Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2018 RS3 New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I got a call from the dealership yesterday afternoon that my car is good to go, picked it up this morning, put another 100 miles beyond the 20 the service guys put on, and everything seems back to normal.

Really happy to have it back. Had an A4 s-line as a loaner, and I thought it was in comfort mode for about 30 miles before I realized it was in dynamic.
The following users liked this post:
nate (07-04-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 06:23 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiscoaudi
So I got a call from the dealership yesterday afternoon that my car is good to go, picked it up this morning, put another 100 miles beyond the 20 the service guys put on, and everything seems back to normal.

Really happy to have it back. Had an A4 s-line as a loaner, and I thought it was in comfort mode for about 30 miles before I realized it was in dynamic.
Wiscoaudi,

Congratulations on having your RS3 back and all seems to be just lovely.

Enjoy your New engine and of course the RS3.

Terry
Old 07-04-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wfrager; really sorry to learn about your car problems. Unreal. I would be pretty upset but seems like Audi is working with you. Read through some of the posts and the debate about modding. I had a 2015 S3 that I modded up to Stage 2+. I had absolute zero issues with the car for the 4 years I owned it. Knew the mods would affect my warranty but I trusted myself and Audi to be reliable. I was not disappointed. Have a 2018 RS3 now and already did a Stage 1 tune from APR. But that is my limit. No spending the money on hardware and extra horsepower I can't really use daily anyway. Car is stupid fast already!! Biggest issue with modding, besides warranty, is resale. People are skeptical of modded cars. Feel they may have been raced a bit too much, etc. Can't trade it back to the dealership as they want stock and you'll never ever recover your money selling it independently. I was fortunate. My daughter bought my car. I've worked maintenance in the USAF my entire life and she knew how fussy I was about the maintenance on the S3. She loves that car and I love my RS3. I truly hope Audi can get things working properly for you so you can love your car again. Good luck!!!
Old 07-05-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OP, can you do us a favor? Ask Audi what this repair/replace would have cost you “out of pocket”? I think everyone would like to know the real risk $ when diving down the tune rabbit hole.
cheers.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:00 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ourlee
OP, can you do us a favor? Ask Audi what this repair/replace would have cost you “out of pocket”? I think everyone would like to know the real risk $ when diving down the tune rabbit hole.
cheers.
If she the (OP) replies there are going to be some Super-SHOCKED Audi members on what the "Out-of-Pocket-Cost" would be.

I've been down the Modding thing and can state with 100% certainty, your Factory Warranty is over-with.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-05-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

if you want a tune but are paranoid over losing your drivetrain warranty, for an extra $1k over the standard price APR includes a drivetrain warranty that matches the factory warranty.

i wasn’t considering a tune but i’ve been reading a lot of comments about how the 2019 doesn’t have all the exhaust pops and bangs that the previous cars did and it all seems software related since the hardware is the same. sounds like at least unitronic’s stage one brings them back. i’ll definitely be thinking about now if the APR tune does the same and mine doesn’t sound like what i expected.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My tuner says the 5cylinder costs $30k. Just want to know for sure.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey, didn’t see the follow up re: new engine replacement until now. New engine would be ~$23-24k including labor, but dealerships may quote differently depending on their labor estimate. IIRC, the engine itself is $16-17k. The dealership we’re going to is an Audi sport dealership so they also seem to have more training in the service dept, so YMMV. If you get quoted north of $25k, shop around.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I'm getting a new engine now too!

Yesterday, while my wife was driving at lower speeds & close to home (thankfully), there was a loud bang. Then there was a constant metallic clicking/thunking at the valve cover area. Oddly, there still isn't a CEL. Used Audi Care to have it flatbeded to the Audi Sport dealer. They confirmed this morning that it threw a rod bearing. "lots of metal floating around in there" he said. Hence the new engine.
Mine is a 2018, delivered 11.29.17. Car now has 43,502 miles. They say that they've never had this happen nor heard of it happening.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ugh, sounds remarkably similar to what I experienced. Just a heads-up for your service dept, it's worth checking the turbo/engine connection to make sure the metal didn't originate there...my service department ruined a perfectly good engine because Audi didn't direct them to check/replace the turbo. It turned out whatever broke in the turbo blew past the protective screen between the turbo and engine, causing the rod failure (and more metal to circulate in the new engine the first go-around).

Then again, they got to bill Audi for 2 engine replacements and a turbo replacement, so they might not be proactive about it if Audi doesn't direct them to....
The following users liked this post:
EXELR8 (10-05-2019)

Quick Reply: 2018 RS3 New Engine