Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

What's so great about an A3 2.0 quattro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's so great about an A3 2.0 quattro?

provacative eh? but I'm really saying here is that whenever we do get the 2.0 with quattro (I guess this summer/fall) whether it's s-tronic only or 6 -speed manual, it creates a dilemma.

So much of what has made the 2.0 frontrak great, is due to the car not having quattro, and being priced right ($30k or less)- especially for those living in warm climates where quattro isn't a necessity. The 2.0 has staked it's name as a tossable, relatively light front-driver that's fun to drive with true german road manners.

But with the addition of the quattro drivetrain, the car will gain at least 200 pounds, and another $1500 in price. Sure, handling will be improved, but with the same power output from the engine, the car will lose some of its edge. Plus, it will put the car in a higher price point and push people to look at the 328xi (which is still more expensive) but will reduce the value of the A3. Sure, you can chip the quattro 2.0 easier, but it remains to be seen how the performance of the 2.0 quattro will differ from the 2.0 fronttrak, and if it will diminish the qualities that made the car so fun to drive and a good value in the first place. Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 AM
CRB
AudiWorld Member

Default Succinctly, it remains the grass on the other side of the fence. (more)

My personal "grass" is the 3.2q with the manual tranny, but to each their own.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default benefits of quattro can be felt in warm, cold, and mixed climates

Living in Toronto, we see a fair amount of extreme climates over a calendar year. Currently in winter, yes, having quattro along side a decent set of winter tires would greatly improve my ability to grip the road in the white stuff.

Even in the middle of the summer, I can think of a few very common situations that I would love to have quattro on my 2.0T.

For example, from a dead stop say at a stop light. Too many times have I wanted to punch it once the light turned green, only to feel the front wheels frantically try to grip the road beneath it. Driving all four wheels would significantly help in this department. Our cars are torquey to begin with, even more so on a chipped A3.

Acceleration through hard/tight cornering........ this is where quattro shines IMO. Instead of slipping, sliding, and understeering, I could be coming out of corners with controlled power, feeling the G's with a big grin on my face, instead of a scared nervousness.

Looking at the other side of the fence, yes I will likely not feel as nimble as I do now, which is a big part of the fun-factor when driving an A3. I think the increased handling and grip that quattro brings would be worth giving up some nimbleness.

Yes, you can get an aftermarket sportier suspension setup and rear sway bar to reduce understeer on the FrontTrak 2.0T and you can get an aftermarket LSD (replacing our stock open differential) to help with the road-gripping issues, especially in and around corners, but this would STILL not compare to what the quattro system puts down.

These are my thoughts.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's fine with me you feel that way, just one less person in my way of acquiring one!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Why does everyone assume that Quattro only applies to bad weather?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thats the great thing about choices

Everybody has their own preferences, and local conditions obviously have an influence in this case.

Also, much of what you said can (and has) also be said about other engines. But i feel that where the 2.0TFSI is concerned, that engine has so much torque and is so able to break the tires on frontrak, that IMHO it'll be able to handle quattro without too much negative impact. IMHO, that leaves just the issue of whether quattro is needed or not. For me, I live on a mountain and there's a lot of other hills and poorly cleared roads here so I would definitely lean towards one.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 PM

Default Re: What's so great about an A3 2.0 quattro?

Just remember, Audi develop the quattro for racing. Also the S3 is based on the 2.0 not 3.2 for a reason.

Hum...I wish I would have known about 2.0 quattro coming to the states. I would have waited.

2008 A3 2.0 DSG S-line
1988 911 Carrera
Old 01-24-2008, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hopefully they put the ED30 GTI engine, aka detuned S3 engine in the refreshed 2.0TQ A3.

That would make a world of difference. 230hp stock, chipped gets 300.

The R32 adds weight, but is worlds better than a GTI, and not because of the engine alone. The 2.0T weighs less than the 3.2. Also, the R32 runs around a track faster than many cars you wont believe. M3, S4 etc.

My dream car is an Edition 30 GTI with 4 motion.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:40 AM

How about the TT-S engine in a 5-door S3 for US?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd trade my car in for that in a heartbeat!

Quick Reply: What's so great about an A3 2.0 quattro?