Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2016 S3 dead -- new turbo, new cylinder head, maybe new engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, man, sorry to hear about the hail damage sucker punch.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Today's update: Audi "customer advocates" are totally useless.

I called Audi a few days ago, and was assigned a "customer advocate" who listened and took notes as I told her what had happened. She said they would review this and get back to me in a couple days -- well, today she called me back and told me they had reviewed everything and that I should talk to the dealer about issues, because they are in the best position to know what's going on. I told them I called Audi because the dealer wasn't giving me a lot of info and they said to take that up with the dealer also. Utterly useless.

Anyone have contacts at Audi? This whole experience is really making me question buying another Audi ever again.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nate
Today's update: Audi "customer advocates" are totally useless.
Anyone have contacts at Audi? This whole experience is really making me question buying another Audi ever again.
This sounds like a typical experience. About 6 years ago I had a new Acura TL that was burning oil. I had this ping pong experience between the manufacturer and the dealer. Basically the dealer wasn't standing behind the product they sell and the manufacturer wasn't standing behind the product they make. In the end we bought 3 more vehicles and made sure they aren't from Honda / Acura.

A few months ago I was having flash back as my A3 was consuming oil and I got the same script between Audi and its dealer. It was a useless and frustrating experience. I was very close to taking Audi off my list as well until several weeks ago. At 17k my piston broke and left me stranded. The dealer/Audi came through and got me a brand new engine instead of a refurbished one. Hopefully this new engine won't be burning oil like the last one.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if there's any way around it but turbo engines tend to burn oil for some reason. At least that is my experience. In addition, I do think your particular dealer is extremely important and whether they're willing to go to bat for you. Actually that applies to any brand of vehicle and I've dealt with plenty.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
Not sure if there's any way around it but turbo engines tend to burn oil for some reason. At least that is my experience. In addition, I do think your particular dealer is extremely important and whether they're willing to go to bat for you. Actually that applies to any brand of vehicle and I've dealt with plenty.
I hear lots of reports of this but over the past 15 years with 3 turbo Audi's 1 supercharged and one NA, I have not had one that required more than a few ounces of oil addition between services. Even the old 1.8T TT will go 10000 miles without adding. And it is at 160000 miles with thousands of miles of track time.
Now the electronics---- That is a different story :-/
Old 05-14-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
I hear lots of reports of this but over the past 15 years with 3 turbo Audi's 1 supercharged and one NA, I have not had one that required more than a few ounces of oil addition between services. Even the old 1.8T TT will go 10000 miles without adding. And it is at 160000 miles with thousands of miles of track time.
Now the electronics---- That is a different story :-/
Used to have a TT like in your pic, fond memories... when the car had 2100 miles, the intake cam sheered clean into 2 stopping the car dead. No new engines around they said, so 29 days later the engine was rebuilt (new head, camshafts, crank even I think) and the warranty was pushed up to 6 year 100k miles *I think*.. never had a problem with it after that though it did have 2 dashboard clusters do to christmas light shows...
Old 05-14-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by juliem
Used to have a TT like in your pic, fond memories... when the car had 2100 miles, the intake cam sheered clean into 2 stopping the car dead. No new engines around they said, so 29 days later the engine was rebuilt (new head, camshafts, crank even I think) and the warranty was pushed up to 6 year 100k miles *I think*.. never had a problem with it after that though it did have 2 dashboard clusters do to christmas light shows...
Hi Juliem, I remember. Only TT roadster I ever saw with a rollbar. I'm enjoying this garage queen I found in Texas recently. 54000 miles pure stock. Did a timing belt and fluids and good to go. Amazingly it has a good instrument cluster :-)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cool, always loved the top down
Old 05-19-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Picked the car up today

Well, car's back in my hands now. 19 days in the shop, and I have a summary with scary-sounding line items like "ENGINE COMPLETE REMOVE+REINSTALL" and "SUBFRAME REMOVE+REINSTALL", etc. If anyone wants to know a part number of an S3 engine, turbo or catalytic converter, let me know

Seems to be working. Next stop, hail damage repair
Old 05-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nate
Well, car's back in my hands now. 19 days in the shop, and I have a summary with scary-sounding line items like "ENGINE COMPLETE REMOVE+REINSTALL" and "SUBFRAME REMOVE+REINSTALL", etc. If anyone wants to know a part number of an S3 engine, turbo or catalytic converter, let me know

Seems to be working. Next stop, hail damage repair
ouch. That is going to be a killer on the resale value of your car. May as well drive it into the ground.

Quick Reply: 2016 S3 dead -- new turbo, new cylinder head, maybe new engine