Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Jack Daniels Audi Upper Saddle River NJ. Service issue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jack Daniels Audi Upper Saddle River NJ. Service issue.

I purchased my Audi back in November. At 1,200 miles I changed the oil. I brought the car in for its 5000 mile service. 2,200 miles later after the service (at 7200 miles), the warning light goes on saying I'm low on oil. WTF? I just had it changed. At this point they either didn't fill it with enough oil, or they didn't change the oil at all. I'm thinking that they didn't change the oil at all. I call the dealer to voice my displeasure, and what she told me is the craziest crap I've ever heard a car dealership associate tell me in my life (and I've heard some crazy ones). She said that these cars burn a quart of oil every 1,500 miles. I said that is complete B.S. She said it's in the manual. I say what page? She says she doesn't know the exact page. Wow!!!! I have a deep dislike for car dealers and service personnel. They just spew out anything that they can think of. Should I call AofA? At this point it isn't worth it. I purchased the quart of oil. But the dealership claims they changed the oil. Liars.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 06-03-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought my 2004 a4 cpo in 2007 from that dealer and a week later it flooded after a hard rain. I was livid.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
But the dealership claims they changed the oil. Liars.
Have an oil sample analyzed.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the dealership just yet. I had serious oil consumption issues with my 2009 A4. So bad that at one point I was putting oil in every 600 miles. Audi ended up replacing the pistons under warranty.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, after 2,200 miles, your "add oil" warning turns on. I really don't know what you could possibly blame on the dealership.

If they didn't change the oil, then the oil quality will still be fine now (at 7,700). So no damage done. I've had oil analyzed in my old 2.7T, and it was totally fine at 10,000 miles. I seriously doubt that a dealer would totally skip an oil change. But if you want to be totally sure that your oil was changed, change it yourself now, or pay to have someone do it and watch them.

The oil level is low because they did not put enough in - What's the big deal, put in a quart of oil.

In either case, there is no way the dealership did any harm to your car by changing, not changing, or not completely filling your oil. So, be grateful at this point you can be sure they did no permanent damage.

Seriously, life is too short to get all worked up over pure speculation on your part. It is possible that the car burned through some oil. Watch the oil level from here on out. If it is consuming excess oil, report it to the dealership, and they will begin their testing.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would go straight to AoA. They really don't like dealers pulling BS and they penalize them for all kinds of service and showroom complaints.

Almost more galling is them treating you as if you were a moron.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T
So, after 2,200 miles, your "add oil" warning turns on. I really don't know what you could possibly blame on the dealership.

What's the big deal, put in a quart of oil.

In either case, there is no way the dealership did any harm to your car by changing, not changing, or not completely filling your oil. So, be grateful at this point you can be sure they did no permanent damage.

Seriously, life is too short to get all worked up over pure speculation on your part. It is possible that the car burned through some oil. Watch the oil level from here on out. If it is consuming excess oil, report it to the dealership, and they will begin their testing.
You may be right that there was no damage, but do you really think he was treated appropriately by the dealer's service rep? I highly doubt AoA will think this is a case of "what's the big deal". Maybe it's okay with you, but it isn't with him or Audi. I don't think he is overreacting in any way or making a big deal out of nothing. I bet if he brings it to the attention of Jack Daniels mgm't they are likely to think the way he was treated is a big deal. He could have bought a Hyundai and got treated like that for a lot less money.

Here's the proof ... The next oil change comes 10,000 miles later. At a quart every 1500 miles, 10,000 miles would burn 6.66 quarts of oil. And how much oil is in the system of an S3 or A3? 6 quarts according to my manual and Audi.

Last edited by mikele; 06-03-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use the same dealership, and there seems to be alot of very young kids in the service department. I brought in my car to put my summer tires on wheels (with 1 tire on the donut, thanks NJ roadways), and asked them *not* to rotate the wheels (I was having one fixed a bit and had identified which one).
Well, tire pressure was 5PSI off of what they recommend for the A3, the wheels were rotated, the jack parts were not replaced (loosely placed), and (best of all) the spare tire was placed in upside down and not secured.
So, I wouldnt be surprised if not enough care was taken, and that your complaint was taken with a stock answer instead of a real investigation.

Oh, did I also mention the 4 times they "road forced" balanced my tires until I forced them to replace my front ball bearing and now the car drives smoothly? They can't imagine any other problem than just "crappy NJ roads"...

However, with that said, my 2001 S4, and my GTI both burned more oil than any non-turbo car I've owned, and I tended to put about 1 quart in per 3K or so. And, FWIW, the GTI or the S4 manual (sorry, I'm old and I forget things) really did say to keep a share quart in the trunk.

One last ramble: Audi Agrees To Settle Oil Consumption Lawsuit | CarComplaints.com
Old 06-04-2015, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you have AudiCare, you can just drive up and ask any dealer to topoff the oil. I have done it several times with my old A7. Took them 5 minutes, no charge.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only had my oil changed once and that was when I was reaching my 5,000. I had my car since November too.

I'm at 6,300+ now, and hadn't given oil a 2nd thought at the moment.

Should I be more concerned?

Quick Reply: Jack Daniels Audi Upper Saddle River NJ. Service issue.