Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2017 S3 - Car and Driver First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2017 S3 - Car and Driver First Drive

Looks like the Quattro got an overhaul... or at least a rethink.

A few little other goodies.

2017 Audi S3 Sedan First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver

Last edited by arU4ic; 06-01-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing the article aru4ic. Good read. Maybe a bit jealous of some of the new tech and gadgets on the 2017 model but quite content with my '15. One thing that I am undecided on is the new Virtual Cockpit. I played with one on a new Q7 when visiting my Audi dealer recently. Not sure I would like it. Neat concept and perfect for Audi but it's almost like it's too much going on. Guess I'm just too old school for the basic dash. I do like some of the info provided with the current dash however. But generally just have the digital speedo there as it's so much easier to read than the regular speedo!
Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Only thing I don't like is the move to just "S" badges on steering wheel, seats, and sills.
Was there some sort of cost savings by dropping the "3"?
Will those parts be also used in other models?
Old 06-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darn it! Now I want the new one!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Fight the temptation brother!! Dig in!! LOL. Thought had briefly crossed my mind but I have WAY too much money invested into my car with aftermarket parts and protection. Would never get that back. Braces, intakes, ECU/TCU tune, clear bra, paint sealant. The list goes on. My car is fast and looks great. I'm content!

But maybe when they refresh the 5 series..........I might take a look. Decided that will be my next Audi. A lovely S5 or RS5 would look great in my garage. Know the refresh for that line is inevitable.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Thanks for sharing the article aru4ic. Good read. Maybe a bit jealous of some of the new tech and gadgets on the 2017 model but quite content with my '15. One thing that I am undecided on is the new Virtual Cockpit. I played with one on a new Q7 when visiting my Audi dealer recently. Not sure I would like it. Neat concept and perfect for Audi but it's almost like it's too much going on. Guess I'm just too old school for the basic dash. I do like some of the info provided with the current dash however. But generally just have the digital speedo there as it's so much easier to read than the regular speedo!
I agree on the dash, I also like the tach and speedo with just the digital speedo display. My wife does the navigating, so as long as she can see the display we are set.

Refresh looks very nice with some nice new features, one nice thing is all the additional color choices, but we are buy and holders. Always something new coming down the road and we find it too expensive to try and keep up.

Luckily the longer we own a car the more I find myself becoming attached to it.

Never have leased a car but I can see that one of the advantages is that you can take advantage of the newest tech and updates.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:49 AM
ayn
AudiWorld Member

Very nice. I couldn't wait coz we had a baby and needed to replace our 9-yr-old Smart fortwo cab. I think '16 S3 were heavily discounted because '17s were coming, I got a great deal on mine and love it so no regrets. It's a lease so in less than 3 years I'll get a new one anyway.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Looks like the Quattro got an overhaul... or at least a rethink.

2017 Audi S3 Sedan First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver
Is it new Quattro system (meaning change of both hardware and software) or is it simply new software? If it is latter then we have a chance to get it updated. I bet improvements in toque distributions on all four corners make significant difference on driving dynamics.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Is it new Quattro system (meaning change of both hardware and software) or is it simply new software? If it is latter then we have a chance to get it updated. I bet improvements in toque distributions on all four corners make significant difference on driving dynamics.
Maybe I read it wrong, but I believe they changed out the actual control modules and redirected the logic into a single module that has all of the information to make the proper decisions as compared to multiple controllers trying to coordinate their efforts. If so, then its more than a mere software update (again, I'm probably jumping to some conclusions here, but thats how I read it).
Old 06-03-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by daves4
Maybe I read it wrong, but I believe they changed out the actual control modules and redirected the logic into a single module that has all of the information to make the proper decisions as compared to multiple controllers trying to coordinate their efforts. If so, then its more than a mere software update (again, I'm probably jumping to some conclusions here, but thats how I read it).
You're right. Not just ECU hardware, the Haldex system has been revised as well for improved torque vectoring.

Quick Reply: 2017 S3 - Car and Driver First Drive