Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

$170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for those that don't have the NAV, it sounds like .. we don't have to drop the glove compartment? Or is it still recommended?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tony Ohmer
So for those that don't have the NAV, it sounds like .. we don't have to drop the glove compartment? Or is it still recommended?
I don't have nav but I absolutely needed to drop the glove compartment to put all the backup cam stuff above it.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hamz01
I don't have nav but I absolutely needed to drop the glove compartment to put all the backup cam stuff above it.
Thanks!!
Old 01-01-2016, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry if this was already answered, I tried scanning as many pages as I could. Here are my few questions and what I've gathered so far:
  • Installing with factory Nav is fine? (I am pretty sure it is)
  • Does this still allow the video input audi cable to function normally?
  • Is there a calibration, do you find the arch guides to be accurate?
  • Has anyone added sensors to front or rear yet? if so where did you get them / how much and how was the install (is the beeping native?)
Old 01-01-2016, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

So jealous of you guys... I just installed a rvc in my dad's Q5 3.0T with mmi & nav, which was very similar to what you all have documented here... Really wish there was a solution for us folks with the 2G mmi
Old 01-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Josh Wright
Sorry if this was already answered, I tried scanning as many pages as I could. Here are my few questions and what I've gathered so far:
  • Installing with factory Nav is fine? (I am pretty sure it is)
  • Does this still allow the video input audi cable to function normally?
  • Is there a calibration, do you find the arch guides to be accurate?
  • Has anyone added sensors to front or rear yet? if so where did you get them / how much and how was the install (is the beeping native?)
1) Yes. 2) Yes. 3) No calibration. I don't really pay attention to the guide lines myself. 4) Have not yet heard of people adding sensors.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:11 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hamz01
3) No calibration. I don't really pay attention to the guide lines myself.
I measured once and they are shockingly accurate.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys! I'll likely grab this in the next day or so.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can anyone who has had their ECU upgraded and had to wire the cam to the rear bulb have a picture where they connected the wire from the relay to to the 'bulb'

I have this schematic, but i have no idea where the wire itself is located. Does anyone have any insight or better yet, a picture of where they made the connection?

you can find the signal: T73c/11 or T73a/64 just check if when rear gear is engaged it have 12+Volt.

Also to anyone who is not taking their car in for an ECU upgrade. This might not be the smartest thing. I was driving on the highway with lots of traffic and my engine died. Coasted to the side tried restarting and then an EPC warning came on. Car had to be towed to the dealership.

I wrote a very lengthy letter to Audi Canada about this. If anyone is interested I can show you the letter what happened and the result of not updating your ECU.

I'm only starting to understand now about why my car died after reading this entire thread.

I should note that when my car died, I did not have the camera installed
Old 01-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dryale
Can anyone who has had their ECU upgraded and had to wire the cam to the rear bulb have a picture where they connected the wire from the relay to to the 'bulb'

I have this schematic, but i have no idea where the wire itself is located. Does anyone have any insight or better yet, a picture of where they made the connection?

you can find the signal: T73c/11 or T73a/64 just check if when rear gear is engaged it have 12+Volt.

Also to anyone who is not taking their car in for an ECU upgrade. This might not be the smartest thing. I was driving on the highway with lots of traffic and my engine died. Coasted to the side tried restarting and then an EPC warning came on. Car had to be towed to the dealership.

I wrote a very lengthy letter to Audi Canada about this. If anyone is interested I can show you the letter what happened and the result of not updating your ECU.

I'm only starting to understand now about why my car died after reading this entire thread.

I should note that when my car died, I did not have the camera installed
Why did your car die and was not able to restart ?

Quick Reply: $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install