Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

quattro systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quattro systems

What is the difference between the quattro systems in the A3 and A4? Does the A3 system provide sufficient AWD function to justify the cost?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torsen based quattro and Haldex based quattro both have pros and cons. Ultimately it boils down

to what you want/need it to do - as to whether it's worth it. Haldex based quattro such as found in the A3 and TT is perfectly fine for most conditions. It's similar to what is found under Volvos, Saabs, and a number of other manufacturers. It all boils down to the programming.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here's my situation

I live in southern Kentucky where the winters are moderate. For heavy snow conditions, I have a 4WD pickup truck. The remainder of the year, I drive a lot of curvy two-lane blacktop roads in the mountains that are frequently rain-slick.

Is the Haldex system a wise purchase for me?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've survived 10 years driving in Canada....

Without 4x4.
First snowfall was today, and the A3 (with winter tires) was an absolute doll.

Drove past 7 or 8 accidents on a 10 minute drive, and I had no traction problems at all.

I'm under the assumption that "moderate" and "American" snowfall don't begin to compare to a Canadian flurry
Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The Haldex is probably ideally suited to you. It's fwd until slip is detected via wheels sensors

that then send however much power is needed, to the rear wheels. You can obtain a Haldex controller (search this forum) if you want a more aggressive program that sends power to the rear wheels quicker, and for longer. But just stock, it's going to be a million times better than 2wd.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 PM

Haldex will be fine.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:21 AM

Default 4 tires beats 4 wheels most of the time...

I've had an A4 Quattro and an A3 FWD in serious winter conditions (driving in the northern Adirondacks) and Quattro is really nice for certain somewhat rare situations, but four high-quality winter tires will do more for you 90% of the time.

Quattro helps get you moving in deep stuff and has a small but helpful effect on cornering traction, but none on braking and very little if any on lane-change stability in the slippery stuff.

Four snows make a huge difference in all of these circumstances and do not exact the weight and complexity toll which AWD does.

We will need to replace my wife's 2003 VW Passat wagon fairly soon and while I will consider AWD, will probably stick with our seasonal tire change routine instead.

-dan
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Why Quattro for merely wet roads?

With Quattro you're constantly paying a penalty in gas mileage, weight, and even reduced trunk space. There's a slight advantage when taking off from a stop with a heavy right foot.

We have a certain reputation for wet weather up here in the Pacific NW, and the lack of Quattro is no problem to me.

I agree with divo_2.0T and danham, that FWD works fine for all but driving through deep snow. I'll put the Dunlop Wintersports on soon for the winter, including crossing the Cascade mountains in significant snow. Last winter there were several occasions when that combination easily got through "chains required" conditions with absolutely no problem, not even a blink from the ESP light.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Re: The Haldex is probably ideally suited to you. It's fwd until slip is detected via wheels sensors

please excuse my noob question:
What's the difference between Haldex and usual 4x4? Isn't 4x4 a FWD till slip detected, too?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Haldex based awd is 2wd until slip is lost, so driveline losses are minimal

There is a slight loss of space and increase of weight, but it has fewer downsides in good weather when compared to QTR. In any case, awd does not help at all unless some power is flowing to the wheels, so once you are off the gas, any advantage is lost. With awd, you want to tickle the throttle and point where you want to go.

Quick Reply: quattro systems