Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Feeling left out. Why the S3 does not belong to Audi Sport Line?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Feeling left out. Why the S3 does not belong to Audi Sport Line?

The S3 does not show up under the line up for Audi Sport. https://www.audiusa.com/models?filter=sport
I am aware there are significant differences in materials and coatings between and A3 and S3.

So in addition to biturbos and exhausts. is there also a difference in engine internals between S and RS?
Old 09-26-2019, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Only RS models are shown under the "Audi Sport" line on their site. Audi still produces the S models but just listed with all the other models.

As for the RS3, it has a 5cyl turbocharged engine vs the S3 which has a turbocharged 4 cyl. So yes, there is quite a significant change to the powertrain on the RS.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another cylinder..
Old 10-01-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by extrememike
The S3 does not show up under the line up for Audi Sport. https://www.audiusa.com/models?filter=sport
I am aware there are significant differences in materials and coatings between and A3 and S3.

So in addition to biturbos and exhausts. is there also a difference in engine internals between S and RS?

no biturbos in the rs3.....

and seriously? you make a post about you being butthurt about not being included in the audi sport category??

smh dude. enjoy ur S3 lool
The following users liked this post:
nate (10-04-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Audi Sport or Audi Sport Gmbh is a wholly owned private subsidiary of Audi, formerly called Quattro Gmbh founded in 1983. Same as BMW M and AMG. They were tuning houses that got acquired by the brands. Quattro Gmbh got renamed to Audi Sport Gmbh last year. They engineer the high performance models of the brand, the RS models and the R8, as well as optical bits such as the S-line styling packages and the S model stylings for the regular Audi models. The S are Audi models, not Audi Sport models. The Audi Sport models actually have different VINs to indicate that they are coming from a separate entity, but they are sold under the Audi brand and produced in Audi's factories. Audi Sport is headquartered in Neckarsulm, Germany, whereas Audi is headquartered in Ingolstadt. Like BMW M and AMGs, most Audi Sport models are based on regular Audi models as opposed to engineered from the ground up. Exception to that is the R8, which was engineered from the ground up by Audi Sport. Same applies to the AMG GT line and the AMG GT63 line, while all the other AMGs are based on the regular Mercedes models. Typically Audi Sport, BMW M and AMG models have different engines developed by these tuning subsidiaries and the rest of the car is modified to match the higher power engines. These subsidiaries are also running the respective brands Motorsport divisions.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-01-2019 at 10:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
EXELR8 (10-01-2019), extrememike (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 17A3
no biturbos in the rs3.....

and seriously? you make a post about you being butthurt about not being included in the audi sport category??

smh dude. enjoy ur S3 lool
Do you have any sense of humor?

or do you really think I would be crying because my car doesn’t show up under the a particular line up

I wasn’t talking about the S3 vs RS3 specifically.

Biturbos relate to differences between de the the 2.9 and 3.0 engines.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hockenheim
Another cylinder..
I was definitely looking for a more technical answer regarding quality of materials.

Understanding differences in the number of cylinders might be too much of an obvious answer. Don’t you think?
Old 10-03-2019, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Audi Sport or Audi Sport Gmbh is a wholly owned private subsidiary of Audi, formerly called Quattro Gmbh founded in 1983. Same as BMW M and AMG. They were tuning houses that got acquired by the brands. Quattro Gmbh got renamed to Audi Sport Gmbh last year. They engineer the high performance models of the brand, the RS models and the R8, as well as optical bits such as the S-line styling packages and the S model stylings for the regular Audi models. The S are Audi models, not Audi Sport models. The Audi Sport models actually have different VINs to indicate that they are coming from a separate entity, but they are sold under the Audi brand and produced in Audi's factories. Audi Sport is headquartered in Neckarsulm, Germany, whereas Audi is headquartered in Ingolstadt. Like BMW M and AMGs, most Audi Sport models are based on regular Audi models as opposed to engineered from the ground up. Exception to that is the R8, which was engineered from the ground up by Audi Sport. Same applies to the AMG GT line and the AMG GT63 line, while all the other AMGs are based on the regular Mercedes models. Typically Audi Sport, BMW M and AMG models have different engines developed by these tuning subsidiaries and the rest of the car is modified to match the higher power engines. These subsidiaries are also running the respective brands Motorsport divisions.
Thanks. That’s good history right there, and probably explains the premium in price of Audi Sport models.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by extrememike
Do you have any sense of humor?

or do you really think I would be crying because my car doesn’t show up under the a particular line up

I wasn’t talking about the S3 vs RS3 specifically.

Biturbos relate to differences between de the the 2.9 and 3.0 engines.
I have a great sense of humor but your post shows zero humor lol. I'm sorry I don't catch how your post is funny or playful in anyway. Just seems like you're whining

Also your post isn't clear that you're asking what the difference is, in a general sense, between s and rs of any s and rs model and not specifically s3 rs3....since your post is about the fact your S3 doesn't show up in Audi sport. You even go as far as mentioning the a3.

The following 3 users liked this post by 17A3:
Flying Scotsman (10-04-2019), nate (10-05-2019), steven5210 (10-06-2019)