post by extrememike:
janice kim (02-24-2020), STL Okie (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same issue. Took the car in last week for the recall repair. Had the error messages pop immediately on the way home from the dealer after their "fix". I took it back in today and they dealer said it was the actual PODs sensor and it would cost $1,100 to repair! This was because the recall repair only included that wire connection. They knew I probably wouldn't like that and gave me Audi USA 1-800 number and suggested I contact them for possible coverage. I spoke to a nice lady there and gave her my breakdown of the issue. They spoke with an internal person and even the dealer. They said they need to contact someone internally with technical knowledge of the recall and that it would take 2-4 days to get a final answer. They are due to call me back with if they can consider this part of the recall, or if not, if they can help cover any of the repair cost.

So now I'm waiting on a response from Audi USA.

At this point I can't believe they would charge me $1,000 to fix what is a known safety issue, let alone started well within my warranty period. But you never know these days.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Men. That sucks.

I see you are in Oklahoma. Did you take your car to Audi OKC and did they charge anything to diagnose the issue?
Old 10-15-2019, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I’m at Audi Tulsa, who have always been pretty good on the service side. They didn’t charge me anything for diagnosing the issue, and even gave me an A6 loaner for the day.

Side note: I’m not a fan of the new A6 interior design. These LCD panel dashes can’t go away fast enough. Touch screens are terrible replacements for controls in moving vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by STL Okie:
Flying Scotsman (10-16-2019), Wiscoaudi (12-06-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

why is it that people are having to pay for repairs to a car that's not wear and tear during their warranty periods...

is there not a bumper to bumper?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I posted on the other forum but duplicating here and will move all future comments to this thread.

I just heard back from Audi USA on the recall repair not working for the issue I'm still having with the passenger airbag warnings. They said they will not pay for the repair and will only help cover $200. That means they want me to pay $774 to fix the issue. Really disappointing.

I'm going to have to make some more calls to Audi USA to have someone explain this to me better.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i just dont get how your car has warranty left and audi isnt covering a warranty item...

am i missing something here?
Old 10-17-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 17A3
i just dont get how your car has warranty left and audi isnt covering a warranty item...

am i missing something here?
Nope, and that's what I'm confused as well. I called the dealer back today asking for clarification here. I've had this issue documented since around 40,000 miles. Waiting on a call back.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I am very confused on this issue.....STL Okie states that the POD sensor is at fault and can not be replaced under warranty...this makes no sense....one it is a safety issue, two you state you have not exceeded either mileage or time for Audi warranty. How many miles do you have on the car when the POD fault was diagnosed or you reported an issue.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OK here's the whole story from Audi. They are saying my warranty expired in June of 2018 (4 years), even though I was still under miles. The first time they had it documented I brought it in was Oct 2018 (47k miles). Even though I had the issue before then but it was only very intermittent. By October is was full blown fault was the first time their system noted it. So this is why it's not under warranty from their perspective. I argued that I had the issue before the 4 year limit but I'm SOL because they don't have it documented and I didn't have hard proof.

As far as the safety recall they are saying this is a whole other issue because the recall only covered the wire connector repair, nothing else. Even though that wire directly connects to this PODS sensor they said it is "unrelated". I call BS but that's what they said. I still have no airbag when a passenger is in the car, which is a legitimate safety concern.

Honestly I feel I'm getting hosed from both angles. I let them know I hope they realize how much saving themselves $600 on technicalities is going to cost them in the long run, wife's car was due for replacement this year and she's more frustrated than I am.

Last edited by STL Okie; 10-18-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: PODS Stills Malfunction after Recall repair on S3