Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Does anyone here subscribe to Audi Connect service?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone here subscribe to Audi Connect service?

Since my car is brand new I'll be playing around with it for the 6 month trial period. I heard it's through AT&T. I think before it was T Mobile? Honestly as I'm using the navi function in my car I'm not sure whether the maps are actively using Google Earth due to the live service I'm getting through Audi Connect or if it's the standard navigation function, even w/o having Audi Connect. I have to admit I love having the nice rendering in VC. I'm wondering when my free trial runs out there will be a noticeable difference in the mapping.

Since my wife is on AT&T I heard from a salesperson at my dealer that it's only $20/mo if you're an existing AT&T customer, so it's like adding an additional line. That may be reasonable if true but I'd like to hear from anyone that currently uses Audi Connect and whether it's worth the money.

I suppose having the WiFi hotspot is one nice feature. I'm going to try and use Android Auto but my understanding is I can only really take advantage of it with the center console screen and not VC.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

The pricing has changed for the new systems. Audi connect used to just require a SIM card for the data connection. Initially that was through T-Mobile, but Audi switched to AT&T starting in 2016 and it was possible to add the car as an additional line to an AT&T Shared Data plan for $10/month. That's what I currently have with my RS5.

The new systems require a license for the Audi connect services besides a data connection. It uses a built in eSIM. The new pricing can be found here:

https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...e/audi-connect

You can still add the Wifi hotspot to an existing AT&T Shared Data plan. The Wifi hotspot is now a separate function from Audi connect. Without Audi connect you won't get the Google Earth overlays, traffic information etc. You can still use navigation with the standard built-in maps, though.

At least in my current car I personally find it useful and it delivers enough value to justify $10/month. I'm mostly using it for Google Earth and sending navigation destinations from my phone or computer directly to the car, so I don't have to enter them manually and occasionally I perform a Google Local Voice search while I'm on the go. The access to the always up to date Google POI database is one of the best features.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about the new pricing. There are some additional features compared to the old system, but honestly I don't think they justify the steep increase in pricing. Having said that, when time comes to replace my RS5, I'll probably will sign up for it again. In the big picture of annual operating costs considering insurance, gas and maintenance, it's a drop in the bucket, even at the higher pricing.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you for the feedback superswiss, very helpful. I forgot to add another comment/question in my initial post about the car navigation using the AT&T plan (Audi Connect). In my S4 I simply started using my Android smartphone as I do in rental cars as well because of how fast it is and always being up to date.

Would that be the case using the Audi Connect subscription with the stock NAV setup? I'm curious how up to date it is with routing and traffic, as well as the speed of the processing. Having the latest Android or iPhone is pretty hard to beat I think.

I do love having Google Earth overlays that's for sure especially since I now can take advantage of Virtual Cockpit.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

With Audi connect you get 5 free map updates. Updates come out every 6 months, so you are basically covered for the first 2.5 years. After that, the word on the street is that you will have to visit a dealer to update the map. Pricing for that is not known yet. On current models with the older MMI, map updates at the dealer cost around $400, which is pretty insane. We'll see what happens when the first new models run out of free updates.

Traffic is through INRIX, which like Google crowdsources traffic data, so it should be pretty good. I have very little complaints about the Nav in my RS5. It still uses SiriusXM for traffic and Google Maps, Waze etc. rarely find a better route in my area. Where Google Maps and Waze have a bit of an advantage is in city driving. They are often more up to date with frequent traffic changes, so I occasionally cross check with Google Maps if I want to get out of the city as quickly as possible.

In your case you always have the option to use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay in addition or instead of the built-in Nav.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was on the 6-month trial back in 2014 when I got my A3, then I got a year of a free as a result of some service problems I had with my A3 in the early years. I went without Audi Connect for 6 months after that until the fall of last year I finally subscribed and to my surprise the pricing finally met agreeable options. To my knowledge AT&T has always been the suggested provider.
I pay only $10 a month, and that's without any existing AT&T plan.
I think the cheaper Audi Connect options come available depending how old your Audi gets.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
With Audi connect you get 5 free map updates. Updates come out every 6 months, so you are basically covered for the first 2.5 years.
I could be wrong, but my pea brain sees '5 free updates' separate from 'covered for 2.5 years'. Meaning, just because Audi releases new updates every 6 months, doesn't mean I have to update my maps every 6 months. I hope my translation is correct, because my intent was to spread those 5 free updates out over ~5 years.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently took my S3 on a ~1200 mile round-trip road trip, and used both Waze (for hazards, law enforcement, etc) and the built-in nav with Google overlays. One thing I appreciated with the built-in nav was that it showed me what was ahead of me 2-3 exits, as far as services available (gas, food, lodging). In some cases, it even specified the brand of service (icons for Shell gas, McDonalds, etc). The POIs should be much more accurate using the Google overlay data.

I also took extensive use of being able to send my destinations to Audi Connect. I had all of that information figured out and sent before I ever left the house. Then it was a matter of picking where I was heading next, and letting the nav system work its magic.

As far as the in-car wifi goes, I'm using it now because it's free, and I might as well take advantage of the free bandwidth. But once the trial period is up, I won't be continuing it. I rarely get up against the data cap on my phone as it is, so paying for another data plan isn't worth it to me.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by carman63
I could be wrong, but my pea brain sees '5 free updates' separate from 'covered for 2.5 years'. Meaning, just because Audi releases new updates every 6 months, doesn't mean I have to update my maps every 6 months. I hope my translation is correct, because my intent was to spread those 5 free updates out over ~5 years.
I don't think it's been confirmed how exactly Audi counts the 5 updates. If it only counts it when you download an update, then you are right, but if they count it whether you download it or not, then it's 2.5 years.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
I don't think it's been confirmed how exactly Audi counts the 5 updates. If it only counts it when you download an update, then you are right, but if they count it whether you download it or not, then it's 2.5 years.
I have a feeling you can't spread it out for free map updates, otherwise why would Audi specify 2.5 years of free coverage? I'm sure the dealer can confirm this but there's actually no logical reason in my mind why the coverage would be an odd period of time such as 2.5 years. Simple math would indicate it's simply 1 free map update every 6 months whether you take advantage of it or not, hence 2.5 years or 30 months. Like the other person noted, I would have done the same by spreading out the updates over a longer period of time if it didn't matter. Yeah if it's going to be $400 for a freaking single update that is indeed insane! I mean a $100 Garmin has LIFETIME map updates for free!!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by carman63
I also took extensive use of being able to send my destinations to Audi Connect. I had all of that information figured out and sent before I ever left the house. Then it was a matter of picking where I was heading next, and letting the nav system work its magic.
I have not yet taken advantage of using Audi Connect and sending destinations to it via PC or smartphone, that's a great feature for sure.

Quick Reply: Does anyone here subscribe to Audi Connect service?