Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How many use the touchpad on the MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How many use the touchpad on the MMI?

I've barely begun playing around with some of the stuff in my car including the MMI touchpad. Still trying to get a feel for it, but I must admit that being a lefty makes it more challenging that I would like. I couldn't help but wonder how many here are also lefties and whether that bothers you trying to write or gesture with your right hand. Ironically I was looking at another thread regarding the steering wheel retrofit and noticed the car is a right-hander and I thought to myself...man that would be nice since I could use my left hand on the touchpad. Lol. No, this is not a photo of my car's interior but just for reference.
Attached Thumbnails How many use the touchpad on the MMI?-touchpad.jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had my car for a few weeks now.
After setting everything up(connecting my phone, other menu item settings), I've rarely had to touch any of those buttons.
I do alternate between using the volume/track skipping there and on the steering wheel though.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My S3 is the second car I've had with the touchpad (first was a 2015 MINI) and I'm also a leftie. I have only used the touchpad once or twice on either car, always while sitting still. It was a bit of a pain, but it's not something I'd use much anyway.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

When I force myself to use my right hand to write characters, it's actually pretty useful. For example searching for a track in my music library w/o having to scroll through multiple folders and sub folders I can simply write the first letter or two and skip through a large portion of the normal search process.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a good question, funny, after two years, I still sometimes forget about the touchpad and start with the dial like a doofus.

I rarely use the MMI dial, mostly because I use my iPhone for almost everything... such a waste of money the MMI.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've used the touchpad a few times, but don't really find it much faster than entering the characters manually from the list.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Its a good question, funny, after two years, I still sometimes forget about the touchpad and start with the dial like a doofus.

I rarely use the MMI dial, mostly because I use my iPhone for almost everything... such a waste of money the MMI.
What would be better is if you could use voice command to find music tracks, etc. Since my car came with the Technology package I of course have the MMI, but I don't regret it as I love having Virtual Cockpit and the navigation function as part of the MMI works better than in my last car since it's running live via AT&T connection. Maybe not quite as fast as my Android but not too bad.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
What would be better is if you could use voice command to find music tracks, etc.
The Android-Auto/Google Play Music combination is pretty amazing. Literally ask the car ("OK Google") for nearly any song and it just plays, completely touchless.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
What would be better is if you could use voice command to find music tracks, etc. Since my car came with the Technology package I of course have the MMI, but I don't regret it as I love having Virtual Cockpit and the navigation function as part of the MMI works better than in my last car since it's running live via AT&T connection. Maybe not quite as fast as my Android but not too bad.
Yeah, I have a 2015, no VC that yeah... much less of a waste of money IMO.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an A4 with touchpad. Left handed. I don't really use it that much. The times I try my right hand with it, about half the time I have to redraw the character.

I wonder if right side drive cars with right handed drivers have a hard time with the touchpad?

Quick Reply: How many use the touchpad on the MMI?