Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Recommend a handling upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend a handling upgrade...

I have been pretty unhappy with the handling of my new A3 (400 miles on it).

Its got P6 tires, stock (non-sport) suspension. What is the first upgrade you might recommend? Sway bars seem like an easy add-on, right after new tires.

Ideas?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try sway and tires. Then decide from there, as the next steps get much more expensive.

I went with Hartmann RS4 replica wheels in 17 inch as they save 5lbs per corner over the stock premium wheels. Toyo T1R tires also save a few lbs per corner. I'd look at coilovers, but since it's a lease and I don't want to hassle putting them on and taking them off, let alone not having a use for them later, I haven't gone there. The wheels are much easier to swap and pay off in many ways.

The reduction in unpsrung weight makes the car much tossable - responding to throttle, brake, and steering inputs a shade faster all around. Is it the same difference as changing out to coilovers? No. But if you decide to get coilovers later, they will only work that much better with less weight to control. The grip and response from the Toyos make it night and day as well.

BTW, What cars are you comparing it to, and what specifically makes you unhappy that you didn't notice during the test drive?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup, then go to coilovers. You will like the look. Check ou the sig for few options.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I want a moderate lower, but it seems all coilover/spring-strut lower more

than I want my car lowered. Currently, 3" gap front and 2" rear. Would like 1.5" gap in front and 1" gap in rear. The minimum I see is 1.3". That's perfect for the front and it would probably settle to the 1.5" that I want. The rear, however is a different story, non of the combinations will lower the rear, say .8" and with settling, I would get the 1" that I want.

I do not want the slammed look, I just want to say bye bye to Mr. Gapo!!!

Anything out there?

I like Vogland and Koni's, TIA.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Look at the koni sport kit. For $590, shipped, it is a great deal.

Separately, the shocks cost $520 by themselves.

The Vogtland sport kit also looks like a pretty good deal.

Dave<ul><li><a href="http://www.purems.com/products/products.php/CA=1475">http://www.purems.com/products/products.php/CA=1475</a</li></ul>
Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Coilovers will get you as high as OEM sport ride height.

If you do not want it slammed, be wary of shocks/spring kits. Ride height is pre-set...

Konis and Vogs are great for daily driving. So I agree here.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No they won't (vogtlands)

And from what I've seen, neither will KW, HPA, H&amp;R and Koni. The only one that might actually get up to OEM sport height are the PSS9s.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Got pics?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ever bother looking at my sig?

Stock sport is 26" ground to fender all around (others have reported higher). Highest I can get in the rear is barely 25" (if even that), and that is with one thread and a half left on the rear perch. Fronts have no issue getting up to stock sport height, but it looks pretty ridiculous if there's a significant difference between the two heights.

Dave
Old 03-09-2007, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I see one lowered car and a poor picture to judge by. I don't see a comparo.....

No pics of the install, how you set it up, etc.

As you no doubt know from school, if you want to make comparative statements you must present evidence either collected by yourself, or by referencing another person's work.

I'm seeing you make a lot of statements and yet I rarely see the data by which you reach these conclusions. This leaves me to deduce that either you work on your car non-stop, leaving no time for school, or you scan forums endlessly and regurgitate what you see elsewhere. In any case, the opportunity for documentation exists.

Just pointing out that you may want to provide better documentation for your opinions. Any good school requires it, so I'm sure you are used to doing that. :-)

Quick Reply: Recommend a handling upgrade...