Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

E-Brake came on by itself. Wasn't expecting that.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E-Brake came on by itself. Wasn't expecting that.

This morning I got in my car that was already warmed up and running. The key wasn't left in the car while it was warming up. I had it with me. I jumped in the car and didn't close the door all the way. Put it in drive and pulled off very slowly, travelling maybe 3mph. I was still rolling, and when I opened the door to shut it securely the E-Brake slammed the car to a halt all by itself. It startled the crap out of me. I was going to try to repeat it, but why? I know now not to open the car door while it's being driven.

They're times when I'd open up the door while rolling very slowly (not in traffic), to Hock a loogie (TMI) but not with this car.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was your seat belt on? I know from my old Tiguan. If I didn't have my seatbelt on and its in drive and I open the door, the e-brake will auto engage. Guessing its a safety feature.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by OOOO S3
Was your seat belt on? I know from my old Tiguan. If I didn't have my seatbelt on and its in drive and I open the door, the e-brake will auto engage. Guessing its a safety feature.
Thanks. I might not have been belted. Does it do this at highway speeds?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Thanks. I might not have been belted. Does it do this at highway speeds?
Will you be opening your door with out a seat belt on the highway? lol I wouldn't recommend trying. I think its mainly the seat belt that engages the e-brake not the door opening.

So if you had your seat belt on and you open the door while rolling I think it will not engage but I haven't tested it that far.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Will you be opening your door with out a seat belt on the highway? lol I wouldn't recommend trying. I think its mainly the seat belt that engages the e-brake not the door opening.
Highway was a bad example. What about 25mph? or any speed greater than parking lot speeds? And does this function work with the passenger seat-belt?

Last edited by Spoonie G; 12-04-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Highway was a bad example. What about 25mph? or any speed greater than parking lot speeds? And does this function work with the passenger seat-belt?
I haven't tested it to that extent and I don't believe the passenger seat belt has an effect on the e-brake engaging.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I haven't tested it to that extent and I don't believe the passenger seat belt has an effect on the e-brake engaging.
Not good. Unbelted passenger opens the door? Let just shut the whole thing down. Guess this was done to prevent folks from jumping out of moving vehicles. LOL!! They fixed a problem that doesn't exist. Glad to see that car makers are looking out for folks who jump out of moving vehicles.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have experienced in our Q5, in a parking lot, that if I open the door with the engine is running and it is not in park (even though it is stationary), that the Epark will automatically engage. It doesn't matter if the driver is wearing a seat belt or not, it seems to be dependent on whether the vehicle is in park or not. I haven't tried it while the vehicle is moving though.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not good. Unbelted passenger opens the door? Let just shut the whole thing down. Guess this was done to prevent folks from jumping out of moving vehicles. LOL!! They fixed a problem that doesn't exist. Glad to see that car makers are looking out for folks who jump out of moving vehicles.
I meant that if the passenger unbuckles the belt and opens your door during highway speeds, they will be jumping out of a moving vehicle, e-brake will not engage.

Although I could be wrong, maybe after a certain speed it won't engage so it won't endanger anyone else in the car?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Although I could be wrong, maybe after a certain speed it won't engage so it won't endanger anyone else in the car?
Not to mention it could cause a pileup. I doubt that it would apply the brakes at speed. I'm not going to try.

Quick Reply: E-Brake came on by itself. Wasn't expecting that.