Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

I feel too old for an S3

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ED_In_Aust
Hahahah your never too old! I'm 66 and just had my S3 APR stage 1 tune as it now out of warranty. Plan on intake next and DSG upgrade.
Plan on living life to the full and couldn't give a S^&t what people think!!

Let us know. How the apr tune treats you. Im a new owner of a used 2015 s3 with 58,000K should i apr it myself. With those miles..?
Old 03-09-2020, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Unitronic lets you flash it from home.. Why pay somebody for it, plus have to waste 1/2 a day to do it, travel etc.. Also, you can change some settings on your own. (I'm stage II). Tune quality wise not huge differences between the vendors really. I've used 3 different tuners across many VAG cars.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinnetti
Unitronic lets you flash it from home.. Why pay somebody for it, plus have to waste 1/2 a day to do it, travel etc.. Also, you can change some settings on your own. (I'm stage II). Tune quality wise not huge differences between the vendors really. I've used 3 different tuners across many VAG cars.
Possible dumb question, but... If my car is already Stage 1 APR, how would I go about switching over to Unitronic? Do I need to go to my shop and flash back to stock, then do Unitronic, or can I buy the Unitronic stuff and tune it like normal?
Old 03-14-2020, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hev702
Possible dumb question, but... If my car is already Stage 1 APR, how would I go about switching over to Unitronic? Do I need to go to my shop and flash back to stock, then do Unitronic, or can I buy the Unitronic stuff and tune it like normal?
Good question actually. Since you are already stage I APR, its probably least costly to upgrade to APR stage II I presume. Assuming you wanted to change vendors, you should contact the vendor you want to switch to to make sure, but I "think" you can just flash over whatever code is there now.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

i don’t know the answer but i’d email unitronic to ask. they have fantastic customer support. also unitronic will usually cut a deal for those switching tunes from a competitor so i’d ask about that too.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spinnetti
Since you are already stage I APR, its probably least costly to upgrade to APR stage II I presume.
i don’t think so. stage II would require quite a bit new hardware unless they have already have all the necessary bolt ons (intake, intercooler, downpipe).
Old 03-15-2020, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. My shop says free stage 2 upgrade with purchase of APR downpipes, or $199 fee with a different brand downpipe.

The main reason I would be looking to switch towards Unitronic is so that I can flash when I choose, without having to pay my shop to do it. This would make stage 2 and emissions much cheaper and easier to get around.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the replies. My shop says free stage 2 upgrade with purchase of APR downpipes, or $199 fee with a different brand downpipe.

The main reason I would be looking to switch towards Unitronic is so that I can flash when I choose, without having to pay my shop to do it. This would make stage 2 and emissions much cheaper and easier to get around.
i'd double check that emissions part, unless you are planning to remove the downpipe and revert back to stage 1 or stock when you go to do emissions. all cars are different, so ymmv, but having the downpipe is most likely going to throw a code, which will cause you to fail emissions. last i checked apr and unitronic don't fake readiness with their tunes either, so even though you won't have not have a CEL while the tune is active, the car won't pass readiness.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread used to be about "us old guys" loving their S3s ;<) You do realize that you have turned it into an APR tune discussion ?

Old 03-17-2020, 02:55 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FlorS3
This thread used to be about "us old guys" loving their S3s ;< You do realize that you have turned it into an APR tune discussion ?
it's called a "thread jack" and it has taken on another life. Let's get back to the 'old guys & their S3's". 😑

Last edited by bpp; 03-19-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: I feel too old for an S3