Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2017 A3: Where do you keep your coins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really wondering why there would be a need to hold coins in the car. Tolls are handled electronically with credit card replenishment (at least here they are twice the cost if not handled that way), and parking meters are electronic and take credit cards. The toll transponder is good between where I live and the east coast. My wife's car has a coin holder in the dash, but it has never been used. While sometimes I do have some in my pocket, they are gone from where when I get home. Am I missing something about the need for coins?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobMar46
I am really wondering why there would be a need to hold coins in the car. Tolls are handled electronically with credit card replenishment (at least here they are twice the cost if not handled that way), and parking meters are electronic and take credit cards. The toll transponder is good between where I live and the east coast. My wife's car has a coin holder in the dash, but it has never been used. While sometimes I do have some in my pocket, they are gone from where when I get home. Am I missing something about the need for coins?
Parking meters. There aren't many left, but I work in one of the few cities that still has coin-only meters.

Beyond that, I do agree with the poster who noted that storage is one of the few gripes with this car. It just seems like most other cars have more space and better options.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

All real cities are converted over to CC meters or pay stations. That said, Vancouver, WA is not a real city and is still 95% coinop. The only time this ever affects me is when I meet my wife for lunch, which is why I keep coins in my rides since I'm definitely not putting those things in my pockets to jangle around. Will definitely be considering one of those Amazon inserts when (if?) my RS3 arrives as I don't want loose coins in the car either.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BobMar46
Parking meters, especially in smaller cities. Self-serve car washes. Those are 2 reasons I still carry coins (quarters).
Yes, some parking meters now accept credit cards, but seriously - how many apps does one need to install just to make a payment to park? In the NoVA area I can think of at least 3 different systems / apps needed. My humble quarter works in ALL meters that still accept coins.